• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New R9 290X 8GB cards

Associate
A raft of new cards have just appeared. Which one is the best? Do you think they will be better then the Nvidia 980 8GB?

MSI Radeon R9 290X Gaming Edition 8192MB
Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Vapor-X OC 8192MB
Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 8192MB
Powercolor Radeon R9 290X PCS+ OC 8192MB
8GB XFX Radeon R9 290X

Last edited:
Caporegime
Remains to be seen, though personally I think the Nvidia cards will be faster overall, but not by that much. The price for performance award though, will of course go to AMD.

Soldato
Just made this choice myself, I went for the MSI Radeon Gaming 8GB, tis a thing of beauty ! Came with a load of game codes which got sold so worked out pretty cheap. Happy days :D

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Noticed Shadow of Mordor using over 6GB !!

2FDj4vn.jpg
RTJmmHZ.jpg
S6rQhrD.jpg.png
CRTP7XS.jpg.png
eKEEpo8.jpg.png

Associate
OP
Just made this choice myself, I went for the MSI Radeon Gaming 8GB, tis a thing of beauty ! Came with a load of game codes which got sold so worked out pretty cheap. Happy days :D

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Noticed Shadow of Mordor using over 6GB !!

2FDj4vn.jpg
RTJmmHZ.jpg
S6rQhrD.jpg.png
CRTP7XS.jpg.png
eKEEpo8.jpg.png

awesome1 You wouldnt have Xplane to test too?

Man of Honour
Nope :)
But the price of those 8Gb 980's will make you cry

Remains to be seen, though personally I think the Nvidia cards will be faster overall, but not by that much. The price for performance award though, will of course go to AMD.

The cards don't exist !!!

Has anyone got a link to a pic, a review, NVidia announcement, anything.

Last time Gibbo checked NVidia had no plans for a card in part due to a shortage of memory chips and also that they were selling all the 9 series cards they could make.

Soldato
The cards don't exist !!!

Has anyone got a link to a pic, a review, NVidia announcement, anything.

Last time Gibbo checked NVidia had no plans for a card in part due to a shortage of memory chips and also that they were selling all the 9 series cards they could make.

Having re read my post I should maybe have said I would go for a speculative 980... I'm aware they don't exist but if AMD can get hold of the mem then I'm sure Nvidia can...

Man of Honour
9kpd38.jpg

'Remains to be seen'. ;) :p :D

Lol, it is not me getting excited about 8gb 980s but it seems like every second NVidia user appears to be dreaming of something that does not exist.

Just because AMD are making 8gb cards does not mean NVidia will follow suit. AMD at the moment are not selling that many 290 series cards so probably have all the memory chips they need to install 8gb on their cards. NVidia on the other hand are struggling to keep up with the demand for 4gb cards so what would there be in it for them putting 8gb on their cards, nothing apart from lost sales and expense.

Remember NVidia practice the Ferengi rules of acquisition,

Once they have got your money they never give it back.

:D:p:D

Caporegime
I think that goes for all firms.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them release a higher vram 980 quite a bit further down the line.

Soldato
The 980 is about 5% faster than a vanilla 4GB 290X, the 290X does get a lil uplift with 8GB at higher res and is about 30% cheaper than a 980. If an 8GB 980 was released you can bet it will be expensive..

I guess you have to factor what is more important, the extra 5% more performance and 30w - 50w less power under load on the 980.

VS a 30% saving and twice the vram on an 8GB 290X.

I had a 980 and thought I would try the 290X 8GB, I'm keeping the 8GB 290X I've been that impressed by the card. So from my own experience I would say pick up an 8GB 290X, and then wait it out until real next gen cards (Die shrink, big performance jump) appear from either camp.

Soldato
Here's a hint: remember when every 2nd Nvidia user was coming in here making threads about 6GB Ti?

Never happened then, won't happen now. NV gonna grub.

Back
Top Bottom