Poll: **********The All New Official OcUK Anti-Virus Program Thread - KEEP ALL AV QUESTIONS IN HERE*******

What AV do you use the most?

• Total voters
Soldato
I wouldn't use anything other than NOD32 version 2 if you paid me.

There are better free AVs then NOD32 with less cpu usage,

4pyweb.png

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/avc_per_201311_en.pdf

As usual Avast,Avira and AVG 2014 do well.

Last edited:
Associate
Started using F-Secure tonight, VM have a promotion going around for BB users for free 1 year sub.

Going by that chart, doesn't seem to use much resources either.

Soldato
Surprisingly annoyed at the NOD32 score there!

I used to use it solidly, but have bneen with Avast for a while and only moved back to NOD32 about 6 months ago.

All my PCs are still Avast, but my main PC I went NOD

As for the resources, no matter what they score, if I saw even the most miniscule tiny slowdown at all, then its gone. No argueing, so on that note, I can honestly say that there is NO difference between NOD and AVAST.

But Im still annoyed.

Where is norton on that scale? LOL

Soldato
Surprisingly annoyed at the NOD32 score there!

I used to use it solidly, but have bneen with Avast for a while and only moved back to NOD32 about 6 months ago.

All my PCs are still Avast, but my main PC I went NOD

As for the resources, no matter what they score, if I saw even the most miniscule tiny slowdown at all, then its gone. No argueing, so on that note, I can honestly say that there is NO difference between NOD and AVAST.

But Im still annoyed.

Where is norton on that scale? LOL
Norton is on there look at "Symantec".

Soldato
I forgot but about 2 years ago I paid the grand sum of £8 for 5 years worth of whatever the full Panda AV suite is. Their 2012 suite was absolutely terrible (totally ground my PC to a halt) so I uninstalled it.

They have just emailed to to remind me I can have their 2014 version for free if I want. The reviews are pretty decent online but not sure if it going to be that much better than Avast Free and Win8 firewall?

Soldato
So I managed to grab myself a virus. Or rather, I think the girlfriend done something as I'm now the proud owner of the 'Antivirus Security Pro' virus. I'm on a new hard drive so haven't gotten round to installing antivirus and BOOM, infected.

Anyone had this before? Seems quite tough to remove but I'm enjoying the challenge :)

Soldato
I have not been running any av since upgrading to 8.1 beyond whatever MS bundle with the OS (called defender now?) I just picked up a bit of malware:

Show-Password,
PC Speed Maximiser
Filegfrog Update Checker

I think I have managed to get rid of it all, but was a bit spooked to see the above appear in my list of recently installed programs, as i am certain I didn't give permission for them to install.
therefore I am thinking of installing something a bit better than defender. any recommendation for an AV to go with 8.1?

Soldato
I think you are right that i did inadvertently install it. Still (despite the fact that an av would not have prevented this) IS it worthwhile running an AV if so, what would you recommend?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I think you are right that i did inadvertently install it. Still (despite the fact that an av would not have prevented this) IS it worthwhile running an AV if so, what would you recommend?

Windows Defender is fine if you're running Win 8.x.

Soldato
I am trying out a new free combo. Have changed from Avast AV & Windows Firewall, to Bitdefender AV & Zone Alarm Firewall. Got annoyed with the Avast pop-ups asking me to upgrade all the time.

Back
Top Bottom