*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
It will probably come down to time and money rather than laziness, as utilising the extra power will likely add extra developmental time, which has a cost. Assuming the game already looks and runs well enough, I doubt they'd put in the extra work solely for one platform.

I can't see why that would be the case though. If anything, the fact there's more technical parity between the two now than there ever has been previously will mean that it's easier for them to turn on/off features or make changes for either version. Even more so if there's a PC version too, considering the sheer wealth of settings they usually need to accommodate a variety of systems.

Soldato
I can't see why that would be the case though. If anything, the fact there's more technical parity between the two now than there ever has been previously will mean that it's easier for them to turn on/off features or make changes for either version. Even more so if there's a PC version too, considering the sheer wealth of settings they usually need to accommodate a variety of systems.

Well they do it now like you say on the PC.

Soldato
Considering the XB1 and PS4 are essentially using PC architecture it'll be a relatively streamlined approach to providing scalable graphics, as like you say, those options are user-configurable on the PC version anyway - it'll just be locked to a pre-defined setting for the consoles.

Soldato
It will probably come down to time and money rather than laziness, as utilising the extra power will likely add extra developmental time, which has a cost. Assuming the game already looks and runs well enough, I doubt they'd put in the extra work solely for one platform.

True. They haven't bothered optimising for most powerful console for any other gen,so why would they start now?
Xbox was more powerful than PS2.
PS3 is more powerful than Xbox 360.
Yet in both of those cases multi platform games looked the same. Or in the case of this gen they look worse on PS3 because the PS3 is pain to work with.

Caporegime
I do think this generation if there isnt a difference in how multi-plats look/play then its far more laziness than technical aptitude on the developers behalf. It should take less effort than to build a LOD system that they would have to do for the PC version...

Ignoring the 'PC specs' they are near enough each other in methodology anyhow, the only real difference is the software dev kits. Hopefully the platform holders might have the ability to take that decision away from them by forcing particular post-processing effects if the sub-sytem recognised its not at full load (whack some more AA in or something along those lines)...

Theres far less hurdles than there have ever been and now these are just 2 particular 'PC specs' that the developers will point their engine at and tailor to.

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
I doubt the extra power will be enough to make a massive difference, but it may well be the difference between a capped 60fps and a capped 30fps in some games. Looks at Bayonetta - Platinum couldn't squeeze a solid 60fps out of it on the PS3 and the 360 version ended up being significantly better as a result. The extra power will also help maintain a stable frame rate - not a bad thing at all. So maybe not a massive difference, but potentially a significant one.

Caporegime
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-one-memory-better-in-production-hardware

You guys read this yet? Before people get too worked up over this. I've only read the first couple of paragraphs
Well thats good news though as the article says its all a bit confusing considering the neogaf rumours on eSRAM production. Every bit helps, just hope they give the developers the tools they need to eek out that performance.

Really surprised about this feeling that by launch both consoles will be a bit rough and ready when it comes to launch games and how they perform. Would have hoped for more maturity considering what parts they are using and using PC development as a 'higher jumping off point'. Oh well, I doubt it really matters when everything is so shiny compared to what we are used to.

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime
My PC is rockin' 16GB DDR3 + The DDR5 on the Video Card :cool:.

I don't think it's a massive issue for the xbox, it's less powerful yes, but it's more down to developers taking advantage of the bigger engine the Playstation has, if they do, awesome, if they don't, things will still look good.

Soldato
OP
But then why don't PC's use all GDDR5 instead of DDR3 and 5? I honestly don't know. Everyone seems to act like 8Gb of DDR3 is going to cripple the One but my PC has that and it seems to do just fine!

There's a reason why all performance graphics cards only use GDDR5. Higher resolution textures require huge amounts of RAM bandwidth. In order to be thrown around at high FPS.

DDR3 is better at general purpose software code, and data. Quicker access for frequently changing data.

That pretty much sums it up.

Back
Top Bottom