Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
The standard ST220 brakes do feel a bit weak as the pedal needs to be pushed hard to get the most out of them.

However in an emergency stop when you stamp them the car does stop pretty well, thankfully. :o

They didn't put anything special on the ST220 did they, think they are just standard Mondeo brakes.

Shared with the Mk3 Ghia X I believe, which are different from the rest of the Mk3 range. Not certain on that though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Don't be daft :p

Weighing up what few modding options there are for the ST220 is all part of the fun. I may also leave it at factory and concentrate on the ICE. In total I'm prepared to spend circa 1000 in upgrades or ICE. Other than essential ongoing maintenance that is.

I'm very happy with my purchase thanks ;)

no other car sounds like the impreza though.

The impreza sounds the way it does due to using a flat four "boxer" engine and unequal length manifolds in the exhaust.

You simply cannot get a V6 car to sound like it. If that isn't an issue, then maybe you have bought the right car.

Look at blueflame exhausts, as well as JP Exhausts and mongoose.

Permabanned
I have had mine since February, 53 plate on 57k currently.
Tyres are a little pricey aren't they, just bought 2 x Michelin pilot sports last night which cost me £270 and the rears will be due in a couple of months.

That said it is a really really nice car, very comfortable and easy to drive, it does feel a little lazy though (another 50bhp would probably sort that though) when you want to make it go.

I have just had an LPG conversion on mine as I plan to keep it, and with it being a pretty thirsty car it will be worth it. I can't tell any difference running it on petrol or LPG performance wise.

I would be interested to know what the options are for modding it however, releasing more sound from the V6 I think is going to have to be done sooner rather than later (without the missus knowing lol)

Permabanned
This reminds me, I still need to get out there and get some bloody videos of mine now it sounds rather awesome.

And some new pictures won't go amiss either.

I have 4 days off work after today so hopefully the weather will be kind.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21638702 said:
When we tried a thread like this for BMW it was constantly trashed until we had to give up :p :(

Why don't we/you start another one and set some rules?

I used to own an ST220. Fantastic car. Mine had a sunroof, xenons and sat nav. Really enjoyed owning that car. I ended up selling it to a friend who ran it into the 100k's without any major problems.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Here's mine (while it was still at the dealer)

img0065nl.jpg

Current issues are: 8-way electric passenger seat control only works 7-way and electric passenger wing mirror doesn't move to all positions.

Mods: none - just a vent-mounted phone holder. Previous owner put on grooved and slotted Mintex brakes + pads which I intend to replace.

Future upgrades: 2012 Pioneer double-din HU, ASBO brakes, Redstuff pads, Goodridge hoses.

VTR

VTR

Soldato
Picked up a 2005 Mondeo ST155 TDi Estate yesterday, was looking at the A4 140 S line's but it was less than half the price so made a lot more sense :)

Caporegime
Picked up a 2005 Mondeo ST155 TDi Estate yesterday, was looking at the A4 140 S line's but it was less than half the price so made a lot more sense :)

Going off advice from the owners forum I tried to keep my ST in the 'boost range'. With some diesel you can (once warmed up of course) bang it in 6th and bumble along in a 30 but as soon as you reach an incline or need to speed up it's labouring and that's what kills the DMF/clutch as it's from the Ford range of cheese's. 15k miles in mine and it was still fine, I have full confidence that it will continue to live on if the new owner heeds my advice.

If the injectors are on their way out get them refurbed ASAP, don't leave it. The OEM exhaust is no longer made, so you'll either have to get a non-ST 2.2 exhaust or an after market for about 250-300, if you need one, of course.

*ahem*

Great cars, though. :p

Soldato
Here's mine (while it was still at the dealer)

snip

Current issues are: 8-way electric passenger seat control only works 7-way and electric passenger wing mirror doesn't move to all positions.

Mods: none - just a vent-mounted phone holder. Previous owner put on grooved and slotted Mintex brakes + pads which I intend to replace.

Future upgrades: 2012 Pioneer double-din HU, ASBO brakes, Redstuff pads, Goodridge hoses.

Looks great!

Associate
Going off advice from the owners forum I tried to keep my ST in the 'boost range'. With some diesel you can (once warmed up of course) bang it in 6th and bumble along in a 30 but as soon as you reach an incline or need to speed up it's labouring and that's what kills the DMF/clutch as it's from the Ford range of cheese's. 15k miles in mine and it was still fine, I have full confidence that it will continue to live on if the new owner heeds my advice.

If the injectors are on their way out get them refurbed ASAP, don't leave it. The OEM exhaust is no longer made, so you'll either have to get a non-ST 2.2 exhaust or an after market for about 250-300, if you need one, of course.

*ahem*

Great cars, though. :p

I had that problem with my exhaust last month, back box snapped off, so bought a SS system.

Associate
Looking to get a set of rear tyres next week and looking to either get some Eagle F1 A2 or Vredestein ultrac sessanta. Anyone have those on their ST before and whether they're any good?

Back
Top Bottom