• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Can anyone confirm if they can use more than 3.5GB of Vram on their 970 on something like Mordor for me please. For some reason my card always seems to max at 3.5GB whereas my 980 would access all 4gb ?

I'm sure it's just a monitoring issue but just seems a bit weird to me.

Mine regularly maxes out on 4GB in... so far ... Mordor, Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, probably a couple of others I can't remember... most things tend to at 5760x1080.

Associate
Err, has the MSI bios been pulled? Live update 6 now says 25 is the latest version for me! Didn't want to update mid-week in case a disaster followed... tonight it seems to be gone!

Soldato
My MSI seems to have developed a fault, every now and then only one of the fans spins, the other one you can see is trying, as it twitches. Until I gently poke it with my finger does it then start to spin.

Last edited:
Soldato
The fan issue is a bit worrying, but does it actually make any difference to the temps?

I haven't noticed anything odd with my MSI, but then again I haven't spent a lot of time looking at it, just been using it in various games and it seems to perform fine with temps not getting out of control...

Hmm, to check or not to check - as long as I never look my card is in a quantum state of both broken and okay...

Associate
I have just overclocked my sli Gigabyte g1 970s.

I have done 150mhz on the core, and 400mhz on the memory.

One of the cards is hitting 79c in the Heaven, is this too high?

Associate
I had a bug with my MSI last night where one of the fans was stuck at 100% speed after gaming. I had to shut the PC down and power back up to get it to go to 0% again in windows. I tried manually setting the fan speed with afterburner but it would not budge. I had already upgraded to the latest bios. Hoping it is just a one off and not something that is going to happen frequently.

Soldato
I had a bug with my MSI last night where one of the fans was stuck at 100% speed after gaming. I had to shut the PC down and power back up to get it to go to 0% again in windows. I tried manually setting the fan speed with afterburner but it would not budge. I had already upgraded to the latest bios. Hoping it is just a one off and not something that is going to happen frequently.

Im afraid it most likely will happen again.

I run a custom profile in afterburner to keep the fans spinning at 30%.

Cant hear them at this speed at idle.

Soldato
Mine has just given up on me so maybe that was half the problem. Mine never went above 3.5GB Vram usage on anything.

I thought there was an issue with mine when you mentioned this as in SoM at 1440p maxed out (no HD pack) my 970s never went over around 3578mb, ever. If I bumped up the resolution to the max though it immediately utilises the full 4GB. Did you try this before it gave up on you?

Back
Top Bottom