Win 10, yay or nay?

PayDay Lover
Associate
I will be upgrading....well, eventually :( My Win 7 is apparently no longer genuine (guessing where I bought it was using dodgy keys) so I cannot do the free upgrade.

Associate
I quite like it so far. The only thing really bugging me is the recycle bin icon!

My upgrade installed 15.7 so I've just had to install 15.7.1

Only played W3 but it's running as well as on Win 7 for me.

Soldato
Upgraded from 8.1, which I didn't actually mind as an OS, to 10. And so far I'm enjoying the new experience. Had no issues going through the upgrade process, even though I usually do a fresh install. I've not gamed loads, but the few I have played seem to be running at well, if not better, on Win 10.

Soldato
Windows 10 has really impressed me, even though I did have issues upgrading and also with nvidia drivers(purely user error though on my part)

Ui - much improved and very easy to use and work with. The combination of live tiles and the start menu is genius and functions flawlessly. I think this is the nicest looking os to date.

Size - 15gb for an os? Amazing! I know that updates and new rollouts will increase this but wow, very small.

Performance - non gaming - using's the menus/settings is very fast and fluid and the resources the os takes up are reduced from 8.1. On my machine I'm looking at a 5% reduction in ram usage from 18% to 13% comparing 8.1 to 10.
This is even more impressive when you consider how much extra is technically running in the background.

Performance - gaming - all I can say is they have done a cracking job!!! I have managed to bump up msaa in gtav and keep the same fps constant.

Bad things
The ui, even though it looks nice still needs a bit of polishing. Few things move slightly on their own accord - user picture moves two pixels to the right when you click in th login box fir example.

Start menu sometimes doesn't open also.

Soldato
What is it with Asus and Creative, they both make great hardware, but are a complete and utter shambles when it comes to drivers.

Every OS release, they are months behind in releasing stable drivers.

Asus drivers running great here on my Win10,Asus motherboard and Asus Xonar DX card,all fine in my games testing so far.

Creative are the worst period in drivers,one reason why I purchased my Xonar DX card.
I say go for it,DX12 one reason,both my 10 upgrades went smooth.
I'll say most of Asus boards use Intel or AMD so better getting drivers from them,mine were already updated ,ie Intel Lan driver,chipset,Intel SSD Cache software,Realtek drivers for onboard sound in a lot of cases.

Side note at least those lazy companies with the Vista driver fiasco realize getting drivers out faster is important.
Win10 in general is good at getting drivers,obviously always cases where some people get issues,happens on every Windows OS and Linux.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Putting it on now.... nope not worth all the hassle and faff that you may encounter, microsoft have already announced a "service pack" update for next month.

Soldato
Soundcard - ZXR
Fave Game - Dirt Rally
GPU - SLI

I'm now on windows 10 and everything works lovely. All of the above are flawlessly supported.

My pro driver installer licence can't recommend anything newer for anything than windows did automatically. Even the tiny little chipset parts that usually get missed out are installed and my usb3.0 works for the first time in ages.

Associate
Was always a fan of 8 anyway but the more time I have had with 10 the more I love it.

I know a lot of people aren't a fan of MS's current UI style but I really do like the flat sharp look of the OS.

Associate
I'm going to wait as I only done a fresh install of Win7 a month ago. But I have seen a lot of users report of performance improvements on both gaming and benchmarks on Win 10 over say 8.1.

Associate
Windows 10 Home x64 ISO seems to be ~3.8GB.

I tried updating last night but it failed, I've since read that there's an issue around having more than one bootable or external drive connected during the upgrade process. I have two Win 8.1 bootable SSD's installed, so watch out for that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom