The official Dell U3415W (curved 34") thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I was 50:50 with the Dell and the Samsung, and even though my order for the Samsung is now delayed to mid Jan (assuming it doesn't slip yet further) the fact that the Dell U3415W first owner who posted above also has signs of bleed has totally put me off it. At the end of the day its the same LG-IPS panel inside, so sadly it would seem that the panel is either badly designed or just prone to damaging easily when fitted into a chassis by a manufacturer.

I think I'm too sensitive to quality to be happy with 2nd best on something that has cost so much money, so decided to wait it out for the Samsung.

Soldato
OP
Well my rep forwarded the email to her supervisor which replied back to say no.

Dell says backlight bleed is not acceptable as a defect and not covered by warranty so..

DSR would be the only option, only thing my understanding of DSR is you can't use the item, only look at it so you can't say "please exchange, it's got bleed". I'd have to get a refund and then haggle again.

I've not had to read the regs for a while, but the last time I did it said you get to inspect the item at home as you would be able to in a show room.
The item you return has to be in re-sellable condition with all packaging etc. So if you take the monitor out of the box and turn it on you can inspect it. If you don't like the smell of the stand you can pack it back away and return it for a full refund as long as you contact the shop within 7 days of the delivery.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have cancelled my order from Germany and have decided to hang off a while longer. I thought the premium panel guarantee would cover excessive IPS glow so that's pretty poor tbh. Its a shame their QC isn't all over this. I'll be going from a U2410 which was absolutely faultless and stunning. For this sort of money it should be the same, perfect out the box.

Associate
I have cancelled my order from Germany and have decided to hang off a while longer. I thought the premium panel guarantee would cover excessive IPS glow so that's pretty poor tbh. Its a shame their QC isn't all over this. I'll be going from a U2410 which was absolutely faultless and stunning. For this sort of money it should be the same, perfect out the box.

It doesn't even cover dead pixels as far as I can tell, only bright pixels. They make a clear distinction between bright and dead. http://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukdhs1/414288?c=uk&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&l=en

Associate
Did contact Dell yesterday as this monitor did tick a few boxes for me but because:-
They would allow a 10% discount but no more!, &
their assurances given ref backlight bleeding were very vague but did appear to me to be upon the lines of 'not covered'.
And their pixel policy (as linked to)
have decided me - not for me.:(

Will leave it until there are a few more released and prices have dropped - I will bite when the price for a 34" Ips drops to £550 but am not willing to pay £800+

Associate
I wonder if this is flicker free. Dell don't say anything about it, I know the LG ones did mention them using flicker free backlights.

It probably won't be an issue for me, I usually have my brightness at 100%.

Soldato
@Alisdair

So how are you getting on with the monitor after a weeks use? I'm contemplating ordering one this weekend and would like some more feedback before pulling the trigger. Have you tried it with any games consoles or other 1080p 16:9 inputs. Can you confirm that it has the option to scales these sources to fit 16:9 with black bars either side?

Also, in your Jack the giant killer shot is that backlight bleed in the corners or just ceiling lights in the actual movie? There appears to be a light grey haze in the corners but I cant tell from that shot whether it's part of the movie or the monitor causing it!

Playing Jack and the Giant Killer

I'm trying to find more info but there's so little out there regarding this monitor.....! Most of the forums I've read seem to suggest supplies are pretty tight for this monitor so even if I order it now it looks unlikely it will arrive until the end of January :(

Edit: Interestingly I called Dell today and the sales rep offered the usual 10% discount (pending approval from a manager) but they claimed they had the monitor in stock and could deliver as soon as the order was placed? Not sure it that's true or just sales blurb though!

Last edited:
Associate
Hi Guys,

Well after a week or so of use... It's going back for a replacement.

Although the size is great the panel bleed just kept on bugging me!

It's quite annoying!

I thought that I might get use to it but NO luck...

I'm rather annoyed with Dell at the moment... as considering I was suppose to get my replacement before Xmas.... it now seems I will get it near the end of January!

Soldato
We're expecting a few hundred of these early January. :)

Good to know. Any hints on what kind of price you'll be selling them at?

:D

Well after a week or so of use... It's going back for a replacement.

Although the size is great the panel bleed just kept on bugging me!

It's quite annoying!

I thought that I might get use to it but NO luck...

That's the one thing which worries me about the Dell since it's the same panel as the LG! The only other 34" 21:9 panel is the Samsung but judging by the feedback on this and other forums there are plenty of people with complaints about Samsung's displays as well so it's probably expecting too much for their panel to be issue free either!

What to do....? I think I'll probably take a punt on the Dell and see how it goes. At least they have better support than LG if it does turn out that I'm unhappy with it.

How are you finding 1440p 21:9 in general use ignoring the issue with the panel. Does split screen mode work as well as you'd expect? Any issues with it in day to day use?

Also, what are your plans given you're sending back the Dell? Wait for the Samsung/AOC, stick with what you currently have, or start looking at alternative form factors ?

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Good to know. Any hints on what kind of price you'll be selling them at?

:D

That's the one thing which worries me about the Dell since it's the same panel as the LG! The only other 34" 21:9 panel is the Samsung but judging by the feedback on this and other forums there are plenty of people with complaints about Samsung's displays as well so it's probably expecting too much for their panel to be issue free either!

What to do....? I think I'll probably take a punt on the Dell and see how it goes. At least they have better support than LG if it does turn out that I'm unhappy with it.

How are you finding 1440p 21:9 in general use ignoring the issue with the panel. Does split screen mode work as well as you'd expect? Any issues with it in day to day use?

Also, what are your plans given you're sending back the Dell? Wait for the Samsung/AOC, stick with what you currently have, or start looking at alternative form factors ?

Well if you checked our online store you'd see we've being selling this now for approx. a week. ;)

Soldato
Well if you checked our online store you'd see we've being selling this now for approx. a week. ;)

I'd have sworn you just added that now as I've been keeping an eye on the OCUK monitors section like a hawk :p

I think what's happened is that I've been filtering based on the 'super-wide monitors' menu option rather than 'curved monitors' which is why I haven't noticed it!

Tempting..... :D

Last edited:

FTL

FTL

Associate
Planning on buying this monitor next month from OCUK, the estimated arrival time matches my plans nicely, 2x GTX 980 this month and the monitor at the end of January :)

Soldato
I'm probably gonna buy a new PC to go along with this monitor as well but want to see how it runs on my current rig first so I can decide how much GPU I need for it!

Associate
Oddly, I was given an eta of 26th Jan and an order status of "in production" however received a text message earlier to say that it would be delivered tomorrow. As happy as I am that it's getting delivered I'm not entirely sure what they're up to. A bit more notice would have been nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom