• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to over volt a Titan, a 780Ti or a 780 guide

Associate
Im getting an EEPROM error when trying to flash,:

Identifying EEPROM...
EEPROM ID (C8,4012) : GD GD25Q20 2.7-3.6V 2048Kx1S, page
Clearing original firmware image...
Storing updated firmware image...
EEPROM programming failed.

ERROR: Mismatch in 256 byte page-mode programming

Associate
Tried the latest version of nvflash, came up with all sorts of errors, eeprom blank, rom failed sanity check, etc, but couldnt get it to even try the flash.
Went back to the old one this time says it was successful but im not sure...
The screen never went blank and doing the --list shows the card as the same pci ID as it was before (2781 rather than 2783) is there anyway to confirm this worked before restarting the PC, just worried it might not come back on.
The following was the readout got on the successful one:
NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.142)

Checking for matches between display adapter(s) and image(s)...

Adapter: GeForce GTX 780 (10DE,1004,3842,2781) H:--:NRM B:06,PCI,D:00,F:00

NOTE: EEPROM appears to be erased:
NOTE: Skipping PCI Subsystem ID and board ID checks.
NOTE: Only correct GPU checked.
NOTE: EEPROM does not contain board ID, skipping board ID check.
Current - Version:Unavailable (Invalid) ID:0000:0000:FFFF:FFFF

Replace with - Version:80.10.3A.00.80 ID:10DE:1004:3842:2783
GK110 Board - 20830020 (Normal Board)

Update display adapter firmware?
Press 'y' to confirm (any other key to abort): y
The display may go *BLANK* on and off for up to 10 seconds or more during the up
date process depending on your display adapter and output device.

Identifying EEPROM...
EEPROM ID (C8,4012) : GD GD25Q20 2.7-3.6V 2048Kx1S, page
WARNING: Adapter does not have a preservation table,
unable to preserve board settings.
Clearing original firmware image...
Storing updated firmware image...
Verifying update...
Update successful.

Soldato
I'm having bit of a nightmare and don't know if anyone can help. I have a Gigabyte reference 780Ti and can overclock it just fine but the default 26% fan speed is too high when idle as I've fitted an aftermarket cooler. The issue is that whatever BIOS I flash the card with I'm no longer able to change the GPU clock, I get an error "nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" then the clock gets reset. I've tried a number of the Skynet BIOSs and am currently using the default Gigabyte GHz edition BIOS as it means I can use the higher default clock with a 17% fan speed. I have fully uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers including running driver cleaner & driver sweeper then a registry cleaner. I have tried using Afterburner, Precision X, OC_Guru and Nvidia Inspector. I'm pretty frustrated so would appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited:
Soldato
That sounds to me like the flash has worked but you have not or not correctly added the 3 lines of text to the ven10 cfg file in the AB folder.
I'm unable to run the version of AB that is bundles with the BIOS's on your first post I get a message saying that some components are expired, missing or corrupt. I've followed the instructions using the latest version of AB and added the entries but this made no difference. I will try again though and report back.

Caporegime
OP
Ahh, that is because this guide is very old and the very lazy me didn't update but the same applies for the latest AB.

Uninstall all AB, remove the folder. Install the latest AB, open the app, move the mem to anything and click apply. Reset and close and then add the 3 lines and if all good, it will ask to restart (do it) and then you will be good to go. Just be careful with volts on air :)

Soldato
Followed the instructions to the letter but if still I change the GPU clock speed Heaven / Valley will crash with the error message then restart but the clock speed has been reset. This happens if I change the clock before running Unigene or whilst it is running.

Having checked the error message it looks like the card becomes unresponsive and the drivers then reset themselves to attempt to overcome whatever is causing the issue. I just don't understand why the OEM bios doesn't have this issue but every other one I've tried does;
Skynet MSI Reference
Skynet EVGA AC2
Gigabyte Windforce
Gigabyte GHZ

Soldato
Can you take a screenshot of your AB screen please.

AB.jpg
/Edit: I noticed that voltage is set to auto, if I put a manual voltage in then the machine doesn't crash with an amended core clock but it throttles the GPU to ~640MHz until I raise the voltage but then it starts throttling both GPU and memory in 1 second cycles between full speed and 1/3 speed even if the fans are at 100%.

/Edit #2: All I want to achieve is a lower minimum fan speed on the OEM BIOS but the NVidia driver appears to detect the card from the BIOS stamp and override whatever the BIOS is set to. e.g if I install the skynet BIOS for the MSI reference card with a 20% fan speed the fans will spin at 20% until I install the NVidia drivers at which point the minimum fan speed available is set to 26% and I can do nothing to make them spin slower. Is there another way to achieve this, maybe like a registry hack which will tell the NVidia drivers you have a different card to the one you have whilst still retaining the appropriate settings for overclocking tools?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
That looks spot on for just normal day to day stuff and gaming but if you want to see what the card can do, you need to move that "Auto" slider to no more than 1.25V (effective 1.275v) as you are on air and run a bench. Make sure you keep an eye on the temps. For a decent Titan, you should be able to hit 1300Mhz with those volts but for a poor one, 1200Mhz might be hard to reach, but don't hammer it and take your time :)

Soldato
That looks spot on for just normal day to day stuff and gaming but if you want to see what the card can do, you need to move that "Auto" slider to no more than 1.25V (effective 1.275v) as you are on air and run a bench. Make sure you keep an eye on the temps. For a decent Titan, you should be able to hit 1300Mhz with those volts but for a poor one, 1200Mhz might be hard to reach, but don't hammer it and take your time :)

Thing is I already know what he card can do I just want to run the fans at less than 26% and the only way I can currently do this is through an alternate BIOS but then I lose the ability to overclock the GPU.

Back
Top Bottom