OcUK MTB MEET GLENTRESS - NOW RESCHEDULED FOR JUNE 28-30th (Spaces Available)

Soldato
I'll be going providing it's safe getting there/back with the forecast and as long as the trails aren't too deep, don't mind a bit of slow, just means it's drifty :) bit pointless if hike-a-biking is necessary.

My local riding group went up to Dumfries & Galloway weekend before last, stayed 1 night, then returned home as the trails were under 1-2 feet of snow and their lodge had a power cut :p

Soldato
Will keep the thread posted as best I can. A couple of other forums have lots of locals who ride there all the time and are generally updating daily.

Unless it's deep - i'm up for a bit of snow riding!

Soldato
The Novelty of snow riding soon wears off. If the snow hasn't completely gone we won't be coming. Get enough snow here. Don't want to drive 4 hours for more.
Indeed, doing a long pedal in snow ain't fun. Going out for a quick blast is amusing, but a long drive, just to plough through hours of snow...not so much.

Girl, just put your long socks on.

Yea yea big mouth, would love to see those spaghetti legs pedal through it for long.

Soldato
Snow is clear through here but I was through at Livingston today and there was a lot of snow still lying in the shade and on the hills. Doubt it with melt that fast :(

Soldato
Update from today from a chap on another forum.

Went to GT today 31/3/13:- Don't bother with Spooky, it's a push and hike a bike to the top, on some parts of the climb the snow is so deep people havn't even gone through it yet. The descent isn't much better and is pretty much unridable, i reckon the snow is that deep on spooky it will still be there till May as it's at least two or three feet in depth.
Super G is rideable if your good.
Below Super G all trails are Rideable and the lowest trails are not to bad at all, some are even clear.
On the lower trails and climbs up to Berm baby berm and electric blue the surface is like powdery crushed ice and is actually quite grippy above that it's a bit icy with soft snow, hardest climb is probably the fire road to the spooky climb bench so it's probably better to do Pennels and the red/blue climb as it's in better condition.

will keep updating as the week goes on

Man of Honour
OP
I have spoken with the guy who runs the wigwams today and he has said that it is slowly beginning to thaw out and they still have a lot of people out riding, the only ones who have struggled are people attempting the full black as it gets deep at the back half.

So long as they don't get another deluge this week, which looking at the weather report won't happen a lot of the snow should clear for the weekend, he is going to call me with an update on Wednesday.

Soldato
I have spoken with the guy who runs the wigwams today and he has said that it is slowly beginning to thaw out and they still have a lot of people out riding, the only ones who have struggled are people attempting the full black as it gets deep at the back half.

So long as they don't get another deluge this week, which looking at the weather report won't happen a lot of the snow should clear for the weekend, he is going to call me with an update on Wednesday.

Good stuff, keep us updated.

Was up there on the 8th March but there wasn't much snowfall, but it was ****** freezing!

Soldato
Its not looking good, found some pics and a video of people there on the 31st and it doesn't look like fun, i could walk round faster.

Soldato
I'm happy to go with the masses - if you lot aren't going then I'll give it a miss but otherwise I'll be there. I presume if I aim for 10am arrival on saturday that's ok?

Soldato
I did the red route today and the only part that is free of snow is the last section. It wasn't too bad on the way down but plenty of hard packed snow with tyre tracks that you tramline into.

Fire road up from the Buzzards Nest carpark
glentress3.jpg

Start of Spooky Woods
glentress4.jpg

Top fire road
glentress5.jpg

Top of Spooky Woods
glentress6.jpg

glentress7.jpg

glentress8.jpg

glentress9.jpg

glentress10.jpg