• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX 780, 770 coming in May

Caporegime
Bit annoying how it's looking like out of a whole "family" of cards, we're only going to actually get ONE new card as such.

They may as well call said card a "Titan LE" and just keep the 700 series moniker for 20nm.

Agreed.

I would like the see the 780 at ~30% faster than the 680 and at the 680 price. I can understand why this launch is very uninteresting for some and it is looking that way for me as well.

Soldato
Actually, what I would like to see overall is a move to Intel's system of "tick, tock". A new architecture or major changes every 24 months, with process shrinks in between.

I don't see why it wouldn't work for graphics cards, and would mean something new to play with in terms of either performance, power consumption, or both, every year.

Not like it is now where AMD at least have been stagnant for longer than that.

Soldato
Bit annoying how it's looking like out of a whole "family" of cards, we're only going to actually get ONE new card as such.

They may as well call said card a "Titan LE" and just keep the 700 series moniker for 20nm.

Agreed, I think this 7XX gen will be quickly replaced by the 8XX cards as well, once AMD launch their own new cards. The 8XX will be all new cards based on Maxwell. Those that buy 7XX cards may feel a little jilted especially if they came from 670 / 680 series cards..

Soldato
Agreed, I think this 7XX gen will be quickly replaced by the 8XX cards as well, once AMD launch their own new cards. The 8XX will be all new cards based on Maxwell. Those that buy 7XX cards may feel a little jilted especially if they came from 670 / 680 series cards..

it is often the case that people don't buy refreshes, or skip a gen
lots of people that had 4** series didn't buy 5** etc.
I went from a 2** to a 5** and only went to a 6** because I managed to get a really good sale price on my 580 and a 670 actually cost me about the same

I certainly won't be getting rid of my Titan's any time soon, I may not even buy Maxwell, just "downgrade" from 7680x1440 to a 4K

Associate
My guess is the current 6x cards will remain priced as they are and these will fall in the middle of them and the Titan so say around £650 ish for 780GTX ?

I'd be disappointed, but not really surprised if you're right. My guess is ~£600 for the 780. I posted a while ago that I think this is the start of a continuing trend. That Titan was an opportunity for Nvidia to start hiking prices at the high end. We'll know for sure when Maxwell arrives.

Permabanned
Or vice versa ?
Still it's going to be a new GPU and we can only hope that it'll deliver performance at around the same level of the GTX Titan but to a significantly lower cost. That would be interesting at least for me :cool:

Well that's pretty much a given considering by the time Maxwell arrives Titan will have been out at least 1 year. The difference is Titan can deliver that performance now so comparing cost is pointless.

Associate
Well that's pretty much a given considering by the time Maxwell arrives Titan will have been out at least 1 year. The difference is Titan can deliver that performance now so comparing cost is pointless.

If you have the money for GTX Titan now, then yes it's pointless - if not, then it makes sense. I'm still in it because of the price/performance ratio. GTX 670 and GTX 680 are still potent cards and in SLi they do give super performance. While the price/performance ratio my not still be he best it certainly is better than GTX Titan..

Last edited:
Caporegime
NVIDIA-Kepler-GK104-425-650x432.jpg

A member of Expreview forums posted a picture of the new Kepler GK104-425 GPU, which will be used for NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 770.

There are no visual changes to other variants — 400, 355, 335, 300, they all look the same. The real change should be hidden under the hood. Assuming that this is just a matured version of the GK104-400, then you should expect 1536 CUDA Cores, 128 TMUs and 32 ROPs. The processor is accompanied by 2 or 4GB memory (depending on the model), which is supported by 256-bit interface. In comparison to GTX 680, the new card will run at higher frequencies (1050 MHz+). It is unknown yet, if the GTX 770 will support GPU Boost 2.0, but if it does, then custom cooling solutions will definitely come in handy.

The GeForce GTX 770 is making use of 5+2 phase power design, with a TDP higher than GTX 680′s (drawn through 6+8pin power connectors). Card is equipped with two DVI’s, one HDMI and DisplayPort. I already know that ASUS is preparing an overclocked version with DirectCU cooler, which shouldn’t be surprising.

Source: Expreview

http://videocardz.com/41520/nvidia-geforce-gtx-770s-gk104425-gpu-pictured

Soldato
it is often the case that people don't buy refreshes, or skip a gen
lots of people that had 4** series didn't buy 5** etc.
I went from a 2** to a 5** and only went to a 6** because I managed to get a really good sale price on my 580 and a 670 actually cost me about the same

I certainly won't be getting rid of my Titan's any time soon, I may not even buy Maxwell, just "downgrade" from 7680x1440 to a 4K

I'm on a 580 and i skipped the 680 and maybe the 780 (unless i find one at a really good price, say, sub £350)

Soldato
I'm on a 580 and i skipped the 680 and maybe the 780 (unless i find one at a really good price, say, sub £350)

I'm in the same boat. My 580 is coping with everything at the moment at 1080p. The 780 would need to be exceptional for me to jump in. Realistically, I think I'll be waiting for an 8 series card.

Permabanned
If you have the money for GTX Titan now, then yes it's pointless - if not, then it makes sense. I'm still in it because of the price/performance ratio. GTX 670 and GTX 680 are still potent cards and in SLi they do give super performance. While the price/performance ratio my not still be he best it certainly is better than GTX Titan..

At the moment though no single card can compare with Titan and it would be unfair to judge maxwell single card price/performance against Titan when the release of the two is so far apart.

Soldato
I think we need better games more than better graphics cards. Personally I would hold off buying a new GPU until the new consoles are out. The PS4 having 8GB of DDR5 available to the GPU might cause a bit of a PC gaming card shake up.

Soldato
Geforce GTX 780 comes on May 23rd

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/31415-geforce-gtx-780-comes-on-may-23rd

Reference cards should sell for around 500 euro

500.00 EUR = 422.759 GBP

Euro ↔ British Pound
1 EUR = 0.845517 GBP 1 GBP = 1.18271 EUR
Mid-market rates: 2013-05-16 12:22 UTC

So should be £422.759 but we all know that any euro or dollar to GBP actually involves simply changing the $ sign to a £ so the real price will be,

500.00 Euro = £500 :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I think we need better games more than better graphics cards. Personally I would hold off buying a new GPU until the new consoles are out. The PS4 having 8GB of DDR5 available to the GPU might cause a bit of a PC gaming card shake up.

Less of a shake up than consoles have caused in the past. Traditionally consoles out perform PC spec by a fair bit at launch, for example when the Xbox 360 launched in 2005 it had a triple core CPU most PC users had single core CPU or dual core, and the GPU was more powerful than the then high end PC GPU. A year later the 8800 GTX line launched and PC started to get better at console 'ports' or multiformats..

The PS4 by contrast is the first console that is truly already outclassed by PC hardware and it hasn't even launched yet. The time it takes the PC to surpass the console in visual finesse will be much faster this gen.

nvidia-ps4.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
Geforce GTX 780 comes on May 23rd

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/31415-geforce-gtx-780-comes-on-may-23rd

Reference cards should sell for around 500 euro

500.00 EUR = 422.759 GBP

Euro ↔ British Pound
1 EUR = 0.845517 GBP 1 GBP = 1.18271 EUR
Mid-market rates: 2013-05-16 12:22 UTC

So should be £422.759 but we all know that any euro or dollar to GBP actually involves simply changing the $ sign to a £ so the real price will be,

500.00 Euro = £500 :p

If the 780 comes in around £420 then that isn't too bad at all, I'll still wait till release to believe it though.

Back
Top Bottom