BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Crofty and Brundle, an epic combination.

I also didn't realise the BBC had access to the Sky commentary. I hope they do cheap out and just use Brundle/Crofty rather than trying to make a half arsed attempt with their own people.

It will be a major loss for R5L though :(

Caporegime
BBC could always bring back LegEnd, he was ace...

Super_FUUU_Face.jpg

Soldato
I hope the BBC just use the Sky team... otherwise the coverage will have an air of discontinuity about it. F1 coverage is all about the continuity, especially over a single season. You can't have Team A talking about say the ban on special ECU maps at Silverstone and then Team B makes no mention of it in the following race coverage... for example. But also just simple things like tracking the success and failures of drivers over the season.

Ted Kravitz has an infectious enthusiasm when he reports on things and he seems to gel well with the the MB and DC commentary. It's no surprise that Sky are looking at poaching him as well.

As good as Jake, EJ etc are. They are nothing without MB. If MB goes to Sky then I think BBC will call it quits and just use the Sky coverage.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I would have no issue at all with the BBC just showing the Sky coverage of the race in full, comentary, pitlane crew, padock reporters, the lot.

Wrapping EJ, DC and Jake around either end of it as they do now would be fine too, providing they don't start doing it from a studio.

I am seriously thinking about getting Sky TV though. I have lost track of so much global and national motorsport, and I hate it.

Soldato
If Sky get Brundle and Kravitz to carry on their roles as they do for the BBC then I'm sold. Brundle is brilliant and if he wants to get involved with lots of other programming, I'm assuming F1 stuff, and Sky keep Kravitz as the pitlane pundit then they've got the makings of a very good team. As long as Legend and commentator/pitlane pundit Allen don't get anywhere near it of course. I think having EJ on Sky would be a laugh but would he want to do it. Are Sky even after him or are they just trying to sign what they see as the BBC's best presentational talent? I can't see DC moving and Jake is a rising star with BBC Sport so he'll be doing Olympics and athletics for Aunty.

Man of Honour
I thought it had already been announced that the BBC and Sky broadcasts will share commentators, but have their own pre and post race shows.

So essentially it's Sky producing all the races and then the BBC will be rebroadcasting some of it.

As long as that beige bint Georgie Thompson stays away...

Soldato
The whole reason the BBC are doing it though is to cut costs. Which means sending less people to each race, maybe not even any at all.

They won't be saving much money if they're still sending a huge squad to produce the pre-race shows. That is where 80% of the production time and money is spent!

The actual commentary is just two guys in a room with microphones. Oddly that is the easiest bit that costs almost nothing and doesn't even need to be done track-side (as R5L prove!)

I think that Jake will be out of a job, as well as loads of other BBC staff. The key faces like MB, DC, EJ, TK will get poached by Sky. And the BBC will just regurgitate the same pre-race content and commentary that Sky pumps out.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I would have no issue at all with the BBC just showing the Sky coverage of the race in full, comentary, pitlane crew, padock reporters, the lot.

Wrapping EJ, DC and Jake around either end of it as they do now would be fine too, providing they don't start doing it from a studio.

I am seriously thinking about getting Sky TV though. I have lost track of so much global and national motorsport, and I hate it.

If the 5 Live commentary ends up being rubbish, I'll have to go that way too. Thwarting my plans!

Caporegime
Crofty and Brundle, an epic combination.

I also didn't realise the BBC had access to the Sky commentary. I hope they do cheap out and just use Brundle/Crofty rather than trying to make a half arsed attempt with their own people.

It will be a major loss for R5L though :(
Am I being naive in thinking theres little reason for them not to use the SS team considering its a clause in the deal so doubtful it will cost them anything significant and more likely cheaper than getting their own team in place, in situ. Very much more likely then to have the presentating team in studio then...

Hell, Id be more annoyed if they dont as the position we are now in is due to cost-cutting so cant see why they wouldnt as part of that philiosphy...

And yes Im still not getting SS!

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime
I thought it had already been announced that the BBC and Sky broadcasts will share commentators, but have their own pre and post race shows.

So essentially it's Sky producing all the races and then the BBC will be rebroadcasting some of it.

As long as that beige bint Georgie Thompson stays away...

It was for the reruns of the 10 races they wont show live. Think this is the first time they have said anything about doing it for the live races too.

The actual commentary is just two guys in a room with microphones. Oddly that is the easiest bit that costs almost nothing and doesn't even need to be done track-side (as R5L prove!)

The R5L team are at the track for most races.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom