Windows 10

Associate
Very much so, especially if you work in IT!

It's the very reason I mainly use a Mac. No software issues of any note in over nine years. <dons flame suit>

The Windows machine is used for gaming and that's it, it's still running an installation of Windows 7 from the day it launched. If it ain't broke, don't fix it or mess with it.

I was just about to say that - it riles me when things go wrong with my home PC because I spend all day every day doing just that - troubleshooting, so the last thing I want to do when I get home is repeat it. Mind, I've not gone for such drastic action as buying an Apple computer! :D

Soldato
Peronally I have a main machine (laptop) which I don't mess with. Other machines which I mess about with install things like Beta (W10). So breaking it isn't a problem. If you have a iffy bit of hardware its going to make any OS unstable.

Associate
Hello wonder if anybody could answer a couple of q's regarding 10, how does the licencing work I've got 7, but I want to install 10 on a new fresh ssd without anything on it is it possible just to download it and install it or do you need to overwrite an o's?
Can I download it onto a 16gb memory stick and insert it when I plug my new ssd in?

Thank you

Soldato
I can't seem to get realtek audio drivers to install on windows 10 at all. Everytime I restart, it launches the program and automatically uninstalls itself lol. Any ideas?

I think that I sussed it out, at least on my PC. I had the same issue as you and found that it was Windows 10 that was installing it's version first before the installation of the Realtek drivers could occur. The Realtek driver inatallation would then remove them and insist on a reboot before it would install its own. That cycle keeps repeating.

What I did prior to installing the Realtek ones is to remove the MS ones from device manager. Once done the Realtek driver install does not pick up the other drivers being installed and so installs its own.

Associate
Hello wonder if anybody could answer a couple of q's regarding 10, how does the licencing work I've got 7, but I want to install 10 on a new fresh ssd without anything on it is it possible just to download it and install it or do you need to overwrite an o's?
Can I download it onto a 16gb memory stick and insert it when I plug my new ssd in?

Thank you
The only way so far that I've seen is to overwrite a previous Windows 7 or 8 install.

MS have been very vague about the update process to date, but the general consensus seems to be that you will update from a previous Windows 7 /8 install. The update process will tie your hardware (maybe motherboard ID, not specified) to your Windows 10 install.
After that you can wipe and clean install to the same hardware allegedly.

So It's using the OEM licencing model basically.
I've not seen anything about doing a clean install using a retail key.

Probably best to wait for the 29th and onwards, when MS will have to come clean about these details.

Soldato
I installed the tech preview on a USB and installed from that on a test PC.

I won't be rushing to upgrade my main machines. I'll stick to W7&8 on them for quite a while yet.

Soldato
The only way so far that I've seen is to overwrite a previous Windows 7 or 8 install.

MS have been very vague about the update process to date, but the general consensus seems to be that you will update from a previous Windows 7 /8 install. The update process will tie your hardware (maybe motherboard ID, not specified) to your Windows 10 install.

Probably best to wait for the 29th and onwards, when MS will have to come clean about these details.
They said that during Win 8's release and it turned out the special offer version that was touted as upgrade only was clean install as well if you just chose to download the ISO to a USB stick instead of installing through the help wizard.

Like you say, We shall see but they have past behaviour for telling porkies :p

Soldato

Thank you

With Win 8/8.1 and Win 10 there is an option in the settings to do a clean install. Microsoft have said that you can upgrade to the free copy of Win 10 and then restore it from the settings.

Man of Honour
OP

They haven't been unclear.
You have to first upgrade, to get your key upgraded. Once you've upgraded. Then you can install on a fresh drive from ISO Microsoft will release for download.
So a bit of extra work, but he can certainly install in a brand new ssd. But only after he's upgraded his old install.

Associate
They haven't been unclear.
You have to first upgrade, to get your key upgraded. Once you've upgraded. Then you can install on a fresh drive from ISO Microsoft will release for download.
So a bit of extra work, but he can certainly install in a brand new ssd. But only after he's upgraded his old install.

Seems like a bit of a long winded process but I can see why they've done it this way.

Associate
Thanks for my answers, think I'm just going to download it on my tablet and have a look see if I like it, and keep my win7 on my tower for now

Don't know what was wrong with 2.1x, was quite happy with that.:)

Thank you

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a perfectly sensible approach and is the logical way to distribute an upgrade.

Oh good grief, why is this concept so hard to understand?

They only need to validate the upgrade on an existing Win7/8 installation, not actually install it! There's no reason whatsoever why they couldn't have a system whereby they validate your system as eligible, register your product key and/or hardware hash on their servers and then just have a message to the effect of "You are confirmed as eligible for a Windows 10 upgrade, do you wish to install this now?". You'd then have the option of not actually doing the in-place upgrade but instead downloading the ISO and installing afresh.

Of course they need an existing, licensed Win7/8 installation to validate the upgrade but that's all they need to do. They do not need to force you to actually upgrade the installation.

Soldato

They only need to validate the upgrade on an existing Win7/8 installation, not actually install it! There's no reason whatsoever why they couldn't have a system whereby they validate your system as eligible, register your product key and/or hardware hash on their servers and then just have a message to the effect of "You are confirmed as eligible for a Windows 10 upgrade, do you wish to install this now?". You'd then have the option of not actually doing the in-place upgrade but instead downloading the ISO and installing afresh.

Of course they need an existing, licensed Win7/8 installation to validate the upgrade but that's all they need to do. They do not need to force you to actually upgrade the installation.

To put it bluntly, tough, they have chosen to do it that way and no amount of forum moaning will change it :p

They have their reasons, if you don't like it, don't upgrade, wait for a future method to materialise.

Hope the thread gets closed off after 29th and a new one opens, its just the same questions over and over and a constant, 'it's not how I want it / Windows X did it better' posts :(

Last edited:
Soldato

the reason why you need to upgrade it first is so it can send your hardware ID and installation ID to MS server. then when you do a clean install you won't need to enter a key, once installed it'll activate automatically

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom