• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD® Phenom™ II Overclocking Thread

Soldato
Back again, quick question and probably a stupid one :D, but faster speed=more heat even without voltage bump?

Tried for 2600Mhz on the cpu-nb @1.2V (what I had it at anyway), but seems I may be at the limit of my cooler :( (212+), 58C after hour of prime, still under 62C, but getting abit close and most people say keep under 55c, and I'd also have no room for temp rise in summer :(.

So seems there is only one thing to do, shiny new cooler :D.

Soldato
Prime95 test, I think I could drop the voltage to 1.40.

42ghz.png

Permabanned
And you're going over the thermal limit, only half an hour in.

I highly doubt the CPUTIN is correct on there and he is best off looking at the core temperatures which are well within the limits. If it was hitting 64c the computer would shut down I would have thought, or at least make a warning beep, unless of course he has turned warnings and throttling/shutdown off.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Core Temps should never be looked at, they are ALWAYS wrong. CPUTIN is his actual temp, so he's 2C over recommended thermal limits. The CPU isn't going to explode, but its not healthy to run at that temp for long periods.

Permabanned
Core Temps should never be looked at, they are ALWAYS wrong. CPUTIN is his actual temp, so he's 2C over recommended thermal limits. The CPU isn't going to explode, but its not healthy to run at that temp for long periods.

The only time I have seen that CPUTIN is right is if it is lower than the core temps. 12-13c higher makes no sense at all to me and I would not trust that reading. My Phenom 2 blue screens at 63c or above on the CPUTIN after running at that temperature for a few minutes in Prime95. My core temps were reporting 66c at the time.

Soldato
It only runs that hot on Prime95, doesn't go above 64c. Doesn't really bother as me no games/software stress it out that much and i'm not one of these hardcore overclocking nuts that nurses a semi while overclocking everything.

beside i'll have an X6 coming tomorrow anyway.

Permabanned
It only runs that hot on Prime95, doesn't go above 64c. Doesn't really bother as me no games/software stress it out that much and i'm not one of these hardcore overclocking nuts that nurses a semi while overclocking everything.

beside i'll have an X6 coming tomorrow anyway.

Exactly, if it works then leave it. Thinking of getting an x6 and selling my 955 as well.

Caporegime
I highly doubt the CPUTIN is correct on there and he is best off looking at the core temperatures which are well within the limits. If it was hitting 64c the computer would shut down I would have thought, or at least make a warning beep, unless of course he has turned warnings and throttling/shutdown off.

64c isn't that hot, but it's past the AMD core limits.
Not that it'd bother me lol.

Soldato
64c isn't that hot, but it's past the AMD core limits.
Not that it'd bother me lol.

aye, wouldn't imagine 2*C would make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. why do AMD have there maximum temperatures so low compared to Intel? me mate had a Pentium D that would run for hours and hours, days and weeks on end at 90*C and insane temperatures like that, is it because of SOI? :confused:

Permabanned
SRSLY

Why would you care about cpu lifespan ?? Even if it will die in 3 years how many of YOU had cpu over 2 years ??
I change them every year for something never. It is best way to go tbh. You sell what you have for some descent cash add another 80-100 and you got new one. And 4 year old cpu is worth **** ALL. So you need to spend like 200 on new one and you still had to use one cpu for over 4 years.
Its like my roommate hes got c2d he payd **** loads for 4.5 year ago. Now it cant run **** on it.... Only way is full upgrade for him.

Soldato
Why would you care about cpu lifespan ?? Even if it will die in 3 years how many of YOU had cpu over 2 years ??
I change them every year for something never. It is best way to go tbh. You sell what you have for some descent cash add another 80-100 and you got new one. And 4 year old cpu is worth **** ALL. So you need to spend like 200 on new one and you still had to use one cpu for over 4 years.
Its like my roommate hes got c2d he payd **** loads for 4.5 year ago. Now it cant run **** on it.... Only way is full upgrade for him.

most Core 2 Duo processors are still pretty reasonable, good friend of mine still has E6750 in his system with a HD 4870 and it still runs most things rather well. ranging from Starcraft II > Battlefield 3 (obviously not maxed mind, but he isn't concerned), all depends on personal tolerances to be honest.

Soldato
Back again and another quick question. Made a tweak to my cooling and got 2600mhz on the cpu-nb and kept to 55C, so last thing I want to do is my memory now.

Genesis grey has settings for [email protected], but most say it will happily do them at 1.5V, so I'm going to try that. So my question is do I need to prime again once I've done it, or as I know the 3.8ghz clock speed+ 2600mhz cpu-nb is stable, I can just do standard memtest run and hope for no errors?

Soldato

My 550BE has been running for 2 and a half years and still runs everything I load very effectively, even having taken my overclock off. Cpu upgrades are somewhat overhyped imo. Certainly no need to upgrade every year. That's a luxury, not a necessity.

Soldato
Buchtis -I'm in Chaddesden if you need any advice / help - I have my 1055T @ 4ghz on all 6 cores :)

Yes please, i'd like some rough clocks to try. Had my 955 at 4.2 so I should be able to reach 4Ghz quite easily I hope. Do I need to turn Turbo Boost or what ever it's called on or off though if i'm overclocking.

Back
Top Bottom