• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Associate
Yeah it's raised quite a bit.
I have a Noctua NH-D14 and the backplate almost touches the heatsink of the cpu cooler. It was very hard to undo the pci-e latch.

I see, I have the same cpu cooler :) between it and my current gpu psb is about 2-3cm's.

Do you have it in crossfire with the msi (in your sig)?

Caporegime
The back plate is a huge chunk of thick metal, its a solid quality piece but does grow the size of the card a bit, but its only a problem if you run the card right next to the CPU and have a huge CPU cooler.

If so just move it to PCIe 2, which you should do anyway so the GPU and CPU are not heating each-other up

Soldato
The back plate is a huge chunk of thick metal, its a solid quality piece but does grow the size of the card a bit, but its only a problem if you run the card right next to the CPU and have a huge CPU cooler.

If so just move it to PCIe 2, which you should do anyway so the GPU and CPU are not heating each-other up

If your card is dumping heat into the case, wont matter where the card is placed in a traditional case as hot air rises ;) Will heat the CPU no matter, unless you're a fancy fellow with his inverted motherboard tray.

Soldato
I see, I have the same cpu cooler :) between it and my current gpu psb is about 2-3cm's.

Do you have it in crossfire with the msi (in your sig)?

I had two in crossfire at one point, but I now have reference cards.
You can't see very well from this pic, but it does get quite close. If you have fat fingers you will have trouble undoing the pci-e latch :D
IMAG1025_zps9ff40156.jpg

Caporegime
If your card is dumping heat into the case, wont matter where the card is placed in a traditional case as hot air rises ;) Will heat the CPU no matter, unless you're a fancy fellow with his inverted motherboard tray.

I have the GPU centred in a 200mm unobstructed intake fan, trust me the only way the hot air from the GPU is going is straight out the vented PCIe covers. :D

Associate
Pretty good I think. I have two intake at front with a rear extract for my Bitfenix ghost. I wasn't sure if i need to include two extract fans at the top but i thought that might just interfer with the rear one? I also noticed this morning that the card is running in Silent mode?

Caporegime
Pretty good I think. I have two intake at front with a rear extract for my Bitfenix ghost. I wasn't sure if i need to include two extract fans at the top but i thought that might just interfer with the rear one? I also noticed this morning that the card is running in Silent mode?

it looks like another one of those cases with the solid from blocking a lot of the air flow. http://www.custompcreview.com/news/bitfenix-announces-ghost-silent-pc-case/15575/

Can you take the front cover off to see if that improves your temps?

Caporegime
Do you mean the mesh covers interfering with air flow? By switching from silent to performance I'm now getting 83 degrees with 80% fan speed when playing Sleeping Dogs for about 15mins.

Is that silver thing on the from a door or a cover? if you have mesh on the front and its able to pull enough air in from the front something is wrong.

One thing I do know is you do need good airflow with a card like this or they will heat up the inside of the case and then get too warm.

I would play about more with the airflow, try to make it unobstructed, move HDD if they are in way ecte, if your confident your flow is good then it could be the GPU.

Soldato
Is that silver thing on the from a door or a cover? if you have mesh on the front and its able to pull enough air in from the front something is wrong.

One thing I do know is you do need good airflow with a card like this or they will heat up the inside of the case and then get too warm.

I would play about more with the airflow, try to make it unobstructed, move HDD if they are in way ecte, if your confident your flow is good then it could be the GPU.

+1 airflow is key for all the higher end cards,, if you cant get more air in, then u can try adding exhaust fans and move it out of your case (which will in turn suck more in aswell)

Caporegime
IIRC, the ghost isn't great for temps. And those bitfenix spectre fans have very little static pressure so if you have any little side gaps (vent holes) at the front for intake, there won't be much cool air being pulled through.

Adding 2x120mm crappy fans at the top of my antec p100 have def. help with my cpu temps, was easily going up to and even above 80 degrees, now they don't go above 70.

Also, last night after a good few fours on bf 4 MP, I noticed that my temps were pretty damn low with a rather low fan speed:

VDaeRQE.png

So I went and played metro last light for about 15-20 min and temps were back to 85 with a rather high fan speed:

RfB6cHO.png

:confused:

Overall, my temps weren't bad after playing bf 4:

LEVSfDJ.png

edit:

Yep, they are :D
Surprisingly light, though.

I find this MSI card rather heavy!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom