*** The 2014 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
I wouldn't say I look that skinny, albeit the legs don't carry much mass admittedly.. I'll post a pic up some time.

I was pretty pleased with gains over a year and a few months. Used to be 9.5 stone and 6 foot tall. If I had better training I could have made better gains but it's still noticeable.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
More mass needed at 75kg and 6 foot. You don't have to get fat, just be careful with your diet.

Also, mr tommo,

If you want the simplest "gym" diet of all:

Count protein from meat, milk, and eggs and aim to hit ~180g every day.

Keep a rough track of the rest of your dietary quantities, and increase/decrease if you're not gaining muscle/gaining fat too quickly.

Soldato
Thanks I've started using my fitness pal to keep an eye on what I eat. Mainly to see if what I class as healthy actually is..

Today's food :

Cal - 1854
Carbs - 280g
Fat - 35g
Protein - 111g
Fibre - 19g
Sodium - 3218mg

Is it worth getting a few eggs in tonight or is it more important to keep my calories down on a rest day?

Soldato
And don't be fooled: whilst some of the guys on here lift big, we're all in it for the aesthetics. ;) :D

And the cake...

Is it worth getting a few eggs in tonight or is it more important to keep my calories down on a rest day?

As a general rule of thumb, for me, I will keep my fats higher and carbs lower on my off days, and carbs higher & fats lower on training days. Protein remains the same.

Off days will include nuts, oily fish, eggs etc
On days include one of (sweet or white potato/rice/pasta), dextrose/oats, etc

I still eat carbs on both days just significantly more after training.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't be replacing any meals with protein shakes, it will literally be in instances where I can't get a meal down me within 60 mins of my workout.

I've got to be honest I'm not fantastic when it comes to eating. For example my food for today is as follows :

Eating times between 1PM - 9PM as per 16/8 IF

• Black coffee - 0 sugar - 4 per day at work (usually have milk + 2 sugars so tried to cut this out)
  • Apple
  • 150g Chicken breast with litttle bit of Nandos sauce for dipping
  • 200g Long grain white rice
  • Kallo Wholegrain rice cakes + peanut butter ( will probably have around 2-3 of these as snacks)
  • King prawn linguini (175g prawns), sauce is made up of olive oil, cherry tomatoes and chilli
  • Work out tonight - Stronglifts
  • Whey protein shake after workout
  • may treat myself to 2/3 poached eggs around 9PM to get me through my fast..

Where do you train?

Soldato
any of you do 3 day body split routines? do you lot get DOM's after each day?

I never got DOM's with SL 5x5 bar the first few days... does it mean I'm undertraining?

Man of Honour
100% agree.

If you are not a red faced, saliva and vomit covered trembly mess. You're doing it wrong.

And I speaketh the truth / practice what I preach.

If you're covered in vomit, you should probably let your food digest before training.

People who say that you haven't trained legs properly until you've vomited mid-session annoy me. If anything, if you're vomiting mid-session you're either doing something extremely stupid or you're just eating far too soon before training. No-one is impressed watching you blow chunks in the gym, you just look like a tit

Permabanned
If you're covered in vomit, you should probably let your food digest before training.

People who say that you haven't trained legs properly until you've vomited mid-session annoy me. If anything, if you're vomiting mid-session you're either doing something extremely stupid or you're just eating far too soon before training. No-one is impressed watching you blow chunks in the gym, you just look like a tit

This, the old gym I used to train at this same guy would always be wretching after doing squats, fair enough he was in awesome shape but having a weight room smelling of sick makes everyone in there hate you.

I ended up talking to him and asking his routine and made his squat day my off day.

Soldato
Fortunately, I've never witnessed that sort of nonsense, I'd be having words too, there's no need for it.

I know you're all just joking here anyway, but yeah. I know when I'm done for a specific exercise, I also tend to not really get DOMS that much any more, especially for bench press.

Back
Top Bottom