***The Official HTC One Thread***

Soldato
Just an update. I checked the tracking of my repair from HTC. The device was received on the 19th and today it says 'Repair Complete'

Fingers crossed it comes back ok.

Associate
[TW]Fox;24160583 said:
Are you suggesting that if you get one with gaps etc you can simply continually send it back to HTC until you are happy?

Depends on context, if it is really bad then I would send it back and if I didn't get an acceptable one back then I'd probably just cancel.

But what I'm really getting at is that there isn't just the gap issue, for example Stoosh has had problems with non responsive capacitive buttons and glue on his screen and didn't other people have issues with the camera lens been out of alignment and causing blurring?

All I'm saying is that I personally wouldn't consider it to have "superb build quality" however if you do experience any issues then you can get it replaced no problem.

Caporegime
To be fair, stoosh doesn't seem to have any luck with HTC handsets though :p IIRC he went through about 4 one X and 3-4 one S devices :p

Aside from stoosh and momo, have the others not got more or less perfect units? IIRC They say that they have the gap issue but it doesn't bother them.

Don't forget, you will always get the majority of people posting all the negatives/bad stuff online. Yes there does seem to be problems with the HTC one build/QC but that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else will have those problems i.e. my one S (from the first batch) doesn't have any problems at all compared to what other people had, same with robbo and his one X (from the first batch) etc.

From reading around other forums, the main and only issue I see the majority of people posting about is the gap at the top/bottom, overhang and screen not being flush with the rest of the device, but people have said that it is very minor and you wouldn't really notice it unless specifically looking for it.

IMO the reason the majority of people are mentioning about the gap(s) at the top etc. is because they are expecting there to be "zero gaps" due to HTC using that term, but HTC are only talking about the main aluminium body, the speaker covers aren't part of the CNC machine process/plastic injected, unfortunately a lot of review sites are getting confused with that too and reporting it wrongly....... I think it is being blown out of proportion in some ways as from the photos that I have seen, we are talking about less than a mm by the looks of it, could understand if it was more than 1mm and making a creaking etc. noise from being pushed etc. As said many times, I can see/feel several gaps on my S and even more on other phones.

The overhang and screen not being flush with the rest of the device (the one S and one X etc. screens are not exactly flush with the main body but is only noticeable by touch, only devices were this won't be an issue is when the entire front is glass i.e. nexus 4, gs 3 etc.) wouldn't really bother me unless it is very noticeable.

Regarding the camera lens not being aligned correctly, going by the photos that users are posting, I haven't seen this issue anywhere as much as what there was at the beginning, also don't think that it was a camera lens issue but was to do with the OIS system compensating for movement during the photo so either was fixed/improved with newer batches or fixed with the newer software build (1.29). Regarding the camera, the photos being posted by users across forums are looking so much better now than what we have been seeing from review sites and the very early adopters, macro shots are just insanely good.

I wouldn't put up with buttons not responding, dead pixels, glue on screen etc. though and I haven't seen that "many" people mentioning about those issues either.

Either way, I expect that HTC will have these issues sorted out for good very soon, they handle the one S and X issues pretty damn quickly and the majority of people were experiencing far more issues that were of far greater concern with those devices.

Last edited:
Soldato
*snip*

..the one thing that is putting me off is the media functions that come with this phone. What is the actual media player like, is it comparable to the iPod app that comes with the iPhone. Along with the usual suspects messaging,twitter etc the iPod app gets a lot of usage from me. I would take it that the video player is a bit more relaxed in terms of codecs that it supports?

I've just got one of these after having had an iPhone 4 for a couple of years - still getting to grips with it, but no regrets switching from iOS so far.

I did exactly the same switch. And for the first few days it seems a bit, weird. After then though, it is a similar experience (a lot of apps are available on both platforms), but with the added customisation of android; the much nicer looking screen - which is larger, and with a much higher ppi & resolution - with two very good speakers at either end of it; the BlinkFeed screen that is a well integrated feature that I have began to like a lot, and I'd expect there to be more sources for it in the future; a clever integration of the TV app that also shows you little reminders that favourite programs are on today within the BlinkFeed screen tiles, and being able to navigate from there to changing your TV straight to the channel it is on; the IR sensor which is a useful feature as well as a good one for the occasional prank/showoff.

For the music, I have found that you can place a widget on the homescreen, to control it from there. When the screen is locked with music playing, you can control it from the bottom of the screen, as well as swiping down from the top.

As shown in this picture:
HTCOneMUSIC_zpsadfe2205.gif

*Overall though, coming from an iPhone, this is a different experience. With that, I'd often be syncing the phone with iTunes, where as now I don't sync that often, and only when transferring music across from the PC, or an occasional set of backgrounds to the phone. A lot of transferring can now be done easily across things like Google Drive, or the drop box storage that is also included with the phone. There are also file management apps out there, but being used to the old sync ways of iOS, I rather like HTC's sync manager for my music and photos.

Last edited:
Associate
Either way, I expect that HTC will have these issues sorted out for good very soon, they handle the one S and X issues pretty damn quickly and the majority of people were experiencing far more issues that were of far greater concern with those devices.

Exactly, I'm not trying to put people off :p just saying it would be wise to inspect the handset and make sure it is how you want it and if it isn't HTC won't make it difficult for you to get a replacement

Caporegime
True.

Thankfully HTC seem to have improved vastly in their customer service/repair centre.

On the topic of QC/build issues:

The cost of iPhone quality control: $1.2B in faulty phones returned by Apple in 2013 alone

Apple recently returned at least 5 million iPhones to Foxconn this year due to some kind of unnamed defect. The Register notes that “with a cost to manufacture of $US200 apiece, Foxconn is apparently preparing to take a hit of up to $1.6bn to cover the cost of making replacement handsets,” which would certainly be a major blow to the world’s leading smartphone manufacturer. The report of the returned iPhones comes after Foxconn earlier this month posted a 19% drop in year-over-year revenue that was attributable in large part to “disappointing” recent iPhone sales.

Associate
Regarding the build quality issues, I have just recieved my Black HTC One and my dad recieved his Silver HTC One about 2 weeks ago.

My phone is perfect, not one gap between the speaker grills and the phone and the screen is perfectly flush. My dad's however has a gap that differs in size on both the upper and lower speaker grill where it meets the edge of the phone. I definitely think you have to be looking for it to notice it, and once noticed it's annoying. My dad hadn't noticed until I told him.

Regarding returns, I've only ever had to return one phone and that was a HTC One X to Phones4U. The experience couldn't have been simpler and I would definitely do it with this one if it had any build quality issues. It's as simple as ringing them up, explaining the issue, waiting for the pre paid postage to turn up and then waiting for a replacement, providing it's in stock.

Associate
I've just got one of these after having had an iPhone 4 for a couple of years - still getting to grips with it, but no regrets switching from IoS so far.

Same here. I've used android before when I had an HTC Hero and it's come on a massive amount. It's almost like for Android to work, relatively powerful hardware is required as a minimum whereas iOS scales better on slower devices.

The only thing I miss from iOS is the ability to airplay to my ATV2. Not a massive problem as it's running XBMC and everything can be done via that and Yatse remote on the phone, but it was nice to quickly send music to it via Airplay. This way is just a little bit more lengthy. The loss is easily made up by the overall camera function on the One. It's brilliant, Zoe is really useful and low light pictures are amazing.

Soldato
Well in my defense - the HTC One X devices I bought had some serious screen flex, one so bad it was like a trampoline! as well as the yellow discolouration (3 devices out of the 4) and the HOS had the chipping issues out of the box. Literally I would open the box and low and behold the HOS was chipped even before taking out of the box. I had to wait 3 months for HTC for the improved HOS and that thankfully didn't have the chipping issue.

The HTC devices that I didn't have a problem with were the HTC Hero, Nexus One, Desire, Desire Z, Desire HD and Incredible S. So if you look at it, I've had my fair share of HTC devices which haven't had problems than devices that do.

I've had countless of phones over the years and go through a fair few (more than your average user) and I've never experienced build issues with any other manufacturer. In fact I've never had to contact any of the manufacturers customer service team to notify that I have a problem with my device.

HTC themselves have acknowledged that the HO shouldn't have gaps (that was a conversation with a HTC CS rep on the phone) and he told me to send the phone back from where I bought it from or send it direct to HTC to get fixed. So if HTC are admitting that the gaps shouldn't be there and have only affected some devices (not that's the case because every HO that I've seen has a gap of some kind) why shouldn't I expect a HO minus a gap?

I personally don't care about the gaps as the phone will go in a case, but what bothers me is when the screen is uneven, there's glue on the side of the screen, unfinished rough bezel around the side of the phone and chipping out of the box, not to mention the unresponsive menu buttons.

All three HO's had some if not all the problems listed above and I'm not going to put up with the defects especially if they look like I haven't taken care of my phone.

I'm not OCD and I've put up with ink splodges on AMOLED screens and perceived camera rattling noise on the N4, I haven't gone to Samsung and Google respectively and asked for a replacement.

Yeah I've had hard luck when it comes to the HO, but that's how it goes, possibly when supplies are in abundance and HTC have got their manufacturing sorted out "decent" devices might turn up. Until then I'm going to sit this one out again. I've given the HO decent number of chances.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The experience couldn't have been simpler and I would definitely do it with this one if it had any build quality issues. It's as simple as ringing them up, explaining the issue, waiting for the pre paid postage to turn up and then waiting for a replacement, providing it's in stock.

That sounds like a terrible process, I'm amazed you think it having to send away your phone and WAIT for a replaecment 'couldnt be simplier' when you had bought it from a retail store!

Surely it could be simpler - you could have walked in and walked out 10 minutes later with a replacement device.

Soldato
Did you buy all/any of those HTC devices on/at launch stoosh or a few months after they had been launched?

All of the devices were bought on/at launch except for the Desire Z.

Interestingly enough I just got off the phone with HTC and the customer services rep stated that they are aware of the problem but just keep swapping out the device until you are happy, the batches in May "might" be better.

Failing that if the next device is bad, send it to HTC and they will attempt to fix the issues.

So in a nutshell it is pot luck whether you will get a device which doesn't exhibit some if not all the issues and if you are willing to live with the issues then you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom