*** The 2014 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
OP
Yes of course, anyone who finds even the slightest bit of amusement from others trying to change themselves really royals me up. But everyone has to start somewhere :)

I think you guys are assuming a fair old amount about people who work out with weights... the biggest things people will pay attention to are:

- People who are lifting dangerously;
- People who look like they are wasting their time (i.e. after six/eight weeks, are still doing the 2kg dumbells for shoulder prcess for eight reps);
- Hot chicks in yoga pants, doing... well... it generally doesn't really matter.

Most gym goers don't actually care about what anybody else is doing, so just go in and do you thing.

Obviously, that "thing" should be a considered, structured and progressive traing programme. ;) :D

Please watch the following videos for guidance, if you have any questions...

New to the gym?

How to behave with the bench press:

Gym etiquette

Soldato
If you're covered in vomit, you should probably let your food digest before training.

People who say that you haven't trained legs properly until you've vomited mid-session annoy me. If anything, if you're vomiting mid-session you're either doing something extremely stupid or you're just eating far too soon before training. No-one is impressed watching you blow chunks in the gym, you just look like a tit

Bro, y u so butthurt.

I was using it figuratively. Vomiting up your days nutrition during training isn't going to be conducive.

What I meant was, and I'm sure you know, that you need to push yourself harder, further out of your comfort zone than any other training day, when it comes to legs.

Soldato
Parallol?

He's squatting hip crease below knee, which is what parallel is.

I was remarking that Kazmier's squat was a full squat, which is rare in powerlifting as most of them only go half way down (not down strictly speaking, but half way between full flexion and standing a straight leg), but Bill's hams touched his calves, and you can't go further than that.

Soldato
I wouldn't call what he did a parallel squat at all, he had no distance left to travel, I see plenty of power lifting squats where they stop with plenty of distance they could go.

Man of Honour
Bro, y u so butthurt.

I was using it figuratively. Vomiting up your days nutrition during training isn't going to be conducive.

What I meant was, and I'm sure you know, that you need to push yourself harder, further out of your comfort zone than any other training day, when it comes to legs.

No bro, you said what you said, don't backtrack. Phaggot

Man of Honour
Eh?

I don't think you know what parallel is. Bill is squatting to the same depth as Carl does in the video I posted, which is just dipping below parallel. Any higher and he would have failed the lift.

Also, if a squatter chooses a wider stance and squats with a more vertical shin, there is no way they are going to be able to close there knee angle. Provided that their hip crease goes below their knee, are they squatting higher because "there is distance they could go" in terms of their knee? No.

This is why the "parallel" rule exists. Not everyone can squat effectively with a narrow stance (factors such as femur length play a part).

Please stop taking terrible examples of squatting from terrible small American federations to be representative of powerlifting squats in general. Powerlifting squats are like those that happen in the IPF, which is the IOC recognised body.

Soldato
I know what parallel is (I actually qualified the height thing previously as well).

I also wasn't talking about Carl, you will have just taken it as an assumption that I was.

I was talking about the monolift guy and that sort of squatting.

That aside, I take a wide stance myself when squatting, and my hamstrsings/arse touch my calves at the bottom with no more flexion to take.

Also, I think metrics such as hip crease going below the knee are a bit faulty due to the vastly differing shapes and sizes there are between people- I do understand a compromise has to be made in that situation, but I see it in the same way as people making massive deals about bodyweight to lift ratios, as I always wonder where you draw the line with that sort of stuff, like that guy with various physical deformities where his thighs are very short, meaning a full ROM deadlift for him has the bar traveling very little distance.

Man of Honour
I didn't assume you were talking about Carl, I was using him as an example of a proper powerlifting squat to show you that what you consider to be the norm is in fact the exception in some small federations.

I'd be genuinely curious to see your wide stance ass on ankle squat, because in all my time working with powerlifters and other athletes I have only seen it in maybe a couple of individuals. I'd bet that if I saw your squat (if it is wide stanced), it would also be just under parallel. (you must have weird legs if your arse touches your calves though ;))

Talking about whether parallel is relevant or not is pointless, particularly when you can't identify that Bill is squatting just under parallel like any good powerlifter. It's the recognised standard for depth, and if powerlifting ever becomes an Olympic sport it's the rule they will use.

Soldato
I didn't assume you were talking about Carl, I was using him as an example of a proper powerlifting squat to show you that what you consider to be the norm is in fact the exception in some small federations.

Maybe so, I've not looked in to it a terrible amount, when I saw all the gear they use I was put off instantly.

I'd be genuinely curious to see your wide stance ass on ankle squat, because in all my time working with powerlifters and other athletes I have only seen it in maybe a couple of individuals. I'd bet that if I saw your squat (if it is wide stanced), it would also be just under parallel. (you must have weird legs if your arse touches your calves though ;))

I would say widish, it's hard to really measure (which relates to my moan a bit) as I'm quite wide, I've got wide hips and thick legs. I actually need weight on my back to be able to get in to the full squat

Talking about whether parallel is relevant or not is pointless, particularly when you can't identify that Bill is squatting just under parallel like any good powerlifter. It's the recognised standard for depth, and if powerlifting ever becomes an Olympic sport it's the rule they will use.

As I said before, it's more about distance travelled/left than the actual end position, as I'm aware that depending on the stance you can do a full ROM squat where it looks like your legs are parallel, due to the thickness of my legs I end up in a similar position if I go narrow, though I do ensure I don't stop until I've moved the furthest I physically can, as to me it's akin to stopping half way down/some distance away from your chest when doing bench press.

Man of Honour
Maybe so, I've not looked in to it a terrible amount, when I saw all the gear they use I was put off instantly.
Well that's how it is.

This from last years unequipped world champs show similar squatting:

I would say widish, it's hard to really measure (which relates to my moan a bit) as I'm quite wide, I've got wide hips and thick legs. I actually need weight on my back to be able to get in to the full squat
The need for a bar indicates flexibility problems, which means I'm even more curious to see your squats.

Thick legs are relative ;)

As I said before, it's more about distance travelled/left than the actual end position, as I'm aware that depending on the stance you can do a full ROM squat where it looks like your legs are parallel, due to the thickness of my legs I end up in a similar position if I go narrow, though I do ensure I don't stop until I've moved the furthest I physically can, as to me it's akin to stopping half way down/some distance away from your chest when doing bench press.
Right, so you don't actually have a problem with parallel squats, you just don't like high squats.

Saying things like "parallol" just makes it look like you don't know what you're talking about, and are being wildly critical of the sport of proper squatting.

Soldato
Well that's how it is.

This from last years unequipped world champs show similar squatting:

That is extremely refreshing to see.

The need for a bar indicates flexibility problems, which means I'm even more curious to see your squats.

I certainly do have some flexibility problems when squatting, they don't get in the way of depth as I go as far as is possible, I do however sometimes end up with one of my shoulders hurting because of my width, I sometimes have to hold my arms quite narrow to be able to rack and unrack the bar without trapping my fingers.

My lower back is also crap, like with dead lifts, I'm the opposite of most deads I see, I pull the bar up quickly until my lower back comes in to it and then it's a grind to lock out, whereas I see most people slow off the start of the pull and then when their lower back activates, they snap up straight.
Thick legs are relative ;)

Certainly so, mine are about 34" mid thigh.
Right, so you don't actually have a problem with parallel squats, you just don't like high squats.

I realise I've not been particularly clear with what I've said, my attempt at qualifying it earlier when I mentioned distance rather than actual positioning, however I was talking about (well I had in mind) all the people I've seen squat who stop at "parallel" when they've only gone half the distance they could, you know, thighs 90 degrees to their lower legs sort of positioning.

Saying things like "parallol" just makes it look like you don't know what you're talking about, and are being wildly critical of the sport of proper squatting.

The parallol was in reference to the above, however I do think the term "parallel" itself does have connotations of the above situation where the femur is 90 degrees to the tibia.

I'm not critical of proper squatting, it's just I very rarely see it due to looking at the wrong feds as it seems.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wait a second: you are 6ft and you weigh 75kg? :eek:

And don't be fooled: whilst some of the guys on here lift big, we're all in it for the aesthetics. ;) :D

I'm 5'11 76.2kg (I was 75.x a few days ago before starting my diet) but by no means do I look small, at least I think so. Aesthetics though!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom