The official Dell U3415W (curved 34") thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
That price is so tempting but all I can think of is the hassle mrk had with returning to Germany. I don't know how easy that would be and where you'd stand with Dell's door to door collection if it's got bad backlight bleed. I made sure to confirm that they'd collect and replace if the backlight bleed wasn't great. It is still so tempting though and would save a decent amount of money on the build. I'll need to decide before the call back from them at 2 today anyway. Not an easy decision. Cheers for the info.

Soldato
Once you have it if there is a problem you'll not have to send it back to Germany. Dell offer a international warranty transfer so if anything goes wrong you'll be dealing with Dell UK and not the German retailer. I plan to extend the warranty on mine when it arrives to 5 years for the added peace of mind.

Edit: Ignore the above. I was going by the information I could find from Googling. I am in the middle of a online chat conversation with a Dell adviser. It seems the warranty is no longer transferable on monitors. The guy is saying the transfer only applies to laptops. He has however offered me quite a discount but it is still over £100 more than what I paid coming from Germany.

I think I may stick to the one I've ordered and hope I don't have any problems with it. Else it'll need to go back to Germany for replacement.

Last edited:
Associate
The only issue would be if it arrives slightly damaged. I'm just going through a similar thing with Scan, they packed £750 worth of components in an old saggy box they had lying around and it arrived slightly damaged, all the boxes had bashed corners, one was ripped etc. Scan refused to assume responsibility and I had to send it back at my own expense, still waiting for the refund.

This one is probably going to be packaged properly, but it's still a long way and I know how the guys at DHL Heathrow like to throw parcels around.

Dell just quoted £100 off, estimated delivery on the 30th, so I'll have to make a decision today.

Associate
I just pulled the trigger on the one from Dell. It's not the best deal but it's peace of mind and I can't be bothered trying to haggle them down any more. Even though it's more than could have been paid it's still far better value than the alternatives at the moment. Can't wait to see how it is. Fingers crossed it doesn't have bad bleed. Coming from a tn panel it should be a revelation though.

Soldato
Dell just quoted £100 off, estimated delivery on the 30th, so I'll have to make a decision today.

Did you manage to get that discount just by phoning the Dell sales rep. I know they usually discount 10-12% on PC systems just for asking but wasn't sure if the same went for monitors.

Apologies to any mods for discussing Dell on the forum but I'm assuming the OCUK will be stocking this monitor once it's available to them? I'd like to buy from OCUK if possible but I've decided that I don't trust LG and the only other 34" 21:9 monitor they sell is the Samsung which isn't available until next month.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just asked for it on online chat.

Edit: Just got an email from my Dell rep, they say the warranty won't cover backlight bleed.

Surely if it develops backlight bleed which is bad enough to affect the image quality and be noticeable you could claim that under warranty if it's worse then when you bought it.

At any rate I guess you always have 14 days DSR to return it if you're not happy with the product once it arrives?

Associate
I just asked for it on online chat.

Edit: Just got an email from my Dell rep, they say the warranty won't cover backlight bleed.

I should have my transcript from the chat with Dell where they confirmed they would definitely cover it for backlight bleed. It was one of the conditions I needed confirmed before I bought it as I didn't want to play the LG lottery. I'll fall back on that if they argue it but they instantly said it was covered for backlight bleed with a door to door swap.

Soldato
Has anyone seen any reviews of this model yet or know if there are any in the pipeline? I'm sure it'll be good but would like to see some official tests by somewhere like TFTcentral before ordering one.

Associate
Well my rep forwarded the email to her supervisor which replied back to say no.

Surely if it develops backlight bleed which is bad enough to affect the image quality and be noticeable you could claim that under warranty if it's worse then when you bought it.

At any rate I guess you always have 14 days DSR to return it if you're not happy with the product once it arrives?

Dell says backlight bleed is not acceptable as a defect and not covered by warranty so..

DSR would be the only option, only thing my understanding of DSR is you can't use the item, only look at it so you can't say "please exchange, it's got bleed". I'd have to get a refund and then haggle again.

Associate

Dell says backlight bleed is not acceptable as a defect and not covered by warranty so..

DSR would be the only option, only thing my understanding of DSR is you can't use the item, only look at it so you can't say "please exchange, it's got bleed". I'd have to get a refund and then haggle again.

If that's the case where would I stand since I have it in black and white from the Dell rep that they will cover the panel for excessive backlight bleed with a replacement? I assume they would have to honour that since it was a condition I bought it on and the conversation is on their system and sent to me?

Soldato

I guess you could always just buy it, DSR it, then return it for a refund and buy another one if you feel the bleed is unacceptable. I guess if you did that a couple of times Dell would probably refuse to sell you another one but I suspect if you were sent 2 duds in a row you likely wouldn't want to risk another anyway.

Associate
A door to door exchange would be much more convenient though :)

Plus with DSR you have to send it back at your own expense and if the courier smashes it on the way back to Dell, that's your responsibility.

Soldato
Ok so it seems you'll get a different answer depending on who you talk to.

I have just spoken to someone who has told me Germany will not send replacements to the UK.

So, either you take a big gamble and order with a huge discount losing your warranty or you order from the UK and have the peace of mind of being able to return it if there is a problem.

I guess Dell know if they offer a European wide warranty service then they can't shaft us so hard with the price in the UK.

Associate
Ok, they have confirmed that if it arrives with backlight bleed they'll replace it with a brand new one so I won't have to DSR and reorder.

If it develops bleed over time, warranty won't cover it.

Associate
I've just checked my estimated delivery and it's not until 26/01/15. I'm not too fussed as I've got to buy and build the rest if the rig but if anyone's in a rush for one that seems to be the current waiting time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom