Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
What are running costs like for the ST220? The more I look at them, the more I want one. Such a handsome car and from the sounds of it excellent to drive as well. I've just seen this example and was keen to go see it:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...d/radius/20/postcode/gu151qr/page/1?logcode=p

Is there anything to look out for or something I may have missed in the specs as it looks perfect! Also, what kinda prices are they normally at? This example is one of the more expensive ones I've seen but it seems to have pretty much everything included.

Associate
Check its a pre March 2006 for cheaper tax otherwise your going to be forking out over £400 a year

Servicing & Parts are cheap, petrol is the biggest cost with these cars as your usually going to see 22-25mpg

Insurance is cheap (just renewed mine through skyinsurance - £450)

Soldato
OP
Petrol and front tyres are the biggests costs, they're very reliable and servicing and parts are not as bad as you'd expect from a performance car. It really is a beautifully well-rounded vehicle. :)

Soldato
Also try and go for a facelift model (post-03). Much nicer interior. That one you linked to is a stunner but very expensive. A mint 04 plate can be had for 3000 upwards with slightly more mileage of course.

Permabanned
What are running costs like for the ST220? The more I look at them, the more I want one. Such a handsome car and from the sounds of it excellent to drive as well. I've just seen this example and was keen to go see it:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...d/radius/20/postcode/gu151qr/page/1?logcode=p

Is there anything to look out for or something I may have missed in the specs as it looks perfect! Also, what kinda prices are they normally at? This example is one of the more expensive ones I've seen but it seems to have pretty much everything included.

That looks a tad expensive. I paid just under 6k for my 05 plate ST220 14 months ago. In PB with all the kit, the only thing the one you linked to has that mine doesn't is the bluetooth.

Saying that, I wouldn't mind paying slightly above the odds for a good one with genuine low miles and FSH, it's only going to help resale value and as these things seem to be growing old gracefully and edging more into classic fast ford territory - there's a good chance they're going to hold their value more, especially the cherished ones.

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;21681638 said:
That one is expensive but it does look absolutely pristine inside and out and is a fantastic specification, too.

It seems very similar to mine condition wise and has all the right kit on it. Has just over 10k more miles but even at 50k they're hardly run in anyway.

I'd still say it's about £600-£800 overpriced though.

Man of Honour
It seems very similar to mine condition wise and has all the right kit on it. Has just over 10k more miles but even at 50k they're hardly run in anyway.

I'd still say it's about £600-£800 overpriced though.

I find it hard to get that bothered about 600 quid. So you walk away because it's 600 quid over, how long will it take to find another one as good but £600 cheaper, is it really worth it?

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;21682034 said:
I find it hard to get that bothered about 600 quid. So you walk away because it's 600 quid over, how long will it take to find another one as good but £600 cheaper, is it really worth it?

I'm inclined to agree with you on that one.

Walking away from what could well be one of the better ST220 examples out there for the sake of a few hundred quid would be daft.

I paid what I thought was a few hundred over the odds for mine for exactly the same reason, it was fully loaded, the correct colour (for me), low miles, FSH and one owner. Saw it on the saturday, handed the cash over on the wednesday and drove it away thursday night.

I wasn't willing to walk away from it as it ticked every single box and the price wasn't a million miles away.

As they age, the really really good ones are getting even rarer. Same could be said for any car really but the fact there just isn't many of these about to begin with makes it a tough choice if the asking prices is up at the top end of budget.

Looking around there seems to be two types of owners of ST220's now - the (for want of a better word) chavvy 'is a V6 innit' type who'll stick ditchfinders on it and rag it away to the redline from cold every verse end, and the ones who wrap them in cotton wool and are slightly obsessional about the whole ownership thing.

The one linked in this guys post looks like it comes from the second example.

So do it.

Buy it.

Now.

(then change the chrome trimmed facelift stuff for pre or mid-facelift and it'll look a lot, lot better :D)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm inclined to agree with you on that one.

Walking away from what could well be one of the better ST220 examples out there for the sake of a few hundred quid would be daft.

I paid what I thought was a few hundred over the odds for mine for exactly the same reason, it was fully loaded, the correct colour (for me), low miles, FSH and one owner. Saw it on the saturday, handed the cash over on the wednesday and drove it away thursday night.

I wasn't willing to walk away from it as it ticked every single box and the price wasn't a million miles away.

As they age, the really really good ones are getting even rarer. Same could be said for any car really but the fact there just isn't many of these about to begin with makes it a tough choice if the asking prices is up at the top end of budget.

Looking around there seems to be two types of owners of ST220's now - the (for want of a better word) chavvy 'is a V6 innit' type who'll stick ditchfinders on it and rag it away to the redline from cold every verse end, and the ones who wrap them in cotton wool and are slightly obsessional about the whole ownership thing.

The one linked in this guys post looks like it comes from the second example.

So do it.

Buy it.

Now.

Agreed, get it bought.

Man of Honour
My Mondeos, do i win because i have 2?

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Man of Honour
Only for a few minutes to warm it up then on 1 or 2

Ive sold my ST220 now it wasnt worth owning, the amount of fuel it uses isnt worth it for the performance you get ie no low down power, fancy something turbo or bmw 330

another reason i sold it was because my mates 61 plate golf gt tdi 170 easily kept up was proper gutted

Man of Honour
Ive sold my ST220 now it wasnt worth owning

LOLDANNYW

, the amount of fuel it uses isnt worth it for the performance you get ie no low down power, fancy something turbo or bmw 330

Yea, because a BMW 330 is like, totally different performance wise.

another reason i sold it was because my mates 61 plate golf gt tdi 170 easily kept up was proper gutted

You sold a car for that reason? Just... wow. I take it you know it requires a significantly larger performance level to prevent somebody 'keeping up' right? It's far easier to follow than it is to lead and on public roads something invariably slows you down before you've had a chance to eek out a significant gap.

I suggest if you intend on selling any car you can't use to lose your mates Golf then you purchase a 911 Turbo.

Back
Top Bottom