Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
The bottom part of the derailleur with the jockey wheels has spun round meaning theres no tension. Take the chain off and spin it back round.

Well thats my guess anyway, has happend to me before.

Soldato
Friend is selling an '09 SS Kona Paddy Wagon for £130, that’s less than a replacement shifter. Could be a good pub bike?

Soldato
The whole deraileur is moving as one, the bottom half isn't springing, it's all static. J273, what do you mean by spun around?

Can you move it by hand or is it jammed?

It's not a complicated job to take off the cage to clean/regrease it. Just a bit fiddly getting the spring into place.
I used this guide when i had the same problem a couple of months ago. The guide shows the process for completely stripping the whole thing, you'll only need to follow from step 3 to remove the cage then clean out the spring, bolts and the housing that they sit in, fill it with grease and refit it.

Last edited:
Soldato
weather is looking better and better..

Capture.png

<3

Caporegime
I was going to go out today but raintoday said like an 80%+ change of rain for most hours...

it didn't rain so about 3 o'clock I got ready stuck my hr strap on and then looked out the window...

god damn rain

Soldato
weather is looking better and better..

I think for once I'm glad that I don't commute by bike. Speaking of which, do any of you guys commute to central London from the south? I could do with some advice on a route that doesn't involve Elephant and Castle. I was thinking of something like this route but I've no experience of cycling up there. I plan to give it a go at the weekend to see what it's like, but if any of you have experience in cycling in that area I'd appreciate your wisdom.

Soldato
Had a horrible horrible day of bike maintenance. Rear hub was sounding funky and it's done 2500 miles without a servicing so thought I'd try my hand at it. It's a 105 hub and I followed the advice on Park Tools and Sheldon Brown. Opened it up fine, cleaned it out, greased the race, stuck the bearings in, packed with grease, did everything I was told to do, and got to the point of adjusting the cones. I ended up spending five hours (with little breaks to watch the football) adjusting the cones, readjusting the cones, tearing my hair out, crying my eyes out, and swearing at my cone spanners. I simply cannot get the wheel to a position where it doesn't have any play from side-to-side and still spins once the QR is attached. I've tried what almost seemed like every single possible combinations of tightness. It's going to the bike shop in the morning, I'm going to explain my torture, and throw myself at their mercy. I they don't say the hub is trashed, more money going the way of the bike.

****ing bikes.

Caporegime
Had a horrible horrible day of bike maintenance. Rear hub was sounding funky and it's done 2500 miles without a servicing so thought I'd try my hand at it. It's a 105 hub and I followed the advice on Park Tools and Sheldon Brown. Opened it up fine, cleaned it out, greased the race, stuck the bearings in, packed with grease, did everything I was told to do, and got to the point of adjusting the cones. I ended up spending five hours (with little breaks to watch the football) adjusting the cones, readjusting the cones, tearing my hair out, crying my eyes out, and swearing at my cone spanners. I simply cannot get the wheel to a position where it doesn't have any play from side-to-side and still spins once the QR is attached. I've tried what almost seemed like every single possible combinations of tightness. It's going to the bike shop in the morning, I'm going to explain my torture, and throw myself at their mercy. I they don't say the hub is trashed, more money going the way of the bike.

****ing bikes.
you should try to find out if there is something like this near you
http://www.thecyclehub.org/ai1ec_ev...ourse-preparing-for-winter/?instance_id=10281

£70 , 6 hours , 6 people per course
Strip and Build Maintenance Course - Preparing for Winter

Money well spent I'd imagine

Associate
Not getting the opportunity to spend much time on the bike recently, just spent 9 days in hospital after having a bad time of appendicitis. With that being my 2nd operation in as many months I've spent more time recovering then I have riding :(

Was half way through giving the bike a good clean so chain was left drying for almost 2 weeks with no lube on and looks to have gone a bit rusty now

Caporegime
Yeah, I guess they don't stretch enough to force me to remove a whole link?

When the chain is stretched you replace it, you don't remove links to fix it. Chain stretch means each of the individual links is getting looser, because the parts are wearing. As the links get looser, the chain won't move so well on the teeth of the chainrings and sprockets, because the links will be too wide for the teeth, which may manifest itself in poor shifting or skipping, and will ultimately result in wearing of the chainrings and sprockets.

Permabanned
I am stuck with 4 weeks of no cycling :(

I have however decided to start buying parts for my new bike!!

Here's how the winter hack looks at present (apart from the lights as I have changed them)

Now here's the question

What 11 speed groupo should I use for 2014?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I guess they don't stretch enough to force me to remove a whole link?

Bike is used every week, if it is seized then it just suddenly happened.

Are you sure everything has been reinstalled as it was? Parts seize but I'm confused how something could seize in the time it takes to reinstall a chain.

As Vonhelmet has pointed out, removing a link from a stretched chain won't solve anything and you won't see it recommended anywhere. The problem isn't the overall length of the chain but the lengthening of each link through wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom