*** The 2014 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
2015 is my year to get back in shape after looking at stronglifts im thinking of starting off with that brought some converse as flat shoes are recommended got myself some gloves just need to get myself a few tops now as i dont have any spare/plain tshirts to wear mainly have polo's or shirts

Man of Honour
OP
Actually: stick the gloves in the bin, or take them back to the shop, because:

a) they will ruin your grip;
b) they look stupid and anybody that knows anything about lifting will know that you don't. ;)
c) they can actually damage your hands because of (a) by making your grip on the bar less stable;
d) they won't actually stop you getting calluses.

So there are a number of good reasons to not wear gloves, as well as some daft ones. :)

Whatever you do, just make sure they match your purse. ;) :D

Soldato
Actually: stick the gloves in the bin, or take them back to the shop, because:

a) they will ruin your grip;
b) they look stupid and anybody that knows anything about lifting will know that you don't. ;)
c) they can actually damage your hands because of (a) by making your grip on the bar less stable;
d) they won't actually stop you getting calluses.

So there are a number of good reasons to not wear gloves, as well as some daft ones. :)

Whatever you do, just make sure they match your purse. ;) :D

Main reason i brought them is because the skin on my hands is ripped to shreds from work....i dont wear gloves at work like im supposed to as my hands get sweaty so the skin on the palm if my hand by my knuckles is shredded

Man of Honour
OP
I would suggest you are probably safer wearing gloves at work, depending on what you do, because in the gym you will be lifting very heavy stuff that WILL injure you if you do it badly. Take some lifting chalk to work and cover your hands before suiting up.

If you absolutely have to lift with gloves then fine - it is your workout. But I would strongly advise you to not do it and take better care when in work (I am sure there is a health and safwty implication for your employer if you are getting damaged)... but I don't know what you do. :)

Soldato
Dear gym rats. 2015 is my year to get ripped and really muscular.

Im going to eat bananas, lots of them. A guy called nate told me this would help build muscle. Please confirm.?

I am also intending to get big, but I don't want to get massive, know what I mean? No girl likes a guy who is too massive, so if I can just get "big" by summer then that would be ideal. I also intend to get toned up. This beer gut must go. So you got that yeah? Lose the gut, get big, get toned. Keep it pretty simple with simple goals.

I've been looking at the routines and I've now formed my own. It's a mixture of the best ones here.

Monday
20 mile run
Press ups (as many as I can)
Sit ups (until my stomach aches)
Willy push ups (1)

Tuesday
30 mile run
Press ups (body weight)
Curls x 100... dad said use tins of beans to save paying for gym pass. I can always progress to a family can, or the breakfast in a tin (which could double as my post workout)

Wednesday
Day off

Thursday
Day off

Friday
Curls (for da girls) because it's the usual night out with the lads, getting lairy! Extra GAINZ in dem kebabs, and hopefully a good superset after in bed if I'm lucky, nom sayin?

Saturday
Day off to watch footy. Hungover anyway

Sunday
40 mile run
Press ups
Curls (heard the squat rack is useful for this?)
30 mins on stepper machine
30 mins on the x-trainer machine
(you can see that Sundays are all focused on reducing that beer gut of mine)

You'll notice I haven't put squats in that routine. Well not only is my routine already taxing, I don't really like squats, my mate says it destroys your knees. Same goes for deadlifts, they destroy your back. My chiropractor told me this. Just don't do them guys, only meat head morons do these. Good luck to them when they're walking with a stick. They will probably be dead by then with all the steroids anyway. Amiright? Lols

On to kit.
I was looking at the Adipower weight lifting shoes. I heard these are good for gains, anyone own these already? Probably not, they're quite expensive. I'm looking to get them anyway, they're red so they look awesome.

Gloves - which are the best brand to increase my curl grip? I have some gola ones I used for football when younger. I'm leaning to a Lonsdale set of lifting gloves now though. Leather or cotton??

Vests - it's obvious a vest top is must,after all, I want to be able to show other guys up and most importantly, I need to be able to see my biceps working in the mirror or I could injure myself. Main question though, low cut or not?

Diet
I eat loads already and can't put weight on
In fact I want to lose weight anyway. I'm 6ft and weigh 13st. BMI says I should be 12.5 (I think). So I don't want to gain weight, remember I just want to tone up.

I'll eat salad, and like nate said, bananas. Friday nights will be day off for diet due to drinking with the lads. Sat will be beer n footy. But I can make up for all this in the week. I'm thinking of using something called tren, it helps you get ripped quick.

I intend to begin this master plan on the 1st Jan. I will update this log once every week for the first 2 weeks, then once or twice after that, but most probably never. Except on Mondays when I'm angry and I'll offer advice to noobie gym rats who haven't a clue.

I was looking for advice, but now I've posted all this I don't think I need any. Mrthingy what do you think?

Man of Honour

Im going to eat bananas, lots of them. A guy called nate told me this would help build muscle. Please confirm.?

I am also intending to get big, but I don't want to get massive, know what I mean? No girl likes a guy who is too massive, so if I can just get "big" by summer then that would be ideal. I also intend to get toned up. This beer gut must go. So you got that yeah? Lose the gut, get big, get toned. Keep it pretty simple with simple goals.

I've been looking at the routines and I've now formed my own. It's a mixture of the best ones here.

Monday
20 mile run
Willy push ups (1)

Tuesday
30 mile run
Press ups (body weight)
Curls x 100... dad said use tins of beans to save paying for gym pass. I can always progress to a family can, or the breakfast in a tin (which could double as my post workout)

Wednesday
Day off

Thursday
Day off

Friday
Curls (for da girls) because it's the usual night out with the lads, getting lairy! Extra GAINZ in dem kebabs, and hopefully a good superset after in bed if I'm lucky, nom sayin?

Saturday

Sunday
40 mile run
Press ups

You'll notice I haven't put squats in that routine. Well not only is my routine already taxing, I don't really like squats, my mate says it destroys your knees. Same goes for deadlifts, they destroy your back. My chiropractor told me this. Just don't do them guys, only meat head morons do these. Good luck to them when they're walking with a stick. They will probably be dead by then with all the steroids anyway. Amiright? Lols

On to kit.
I was looking at the Adipower weight lifting shoes. I heard these are good for gains, anyone own these already? Probably not, they're quite expensive. I'm looking to get them anyway, they're red so they look awesome.

Gloves - which are the best brand to increase my curl grip? I have some gola ones I used for football when younger. I'm leaning to a Lonsdale set of lifting gloves now though. Leather or cotton??

Vests - it's obvious a vest top is must,after all, I want to be able to show other guys up and most importantly, I need to be able to see my biceps working in the mirror or I could injure myself. Main question though, low cut or not?

Diet
In fact I want to lose weight anyway. I'm 6ft and weigh 13st. BMI says I should be 12.5 (I think). So I don't want to gain weight, remember I just want to tone up.

I'll eat salad, and like nate said, bananas. Friday nights will be day off for diet due to drinking with the lads. Sat will be beer n footy. But I can make up for all this in the week. I'm thinking of using something called tren, it helps you get ripped quick.

I intend to begin this master plan on the 1st Jan. I will update this log once every week for the first 2 weeks, then once or twice after that, but most probably never. Except on Mondays when I'm angry and I'll offer advice to noobie gym rats who haven't a clue.

I was looking for advice, but now I've posted all this I don't think I need any. Mrthingy what do you think?

It's funny because it's so bang on it's sad.

Anyway I dislocated my shoulder on Christmas eve so I'm already going to be annoyed at the weakness in it for the next week or 2 so the New Year resolution gang better stay out of my way!

Man of Honour

Monday
20 mile run
Willy push ups (1)

Tuesday
30 mile run
Press ups (body weight)

Wednesday
Day off

Thursday
Day off

Friday

Saturday

Sunday
40 mile run
Press ups

On to kit.

Diet

Some of those are spot on :p But as someone that was a noob in regards to health, weights and nutrition not so long ago I do feel people get judged a bit harshly. There is so much cack information out there that it isn't that shocking that people have really wrong views. The thing I really take exception to (which you mention) are those that will believe the broscience advice over people that actually know what they're talking about. Super tedious.

Banana Man is probably the highlight of the year though. So much fun to read.

Soldato
Main reason i brought them is because the skin on my hands is ripped to shreds from work....i dont wear gloves at work like im supposed to as my hands get sweaty so the skin on the palm if my hand by my knuckles is shredded

Use chalk; either at work under the gloves (assuming you can't get away with having chalky hands) or at home.

Back
Top Bottom