What film did you watch last night?

Man of Honour
Got back from Mad Max earlier. It's pretty mad in the face, utterly bonkers and ultimately that's what made it amazing. The visuals were stunning but the cinema screen at the local Reel had a borked THX set-up, the sub behind the screen was vibrating out of character making the centre of the screen ripple which got annoying in parts where there's lots of sand and sky where it was blatantly obvious, and you could hear the woofer cones vibrating too, like a blown car speaker.

I ignored it fairly quickly though. That wasteland was pretty creepy was it not :eek:

Associate
It Follows - 7.5/10 Got rave reviews, and I did quite enjoy it as it was very different and paid homage to the old classical type horrors. Pretty creepy at times but wasn't really scary, but I did get sucked in and not distracted at all. And kudos to it, not many horror movies make it past the 5/10 these days

Caporegime
Rurōni Kenshin: Kyoto Taika-hen. Takeru Satoh delivers another fine performance in this action-packed sequel to Rurōni Kenshin with a highly unusual music score by Naoki Satō.

るろうに剣心 京都大火編!!!

Fight choreography is superb. 8/10.

Burn After Reading. Spy satire doesn't get much better than this. John G. Malkovich, George Clooney, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, and Brad Pitt. Perfect cast.

Seriously, John G. Malkovich!

9/10.

The Fast and the Furious. Never watched any of these before so I thought I'd give it the old college try. Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. This cinematic abortion looks like it was made in the mid-90s with a mid-80s cast, a mid-70s plot, and a mid-60s colour palette.

Contains many memorable lines, including:

'This doesn't feel right.'
'Aaaaaah, my arm!'
'Yeah, it's funny how that works out.'
'I like the tuna here.'
'Let's go for a little ride.'
'He went to the car wash.'

Move over Shakespeare, the pros have arrived! :rolleyes:

Unmitigated cretinosity. 2/10.

Fast & Furious 2-5. The best driving is in Tokyo Drift (widely considered the strongest film of the franchise). Can't be bothered to rate them; suffice it to say that they get worse as they go along! Number 5 was so tedious, I kept falling asleep. Took four attempts to finish it. :eek:

Spring. Slow burning indie art house horror flick set in the idyllic coastal paellas of southern Italy. Starts strongly but flickers out in a brief gust of understatement. 5/10.

It Follows. A welcome addition to the popular and well established 'avoid-casual-sex-or-you'll-be-hunted-down-and-murdered-in-grisly-fashion-by-an-unstoppable-demonic-entity' genre. 7.5/10.

Chappie. *sigh* I really wanted this to be awesome. It wasn't. Can't fault the visuals, but everything else was a mess. Afrikaaners should be prohibited from speaking English, and Anri du Toit is the ugliest woman in Africa. And I hate Die Antwoord. And their alleged 'music.' And zef culture. 5/10.

Anarchy Parlour. Beware of Lithuanians.

Beware of Lithuanians!
:eek:

Nothing to see here, move along. 3/10.

The Reckoning. Good cinematography. Horrible everything else. This Australian movie is an embarrassment to the nation. It contains a bunch of idiotic mistakes that should have been picked up long before the final edit. Examples:

* the biblical book of Romans is referred to as part of the Old Testament (it's actually in the New Testament)
* Romans 13:4 is misquoted (they simply made up a bogus quote which has nothing to do with the original text)
* Numbers 35:19 is quoted, but they arbitrarily change 'he' to 'she' and incorrectly reference the quote as Numbers 35:19-21

Herp derp. 4/10.

Alexander: the Final Cut. Oliver Stone's controversial and deeply flawed 'swords and sandals' epic.

This clumsy 3.5-hour example of historical ignorance and directorial ineptitude is an insult to anyone who has actually studied the life of Alexander the Great (as I have). Contains good battle scenes (albeit inaccurate), some of the worst dialogue ever seen on the big screen, acting so wooden you could build a house from it, and a mixed bag of mediocre green screen work.

The Macedonians all have Irish accents (?) except for Alexander's mother, who seems to be trying for some vague approximation of an obscure East European lilt (??).

The Persians don't sound Persian (???) and when Alexander is not screwing his wife or an assortment of young men (Stone's Alexander is a heterophobic bisexual; the real Alexander was simply homosexual) he spends most of his time sulking or staring into space for no apparent reason. 4/10.

Killer Elite. Jason Statham muddles his way through yet another formulaic mess. A retired killer seeking to escape his past something something something SAS, something something British government and a secret society, something something oil in the Middle East. Or something.

It turns out he's an elite killer!
:eek:

4/10.

The Reckoning (yes, there are two different movies with this title). Paul H. Bettany shines in this gruelling medieval masterpiece backed by Mark Mancina's controversial music score. Death stalks the land as a group of travelling actors enters the estate of a Norman lord. But one of them hides a dark secret..! :eek:

With strong supporting performances from Marian Aguilera and Valerie Pearson, this film deserves the widest possible audience. 7/10.

Versus. Ryuhei Kitamura's legendary cult classic, starring the ever popular Tak Sakaguchi.

If you've ever wanted to see a man punch his fist straight through somebody's skull and withdraw it to discover a pair of eyeballs wedged between his fingers, this is definitely the film for you. :confused: Japanese indie bizarro cinema at its spectacular best. 6/10.

Caporegime
The Fast and the Furious. Never watched any of these before so I thought I'd give it the old college try. Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. This cinematic abortion looks like it was made in the mid-90s with a mid-80s cast, a mid-70s plot, and a mid-60s colour palette.

Contains many memorable lines, including:

'This doesn't feel right.'
'Aaaaaah, my arm!'
'Yeah, it's funny how that works out.'
'I like the tuna here.'
'Let's go for a little ride.'
'He went to the car wash.'

Move over Shakespeare, the pros have arrived! :rolleyes:

Unmitigated cretinosity. 2/10.

Give over. It's fluff, but it's very competent fluff.

Back
Top Bottom