*** The 2014 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Hang on a second: you can pull 180kg, bench 130kg and you think you bave no ab strength?

You either have the worst technique for lifting in the world or you actually think situps are a good indicator of something...?

And what is up with your knee, stopping you squatting but not deadlifting?

Man of Honour
OP
I think I have arthritis in my right knee which does hurt with deadlift but unbareable doing squat. Have no idea why but hurts a lot more in the winter. Probably down to driving diggers/cranes past 10 years is where it all come about.

I did actually think situps were a good indication of ab strength. My abs do feel incredibly weak, when doing tricep pull down on a rope machine my abs get sore before my triceps just from steadying myself.

How interesting. I would suggest - if you have knee pain - getting it looked at by somebody (a decent physio) rather than guessing at what is going on, as this will determine how you work around the issue rather than avoiding it... this is particularly important if it is something that can be fixed.

At what point during the squat does your knee actually hurt?

With regard to situps, there are many better exercises for strengthening your abs that will actually:

1) Carry over to your other lifts (because, let's be honest, what kinds of lift are you doing where you flex your spine with your abs?);
2) Not ruin your lumbar spine (some hyperbole, but situps aren't great for your back);
3) Work your rectus and transverse abdominus harder.

Examples being (to add to LiE's list)...

- Planks (done correctly);
- Candlesticks...

Man of Honour
OP
Man of Honour
OP
As I said I am not really following their program only using what exercises they recommend as the structure of my workout.

I could start a fresh and follow what they outline with regards to adding 5lb/10lb but the weights I have got on that spreadsheet are pretty much the max that I can do so I just couldn't see myself being able to add weights every time I did it. Hence why I stayed at the same weight for two weeks simply because I just couldn't do anymore with it still being the correct and proper form.

Stronglifts is structured in a given manner to help new starters make both kinds of gains very effectively: looking at your spreadsheet, you started heavier than I would have expected for a newcomer which mean you may be missing that (ahem) stable base that drilling the lifting pattern helps, as well as the resulting numerous weeks of lifting sub-maximally before coming close to your actual max.

Secondly, your diet and sleeping patterns could be hindering you, too: not enough of either will slow your progress quite effectively.

What I am saying is: do Stronglifts properly if you're going to do it as it works a treat. :)

When is it time to move on from stronglifts 5x5? I'm still going up but I've reached the point with most things where it takes a good few sessions before an increase. OHP (surprise) being the worst but everything is a minimum of 4 sessions..up to maybe 8 in the worst case scenario.

edit: I can't imagine another routine drastically speeding things up but still, may as well ask :)

I think the only real answer I can give from personal experience is when boredom sets in. I say this with a pang of irritation because - for squats at least - even though switching away from 5*5 a good, long while ago, I have noticed the most amusing squat gains from using Stronglifts principles when my squat stalls at a given weight (normally using 4/5*3 or whatever)... Drop back to 5*5 at 80% for two weeks and BOOM! Squat PB. :rolleyes: admittedly, I squat (or did prior to my current routine) at least three times a week, which probably also helps, but... :o

In other words, change when you feel like it. As you say, there won't be anything significant about other routines, but you can then choose to focus on something else (I.e. Hypertrophy (e.g. Dogg Crapp), strength (e.g. 531)) or chuck everything out and do Crossfit. ;)

Usually the advice is to stick with the program but drop to 3 sets of 5 and eventually 1x5 for you working set(s) in order to eek out every last drop of strength gains. Of course if you're lifting respectable amounts for your bodyweight there's no reason why you can't move onto something else assuming it's also a well-programmed routine.

Indeed, although I have always thought dropping the number of sets was an odd way to progress... :confused: But that doesn't mean anything other than I am easily confused. :D

Man of Honour
OP
I'm generally quite good about doing 3 sessions a week (which as I'm sure you know :p with stronglifts is 3 lots of squatting). I think I'd be quite a bit higher on that if I hadn't had a few injuries from bad form in the past. In fact, I've only just caught up to where I was before my last injury :/

I wouldn't mind doing a bit of hypertrophy stuff just for a bit of a change really - I still have noodley looking arms so it'd be nice to change that :p I need to look into routines a bit to find something that won't neglect core strength too much whilst getting all bro'd up.

Crossfit is a good shout too - need to lose those gains ;)

:D

Regarding arms, if you feel like you're missing out, then just add some 10-12 rep sets of chins/pull downs/broceps onto your routine, or use them as your rest period between squats. :cool:

Man of Honour
OP
Anybody else have much experience of the GVT 10x10?, the below routine I got on-line - the only thing is that I'd like to stick dead-lifts in here somewhere but not sure where would be optimal.

I think Muzza has some experience of GVT, and FreeFaller has some with Advanced (?) GVT, so they might be able to help?

walking like a penguin after my leg day on saturday :| killer DOMs.. need to man up :o

thanks mrthingyx <3

In a distinct, non-homo way, I was thinking about your routine yesterday, wondering how it went... :cool:

Nice to hear you enjoyed it. :D

Man of Honour
OP
That's actually what we just did quite recently. I feel like the pullups are helping but I'm still so bad at them that it's extremely painful :p

Just brocepz curlz and tricep extensions, then. :D

Have you tried negative pull-ups (i.e. jumping to the fully-flexed "top" position and then slowly lowering yourself)?

If you're feeling confident and brave, have a look at BennyC's log as a well-documented and hideous version of Dogg Crapp.

Man of Honour
OP
Cheers for the pointers, I'll see how I get on with 10x10 then if it's too much (judging by how my legs are after doing a trial leg-day) then I think you may be right & I'll see how it feels with 10x5. As I'm restarting a new routine I've got a chance to trial a few things first before settling on one.

Yeah, I'm not keen on specific abs workouts either - would like to slap dead-lifts in somewhere also, the GHR's sound interesting (not done those before) so will give those a bash as I wanted to switch that one out.

I've got pull-ups on shoulder/upper back day already so don't think I'll be able to do it twice in a week at that volume :p.

Never tried GHRs? This will be interesting... :cool:

Man of Honour
OP
Not sure how I missed these...

Right I am totally back in to the gym after probably a 4 year hiatus. I got a new job, moved house and fell out of the routine big time. Im currently at 95kg, 6ft with far too much body fat. Ideally I need to be down to the mid 80s/high 70s to get back to my leaner days.

I've got a decent cardio/weight routine sorted, not quite up to the old levels at all but at least I am back in the gym.

Diet is being calorie controlled/balanced via MyFitnessPal app so I am happy on that and I have lost just over 3kg in the last few weeks following my diet and gym routine. I just need a bit of a boost as I am finding it hard in the afternoons to not get hungry and to have the energy to do a full workout so was thinking of some supplements to get a bit more protein in.

Supplement wise, looking at:

Impact Whey
CLA
Omega 3s

I used to use Sida Cordifolia to give me an energy boost for my workouts but it seems to have been stopped. Also, is the 'weight loss' bundle good value on MyProtein? It has something called 'Thermopure' which I guess is the new Sida?

Or should I just stick it out and wait for a few more kg to drop off and my body get used to this new way of living again?

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Sida cordifolia is relatively high in ephedrine content, explaining the 'energy boost', but Thermopure may well be a bit disappointing after that: it just has caffeine in it (ephedrine is a very (VERY!) mild form of quasi-amphetamine).

Regarding hunger, you may want to switch around the timing and content of your meals, so you'd be consuming fewer carbs and more fats/protein to notionally keep you fuller for longer.

Regarding routine, indulge us, please. :)

Either way, great stuff on starting down this road: you have some serious objectives, so good luck!

Its a bit scary to be posting in here with you guys but here goes.

Weight : 11st 11lb / 74.8kg / 165lbs
Height : 5ft 7in / 170cm
Bf : no idea

Joining a local gym tomorrow as I've decided to get in better shape. I'm very active at the moment but have put in a good stone since injuring my knee at football around 3 month ago.

Been reading these forums all weekend so I can get some decent advice and put a plan together.

Tomorrow I start with sorting out my diet and starting with Intermittent Fasting 16/8. I have no idea about my body fat % so can't get macros sorted just yet. Will gym calipers be the best measurement for bf%?

Then I am starting on gym routine of :

Monday PM
Wednesday PM
Friday AM
(I play 11 a side football on Saturdays no need recovery over the weekend)

I am struggling to decide on a weights routine from the 3 I have found. Please bear in mind I've hardly ever done any weight in my life so it's quite scary thinking about working with the barbell etc, I have no idea what weights to begin with but have been watching clips on techniques for basic excercises.

The three routine I have narrowed it down to are :

GordyR -

Monday (Chest/Shoulder/Triceps)

Flat Bench Press – 3x8
Incline Dumbbell Bench – 3x8
Skull Crushers – 3x8 (similar to lying tricep extensions)
Close Grip Bench Press – 3x8
Seated Dumbbell Military Press -3x8
Lateral Dumbbell Raises – 3x8

Wednesday (Back/Biceps)

Dead lifts – 3x8
Bent over one arm Dumbbell rows – 3x8
Chin Ups 3x8 (Or Lat pull downs if you can’t do chins yet)
Barbell Bicep Curl -3x8
One arm Dumbbell hammer Curls – 3x8

Friday (Legs/Abs)

Barbell Squats – 3x8
Dumbbell Lunges – 3x8
Calf Raises-4x10
Abdominal workout

STARTING STRENGTH/MARK RIPTOE

Workout A

Squats: 3 x 5
Bench Press: 3 x 5
Deadlift: 1 x 5

Workout B

Squats: 3 x 5
overhead Press: 3 x 5
Power Clean or Row: 3 x 5

STRONGLIFTS/BILL STARR

Workout A

Squats: 5 x 5
Bench Press: 5 x 5
Barbell Rows: 1 x 5

Workout B

Squats: 5 x 5
overhead Press: 5 x 5
Deadlift: 1 x 5

What would you recommend for a goal newb? Also this may sound stupid but any recommendations for starting weights? I don't want to look a compete idiot in the gym on my first day..:o

Good start!

First off, I am assuming 'better shape' means leaner/lower body fat? If so, this means a calorie deficit for you. :)

Secondly, BF measurements are reasonably accurate approximations at best and utterly pointless at worst. I would go on the basis of what you can see:

- chiselled abz? Sub 10%.
- ab (or a single ab) definition still somewhat visible, but cut with a butter knife instead of a chisel? Anywhere between 10-20%, depending.
- what are abz? You can see where this is going...

If you feel the need to measure, then fine, but use it as a very rough guide, only: too many people get hung up on Bf and pay no attention to what they can actually see. However, calipers - in the hands of somebody experienced - are the 'better' method.

So you did in your knee playing football? And you're still playing? Nutcase. ;) Horrific activity for your knees: just like running, but with more torsional forces instead of the extended repetitive loading... :D

Regarding routine, I would suggest Stronglifts as this will introduce you to some important concepts and lifts for your move into lifting. GordyR's is also good, but it is more bodybuilding (which is also fine) rather than strength, so not my first choice (bear in mind I am a wannabe weightlifter, so go figure! ;).

As I am a wannabe weightlifter, I would suggest not going Starting Strength or - if you do - not doing power cleans (swap them out for something else)... Whilst an amazing exercise, I guarantee you will do them wrong and not derive the benefit from them you should, or worse, injure yourself because you are doing them wrong. So don't do them. :)

As to looking like a complete idiot in the gym... Don't worry about it. Most reasonable people will be impressed you are starting from scratch, rather than heading into the heavy stuff because of your ego: nobody looks dumber than the person injuring themselves because they tried to lift too much. Add the fact that nobody will care about the new guy, anyway (it is January, after all, and most of the fresh meat disappears after the third week), and you have a recipe for not worrying. ;)

Do it. Do yourself proud. :cool:

Man of Honour
OP
~

Thanks for the response!

I guess my overall goal is to get leaner while looking like I work out! :o
Proper Newb answer right?

The only reason I thought about getting a BF% was to work out my macros but maybe I just misread the Diet thread on here. Will revisit that again today.

Hmm..I've played football at different levels all my life now settled at a club in a semi-pro (ish) league. I seem to have quite weak knees as on average I get slight knee ligament tears once every 18 months or so. Cycling used to help me with strengthening them, unfortunately the last tear came from a tackle so not much I could do about that. I'm fit again now and due to start playing in 2 weeks time.

I will stick with Stronglifts then, I guess once I have the basic strong lifts down to a tee it should give me a decent foundation to introduce other things.

One other thing, I have had a look through the supplements thread, I am guessing I could use some Whey protein after a work out? My PM workouts will be around 6:30PM so I will have probably had my evening meal before this and I also plan to make use of the Sauna & Jacuzzi so it would be a while before I could get some food in my system after my work out. Should I take a Whey protein shake straight after workout?

I will make a log in the TL forum, I guess it will help with motivation..

Don't get me wrong - it is good to know your BF& (for these precise reasons), but working it out accurately is a tough one.

Besides, you will find that even if you could precisely nail your BF%, your diet may shift according to your rate of weightloss (i.e. higher/lower calories), so it really can be arbitrary. :)

Regarding knees, as a footballer you kind of make your own bed, I'm afraid. More strength and mobility will always be useful, but can't save you from a bad tackle, over-adventurous dribbling, etc. ;)

Supplement-wise, whey is always useful to make up protein macro shortfalls, but shouldn't become a staple to your diet (if it does, you should have a think about what you're eating) - it is a 'supplement' after all.

Weightloss should be incidental to your life, as opposed to a focus: eat more healthily and in a more balanced manner (and in a calorie deficit) and you will shed. If you keep your protein levels high enough and lift weights according to Stronglifts, you won't look like a marathon runner when you finish, too. :)

Back
Top Bottom