I just don't understand some people

Caporegime
I know what you mean. The good ol' US of A doesn't have these issues.

Chavs, racism, social issues etc...

No-one is saying problems like this don't exist in other countries, but the fact is that in the UK it is endemic to society in a different way to almost any other first-world country, and the small size of the country makes it very easy to run into on a daily basis. I have lived in several other EU countries now and can attest to the fact that daily life the UK is rougher and especially more prone to casual violence/aggression.

Soldato
Act like a man, get knocked out like a man. Them's the rules, equality n all that.

In what world do men discard fag butts in a play area then lose their cool when challenged about it?!

There is nothing to gain in arguing with this type of human vermin. Nothing. They can't be shamed into changing because in their Stella addled minds, everyone else is in the wrong.

Maybe one day a proper right wing government will take power here and start demanding that bearing children requires an aptitude test and issued licence. As abhorrent as that sounds, it would probably be for the best lol

Caporegime
I went to Croydon today.

I somehow ended up in Primark. In Croydon. Let's just say there's something to be said for shopping in more expensive places. How I managed to get out of it all without wrapping a pushchair around someone's head is beyond me.

Soldato
I have lived inner city and am now in the suburbs. Trust me, I am in a position to pretty accurately compare :)

Oh no doubt it's nice in the US, I've been there several times. However, it would be unfair to paint it as some kind of utopia. The disparity between rich and poor is alarming and some of the social problems there are deep-rooted.

Caporegime
Oh no doubt it's nice in the US, I've been there several times. However, it would be unfair to paint it as some kind of utopia. The disparity between rich and poor is alarming and some of the social problems there are deep-rooted.

TBH Britain is by far the worst country I have spent any time in when it comes to chavs and similar social issues.

Sure there are plenty of worse things in the world but comparing a a few hours walking the streets in any UK city compared to most western European US, Canada cities and there is just no comparison.

The last time I was heckled for change/fags/bus fair/use phone was the last time I was in the UK. It just doesn't happen else where.

The last time I felt unsafe was in the UK

The last time I had someone swearing profanities at me for no reason was the UK.

Youths hanging around the street/parks drinking, almost never seen outside the UK IMO.

I used public transport a lot in Switzerland. If an elderly person got on the bus the hoody wearing youths would get up and make space for them.

Caporegime

I didn't see him painting the US it as a "utopia" in his post.

TBH Britain is by far the worst country I have spent any time in when it comes to chavs and similar social issues.

Sure there are plenty of worse things in the world but comparing a a few hours walking the streets in any UK city compared to most western European US, Canada cities and there is just no comparison.

The last time I was heckled for change/fags/bus fair/use phone was the last time I was in the UK. It just doesn't happen else where.

The last time I felt unsafe was in the UK

The last time I had someone swearing profanities at me for no reason was the UK.

Youths hanging around the street/parks drinking, almost never seen outside the UK IMO.

I used public transport a lot in Switzerland. If an elderly person got on the bus the hoody wearing youths would get up and make space for them.

I can only echo all of this.

Soldato
Primark in Reading has some proper uneducated folk.
Once when I was in there to buy some cheap socks, there was an assistant whose name was Rocksan. I can only assume that her parents couldn't spell Roxanne.

Is Broadmead Mall still open? It was 50-60% empty the last time I was unfortunate enough to go there 7-8 years ago...

My last visit to Reading city centre was playing airsoft in the old mall next to the coach station.

Soldato

You've clearly never been to any big city in France/Spain/Italy then. That sort of thing has happened to me far more in places like Barcelona, Paris, Milan etc than it does in the UK.

Soldato
Is Broadmead Mall still open? It was 50-60% empty the last time I was unfortunate enough to go there 7-8 years ago...

My last visit to Reading city centre was playing airsoft in the old mall next to the coach station.

Broadstreet mall? And no it closed a while ago hosted a zombie apocalypse thing then idk what it's doing now.

Caporegime
barely ever see anyone smoking around the parks up here, sometimes I'll go for a bikeride and find a nice out of the way spot for a smoke.

up pops a wild mother to give me the evils before turning around and walking the other way......

happened so many times now and you can tell their raging inside but to scared to have a go.

can't smoke some anywhere these days

I'd never dream of lighting up around playing kids though even in the street I'll hide my ciggy when a mother and child is passing, just seems bad manners to smoke in front of them

Soldato
You've clearly never been to any big city in France/Spain/Italy then. That sort of thing has happened to me far more in places like Barcelona, Paris, Milan etc than it does in the UK.

People have self deprecating bias. If you've lived your life in one place you'll be well aware of its negatives. Then when they go away on holiday that other place seems like paradise. No doubt the UK has a fair share of crud, but it's a relatively benign place to live. There are many other countries in the world that, although may seem nice, I really wouldn't want to be in their roughest parts. Which alludes to my statement earlier, if you're not poor you're alright, you can segregate yourself from that in those countries.

Soldato
Primark in Reading has some proper uneducated folk.
Once when I was in there to buy some cheap socks, there was an assistant whose name was Rocksan. I can only assume that her parents couldn't spell Roxanne.

That must sting a little. You should have called the police.

Associate
You and your wife didn't deserve to be treated like that and the woman is scum. My own personal stance would have been not to say anything. In this world you simply can't educate the ignorant. Sorry but that's how I see the world. From past experience I have tried to educate the uninitiated but I always end up being the enemy or being classed as an arrogant *****. My strategy now is to pretend I didn't hear that stupid comment (if it doesn't affect me) or exit the situation if the scenario was similar to what happened to you. I would take my kids (if I had them) to another park/play area. Yes, you shouldn't have to but I'd rather bust my balls and earn some money so I can take them to a privileged play area. Whilst it might cost money, it would hopefully attract some sophisticated less ignorant people. When I have kids I will pay to exclude interaction with some of the ignorant types and their children during what will be 18 years of growing like a flower. Get rid of the weeds ;) (Before anyone says anything I am well aware you can't keep a child in a utopia and away from the real world, I am merely suggesting that keeping them surrounded with people of standard will best allow them to flourish).

Anyway those are my thoughts and the world as I see it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom