***** The Official Galaxy Nexus Thread *****

Associate
Overall the SGS2 with ICS is more appealing to me than the Prime but this is, I appreciate, a probably not well held view. I just prefer the better SoC and better size. And seriously, sd card. Don't leave these out, people use them a lot.

If there was a guarantee of the SGSII getting ICS quickly then I would order one now. But the more likely scenario going by past history is that Samsung wont release an update until April or May or something.

Soldato
I think it's got a 5MP sensor for the zero shutter lag feature. Only the S3 Snapdragon has been advertised with dedicated hardware acceleration for this type of time stamp buffering (and the HTC touch 4G thinggy only does ~15fps @ 8MP)
Maybe they decided for smoother on screen fps with the camera app open? That's the full 2600x2000 resolution btw, take a shot and it pulls a buffered image with the exact time stamp.
There's tons of other cool features you can do with a buffered set of full res shots :)

Soldato
I'm not really fussed on the lack of external storage. I've never used an microSD card in a phone and currently I'm using a grand total of 170mb on the internal storage of my SGS II.

The factors that would make me consider an upgrade are:

* Immediate availability of ICS
* NFC
* Big fat juicy screen

Soldato
NFC is... well lets say I'd rather everyone experienced it first before calling it a wanted feature. I wish to god it was amazing but currently its often slower than paying by card on my trial handsets. To give you some idea of what I mean if you've been through UK passport control with an E-passport within the last 18 months and you've played the game of trying to get your passport to be read by the god awful machine. It's like that.

Morning rumour is not all networks are picking this up by the way. I have nothing concrete I can offer as proof and CPW and the like will probably pick this up as they love OEM units but don't expect a full house on this one unless a late deal was done.

Soldato
Well I've read most stuff on it now and my feelings are somewhere between mixed and positive.

Just like anything I buy, I'll be waiting for some full reviews and seeing if the price is competitive. If it is considerably more than the SGS2 then that will annoy me.

Man of Honour
OP
This was never going to be a massive leap from the GS2, they are saving that for April/may next year, just like they did a year ago.

The Galaxy Nexus is more about being an ICS platform/showcase then it is about being a powerhouse. I think some people have probably raised their expectations to high expecting an SGII beater.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Galaxy Nexus is more about being an LCS platform/showcase then it is about being a powerhouse. I think some people have probably raised their expectations to high expecting an SGII beater.

Yeah agreed. If you want POWAH then I guess you should wait for the SGS III. However if you want a better user experience then perhaps an upgrade to the Nexus is in order :)

Man of Honour
Swing....and a miss.

It's a shame this handset - they made TI a first party reference and this handset has suffered because of it. All the other bits are really nice and I'd even begrudgingly accept the 5MP unit instead of the Sony 8MP if it wasn't for the SoC choice. Screen's really nice but I'll wait for v2 of it RGB.

Overall the SGS2 with ICS is more appealing to me than the Prime but this is, I appreciate, a probably not well held view. I just prefer the better SoC and better size. And seriously, sd card. Don't leave these out, people use them a lot.

I am looking forward to ICS on my S2 as well, still, looking forward to having both side by side even if the S2 is quite a bit beefier on the hardware specs front, just not the screen.

Soldato
^ Feb to April. Guaranteed to come with a 32nm High-K Exynos SoC baring a disaster, hopefully a sAMOLED+ HD screen and 1/2.3" camera sensor too.

Associate
I like everything apart from the no sdcard slot. I'm in the process of getting a 64 GB SDXC card to hold my music and data so 32 GB will never do. :( :( :(

Back
Top Bottom