ArcheAge, Ultima Online's rebirth?

Soldato
Because I don't end up spending like £300 + a week on them.

On a serious note my 3 favorite MMOs of all time were P2P so maybe I'm linking it because of that, maybe it was because it was the infancy of MMOs and the players were of a different breed than they are now, maybe because the player base generally was more mature, also with the fact they were P2P the games seemed to be more solid. I know this doesn't always ring true, look at SW, TERA etc but as a general rule I prefer them.

I've gone back to a game that was P2P and is now F2P and it defo is different than what it was, it's far easier since it has become f2p.

Soldato
OP

F2P attracts the wrong crowd, it opens up the player base to the younger community which in turns lowers the tone of the entire game.

The developers then start aiming development around making as much money as possible instead of creating content the gamers want.

The pay to play model forces the younger generation to jump through hoops to play, provides blocks for people too young to play and also forces the developers to be held up to a higher standard.

In the end if your paying £10 a month for a game, you want content that is up to the standard, if you are not paying a monthly fee, who cares? You can pick up the game when ever and if the content is lacking, you can just drop it.

It removes the responsibility in game development and the same can be said about removing the holy trinity from gaming, with no responsibility who can be held accountable for anything?

Soldato
F2P attracts the wrong crowd, it opens up the player base to the younger community which in turns lowers the tone of the entire game.

The developers then start aiming development around making as much money as possible instead of creating content the gamers want.

The pay to play model forces the younger generation to jump through hoops to play, provides blocks for people too young to play and also forces the developers to be held up to a higher standard.

In the end if your paying £10 a month for a game, you want content that is up to the standard, if you are not paying a monthly fee, who cares? You can pick up the game when ever and if the content is lacking, you can just drop it.

It removes the responsibility in game development and the same can be said about removing the holy trinity from gaming, with no responsibility who can be held accountable for anything?

Because a monthly sub kept the younger generation away from WoW?

Oh wait it didn't

Soldato
Wow proved that a monthly sub is no barrier to playing regardless of age though. To think otherwise is redundent, Xbox live is also proof of age doesn't matter when paying for a sub.

A game just has to be designed to be f2p or box cost and then free to play (not p2w) out the door. GW2 I think got this part perfect, aslong as what you are buying doesn't equate to character power gains I don't see any problem with cash shops.

Out of interest, what f2p titles do you think chased the $ rather than creating a fun gameplay experiance?

AA is looking very nice, and more importantly they don't appear to be following the WoW style MMO formula. Trouble is Asain MMO = grind.

Soldato
+1 I much prefer the P2P model.

Same, prefer the P2P model if it can be maintained but the latest F2P models seem to be quite successful. But generally P2P seems to keep *most* of the idiots out and in games where they cannot successfully contribute anything (unlike PS2 where theyre at least cannon fodder for a portion of their existence) its just a better experience. If I see one more 'lololol im a girl. in her underwear!' character in TSW...

Soldato
OP
Wow proved that a monthly sub is no barrier to playing regardless of age though. To think otherwise is redundent, Xbox live is also proof of age doesn't matter when paying for a sub.

It does provide a barrier, i know a lot of parents who's kids want to play WoW but they wont let them.

So I'm sorry but what you said while only marginally true, is in fact not the case.

A game just has to be designed to be f2p or box cost and then free to play (not p2w) out the door. GW2 I think got this part perfect, aslong as what you are buying doesn't equate to character power gains I don't see any problem with cash shops.

GW2 would definitely not be surviving this long with the content it has if it was P2P. The reason it is still here is down to it being F2P.

There content is horrific, there is nothing to do at max level and the "raids" they offered are bugged since release. The WvWvW is plagued with exploits and imbalance and generally is a shining example of why a F2P model is so crap.

Look at SWTOR, they where P2P and when there customers started complaining about certain features, they where added like looking for group. Yet GW2 still to this day hasn't fixed most of the raiding bugs.

WoW at the beginning had very few raids, content was being consumed faster then they could produce it, so the player base complained and in the end they created more content and longer lasting content.

Free to play is and always will be in the benefit of the publisher and not the consumer.

Quote from MMORPG ;)

Unfortunately, it’s not all peaches with free-to-play. Where MMO developers have focused on addictive qualities to keep gamers playing subscription based games (often to the games’ detriment) in order to maintain those subscriptions, strictly free-to-play games tend to over-integrate their item shops into the game to the point where it becomes obtrusive, if not outright obnoxious. There are, of course, some exceptions to this rule, but the stigma these games have earned, especially the familiar “Pay-to-Win” moniker, isn’t entirely exaggerated.

It’s fine if you want to sell convenience items and the like in order to make up for not having a subscription. However, when you set the XP/currency earning curve such that it feels like purchasing an XP booster is necessary if you want to avoid grinding your eyes out to keep up with other players, at that point I’d rather drop my $15.

Out of interest, what f2p titles do you think chased the $ rather than creating a fun gameplay experiance?

GW2 - Black Lion Trading Key and the booster packs.

SWTOR (Even though it was P2P) - There entire shop

Runes of magic or what ever it was called, where you had to pay £ for being able to resurrect.

To name but a few, but you are creating a strawman argument, so discussion about the above will end right here.

AA is looking very nice, and more importantly they don't appear to be following the WoW style MMO formula. Trouble is Asain MMO = grind.

And free to play.

Ultimately F2P is a curse/blight upon MMORPG's and sadly doesnt seem to be going away. I just hope some companies still care about the players and want to churn out the content for us and not for the publishers share prices.

Soldato
Last Asian game I played that had a grind was 10 years ago, all been easy mode since then so I'm hoping this is a little bit more of a challenge than your average.

Last edited:
Associate
Last Asian game I played that had a grind was 10 years ago, all been easy mode since then so I'm hoping this is a little bit more of a challenge than your average.

What's your definition of easy mode? You can't assume everyone has the same definition. The time spent leveling? You'll be max level in 2 weeks if playing 8 hours a day. Leveling is secondary.

Once leveling is out of the way you can start to focus on pvp and taking territory and enjoy what the world has to offer

The thread title was a question and not a statement. I guess if you worked for a better gaming site you'd understand the importance of the question mark.
Never said it was a statement, but an association or a preconceived expectation? Could be. And this is just a blog I posted on I don't work for them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I never said entirely, it just reduces the numbers substantially.

If a 10 year old wants to play WoW, he had to get his parents permission to not only buy the game, but to make the monthly commitment.

To which their parent would coincide to because they were thinking "have my kid playing out with hoodlums until 8pm each night, or in a room, in this house, under my roof. With me having the power to cancel his account if it gets out of hand..."

I think the P2P is successful for that reason alone!

Soldato
OP
To which their parent would coincide to because they were thinking "have my kid playing out with hoodlums until 8pm each night, or in a room, in this house, under my roof. With me having the power to cancel his account if it gets out of hand..."

I think the P2P is successful for that reason alone!

Now we are moving into parenting skills and that is an entirely different subject. Not implying anything with that statement, just to clarify.

Personally when my son is old enough to understand what computer games are, i wont be letting him have free run of the computer.

Soldato
I'm not quite sure what this thread is about ?! it started off about a game then it went onto F2P v P2P, then onto kids playing F2P and P2P. Now its on about parenting.

Thread certainly has been and interesting read though ! :D

Might have a look into this game, but I have to say MMO's for me are just dead. Its all the same thing just different title and different setting. But I still keep an eye on them in the hopes something will emerge that will entice me back.

Back
Top Bottom