Windows 10

Caporegime
Oh good grief, why is this concept so hard to understand?

They only need to validate the upgrade on an existing Win7/8 installation, not actually install it! There's no reason whatsoever why they couldn't have a system whereby they validate your system as eligible, register your product key and/or hardware hash on their servers and then just have a message to the effect of "You are confirmed as eligible for a Windows 10 upgrade, do you wish to install this now?". You'd then have the option of not actually doing the in-place upgrade but instead downloading the ISO and installing afresh.

Of course they need an existing, licensed Win7/8 installation to validate the upgrade but that's all they need to do. They do not need to force you to actually upgrade the installation.

Your suggested 'system' is the upgrade!

You validate your system as being eligible and register your key and hardware hash by doing the upgrade. It really is very simple to understand.

You, like a lot of people on here, are just blinked by your own individual view of the world. 99% of all people using Windows will not do a clean install or want to download an ISO or anything. They will click a button, and get Windows 10, simple as that. Almost all those people will be OEM too where an ISO is irrelevant anyway.

Why would Microsoft go to the efforts of making a separate system to cater for the 1% of people out there who use ISOs? You've just got into a bit of a hissy because you are in that 1% and have decided that the entire world is against you.

And then there's the added point that ISOs aren't needed anyway for your clean install. Once you have taken the upgrade you just hit Reset PC within Windows 10 and it does it for you. Hey presto, clean install, no ISO. You only really need an ISO if your building a new machine.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't seem to get realtek audio drivers to install on windows 10 at all. Everytime I restart, it launches the program and automatically uninstalls itself lol. Any ideas?

I have had problems manually installing Realtek drivers myself on Windows 7 where by the computer would crash on boot when the driver was installed. As I did not really need it anyway I never bothered installing it and my PC was fine, fast forward to Windows 10 and they are forcing this update on me and it's contributing to more crashing yet again.

You know it's one thing been fed these auto updates which I don't really mind for the critical security ones, but must they really insist on pushing hardware drivers on to us? I make my own decision what I want or need installing, I don't need Microsoft holding my hand and pushing updates on to me that I simply don't need or otherwise would not bother installing. I don't give a damn if they are tested by insiders first, if I want something installing I will do it myself, don't do it for me!

Soldato
I have had problems manually installing Realtek drivers myself on Windows 7 where by the computer would crash on boot when the driver was installed. As I did not really need it anyway I never bothered installing it and my PC was fine, fast forward to Windows 10 and they are forcing this update on me and it's contributing to more crashing yet again.

You know it's one thing been fed these auto updates which I don't really mind for the critical security ones, but must they really insist on pushing hardware drivers on to us? I make my own decision what I want or need installing, I don't need Microsoft holding my hand and pushing updates on to me that I simply don't need or otherwise would not bother installing. I don't give a damn if they are tested by insiders first, if I want something installing I will do it myself, don't do it for me!

It seems as far as MS are concerned tough s***, I have been moaning about this on the MS forums, but so far.........

Soldato
:confused: source / basis for comment.
The sentence above the bit you quoted? Win 8 offer was "upgrade only". turns out you just had to point the ISO to a USB stick, download it and then quit the installer to do a clean install as the ISO was Full and they emailed you the legit key as the installer only downloaded after the license check on your current system.

Which is exactly what Vertigo is saying. I'm saying whilst they publicised it being upgrade but actually used the sensible system which allows people to clean install as well.

I bought 3 licenses via their upgrade offer (15 quid) and did a clean install on all of them

I was just about to say that - it riles me when things go wrong with my home PC because I spend all day every day doing just that - troubleshooting, so the last thing I want to do when I get home is repeat it. Mind, I've not gone for such drastic action as buying an Apple computer! :D
what on earth do you do to your PC? :D Clean install on Win release, disable hibernation caching (small ssd), install start8 and empty recycle bin. only "jobs" I have to do beyond updating software.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apologies if this has already been asked but being a large fast paced thread I didn't see it, but when the upgrade goes live on the 29th will it be rolled out slowly to stop the MS servers getting murdered and if so how will the priorities work, I mean who will get to upgrade first and how will it roll out to other further down the line? Will be like first come first served from when it was reserved?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Thanks! :)

Soldato
Apologies if this has already been asked but being a large fast paced thread I didn't see it, but when the upgrade goes live on the 29th will it be rolled out slowly to stop the MS servers getting murdered and if so how will the priorities work, I mean who will get to upgrade first and how will it roll out to other further down the line? Will be like first come first served from when it was reserved?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Thanks! :)

29th will likely be just those involved in the Insider program. As for how the rest get it, no doubt it will be a lottery and in no particular order.

Soldato
29th will likely be just those involved in the Insider program. As for how the rest get it, no doubt it will be a lottery and in no particular order.

Cheers for the reply Dave. That makes sense that the people in the insider program get it first. MS should have given a bit more clarity to the whole situation though as I think many folks are still a little confused with certain aspects of the Windows 10 release.

Not long to wait now to see what happens though! :)

Soldato
There's no big bang upgrade on the 29th. The Windows Update they put out to reserve your upgrade is designed to pre-stage the files and drip feed it out starting on the 29th.

So there will be a load of people moaning in this thread at one minute past midnight on the 29th when it doesn't immediately kick into action. ;)

Soldato
There's no big bang upgrade on the 29th. The Windows Update they put out to reserve your upgrade is designed to pre-stage the files and drip feed it out starting on the 29th.

So there will be a load of people moaning in this thread at one minute past midnight on the 29th when it doesn't immediately kick into action. ;)

Haha, well I wont be moaning if I have to wait, its a free upgrade after all. :D

But it does make sense to roll it out like that as I think the internet itself would meltdown if everyone upgraded at the same time. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
The upgrade on july 29th will be slowed roll out say microsoft but not sure what is slowed roll out mean?

Probably not everybody will be downloading at the same time to protect the broadband network over congestion.

Soldato
Microsoft know how to do this stuff - their enterprise management solutions like SCCM will pre-stage files for deployments over corporate networks as and when the bandwidth is available. Don't make n00b errors and it works well.

Caporegime
Yeah latest stats suggest about 70% of internet connected PC's are running Windows 7 or 8.1. You can probably carve out a massive chunk of that as business machines, but consumer devices are still going to be in the many many millions.

Its not just the download servers, I imagine Microsoft and the OEMs are having to get a load more people on their helpdesk to cover the upgrade too.

Soldato
So how were they telling 'porkies', they gave you the method what they had tested and approved.

I take it you cant read, may I suggest a different medium to communicate in future.

They said it was "upgrade only" It wasnt. you could do a clean install with the ISO they provided.

Thats it. thats a porkie. When it was realised a clean install could be done, various "how to" sprung up on tech sites because Microsoft were insisting it was Upgrade only.

This is why them being "cagey" about the Win 10 release details suggests to me a similar thing will be possible.

Caporegime
I take it you cant read, may I suggest a different medium to communicate in future.

They said it was "upgrade only" It wasnt. you could do a clean install with the ISO they provided.

Thats it. thats a porkie. When it was realised a clean install could be done, various "how to" sprung up on tech sites because Microsoft were insisting it was Upgrade only.

This is why them being "cagey" about the Win 10 release details suggests to me a similar thing will be possible.

Nice, open with an insult while completely missing that the Windows 10 upgrade won't come with a key so can't be fresh installed from the start.

Can I suggest your get your facts straight before firing abuse at people?

Man of Honour
OP

You also couldn't do that, you had to use a place holder key, until you were in, then change to your own key and activate. So it was a work around for us. Not an official method. Untill fairly recently when they changed it.

Back
Top Bottom