Poll: **********The All New Official OcUK Anti-Virus Program Thread - KEEP ALL AV QUESTIONS IN HERE*******

What AV do you use the most?

• Total voters
Soldato
How does bitdefender compare to Avast? Is it as lightweight?

This was posted at the top of this thread,

4pyweb.png

Associate
I'm trying Bitdefender now. I like it so far, I can see it ,ore clearly than Avast and the screen reader likes it so that's a plus:) uses around 29mb when idle on my PC. After install it did blag me 'coz I thought IE was buggered but it turned out BD changed the homepage to blank for some reason.

Associate
I have never understood the negativity towards Norton over the last 4 to 5 years. I run Norton 360 on quite a few computers and it is great. It tunes up the computers while users are afk, a great feature. It doesn't slow down any of the computers and is continuously near the top of all the latest av reports. I guess people look at it like some people look at skoda cars, yes they were rubbish once..

I have tried most of the avs paid and free, the two I don't like are Mcafee and AVG. Mcafee is terrible for a paid suite slows the average pc down(how much did intel pay for it?) AVG kept on crashing on a few of the Pc's so probably just a compatability issue but a pain for me to fix. Bitdefender I used a lot and I still like it but it never liked my gaming PC a few years ago as it kept disconnecting my internet (reboot was the only fix) tried it earlier this year and liked it but it never automatically tuned the computers like norton 360 does. The last Norton 360 I bought 5 pc's 1 year $5 off the bay.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I have never understood the negativity towards Norton over the last 4 to 5 years. I run Norton 360 on quite a few computers and it is great. It tunes up the computers while users are afk, a great feature. It doesn't slow down any of the computers and is continuously near the top of all the latest av reports. I guess people look at it like some people look at skoda cars, yes they were rubbish once..

Norton is overpriced bloatware. I'd rather use superior freeware to keep my system ticking over.

Soldato
For w 8.1 I think Windows Defender should be fine. Just install Malwarebytes free version and run that once in a while. If you are a bit paranoid then just install the noscript addon for browser. You should be fine. No way would I pay for a antivirus now days.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25653664

Adverts on Yahoo's homepage were infected with malware designed to mine the Bitcoin virtual currency, according to security experts.

Yahoo confirmed that for a four-day period in January, malware was served in ads on its homepage.

Experts estimate that as many as two million European users could have been hit.

Proof that well known sites can be infected through adverts easily. Wise to have an ad-block on and white list sites you want to 'support' to minimise risk & decent AV of course too.

Soldato
Just Updated my Avast the other day! (2014.9.0.2011)... Didn't notice it until this morning...

The (slightly annoying) American Lady "Avast Database has been updated!" has been replaced by a very bored sounding British Lady!! :(

Associate
My Kaspersky licence is coming up for renewal and I am not tempted to pay £40+ for it.

I've gone through this thread and have come to the conclusion that the following is OK:

1 - Avast or Bitdefender? Any comments on which or other options? I prefer safety as opposed to speed/memory but within reason (in comparison to Kaspersky as that's my current baseline)

2 - Malwarebytes - run it now and then

3 - Common Sense

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.

Soldato
My Kaspersky licence is coming up for renewal and I am not tempted to pay £40+ for it.

I've gone through this thread and have come to the conclusion that the following is OK:

1 - Avast or Bitdefender? Any comments on which or other options? I prefer safety as opposed to speed/memory but within reason (in comparison to Kaspersky as that's my current baseline)

3 - Common Sense

I use Avast free version and Malwarebytes free version,Bitdefender free is ok but a bit basic on UI,Avast has more features and allows you to adjust more in the UI etc...

Associate

3 - Common Sense

Open a Barclays current account and get Kaspersky internet security for 3 pc's for free, you get a new activation code every year.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour

3 - Common Sense

1: Common Sense
2: Software patching
3: Harden your browser
4: AV

Associate
Thanks for the feedback. Avast seems to be the choice of AV.

I'm interested in the following comment:

1: Common Sense
2: Software patching
3: Harden your browser
4: AV

2: Software patching - I try to keep everything up to date, is there anything I should be concentrating on?

3: Harden your browser. I currently use IE11 which I appreciate is not the best (but I like its ease of use). I've tried Chrome and hated it (and I do not trust Google). I do like Firefox and am slowly migrating to that. But, how do I 'harden' my browser - be it IE11 or FireFox?

Soldato
The (slightly annoying) American Lady "Avast Database has been updated!" has been replaced by a very bored sounding British Lady!! :(

voice notifications for such a meaningless task? you've got to be ****ing kidding. why not run silently and have notifications for when something goes wrong. that would make more sense. :/

i'm still running commando here as i have done for the last 10 years. **** AV software. :D

Soldato
Just Updated my Avast the other day! (2014.9.0.2011)... Didn't notice it until this morning...

You can disable sounds or just have it set to run in silent mode while gaming ,Avast is quite customisable if you look in settings ;) .

Back
Top Bottom