ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 144hz 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync.

Man of Honour
I can only comment on what I see infront of me, No reason for me to make up bull.

I have the Dell U2913wm next to my TN Swift (well it would be if the Swift wasn't awaiting RMA :( ) and the Dell is one of the better IPS panels and other than the colour saturation and viewing angles there isn't a dramatic difference between them once you have the Swift half decently calibrated. Sure its no IPS panel but it doesn't look out of place alongside a decent IPS panel.

I now have the XL2420T in its place until the replacement Swift arrives and that is another story... absolute eye sore next to the Dell :(

Associate
I have the Dell U2913wm next to my TN Swift (well it would be if the Swift wasn't awaiting RMA :( ) and the Dell is one of the better IPS panels and other than the colour saturation and viewing angles there isn't a dramatic difference between them once you have the Swift half decently calibrated. Sure its no IPS panel but it doesn't look out of place alongside a decent IPS panel.

I now have the XL2420T in its place until the replacement Swift arrives and that is another story... absolute eye sore next to the Dell :(

I have that exact same Dell monitor and was looking to replace it with the PG278Q but to my eyes, there was no comparison. Even with the 144Hz and Gsync, I couldn't handle the reduction in image quality.

Man of Honour
I have that exact same Dell monitor and was looking to replace it with the PG278Q but to my eyes, there was no comparison. Even with the 144Hz and Gsync, I couldn't handle the reduction in image quality.

Out the box the PG278Q is usually bright and under-saturated with a bleached out look and unbalanced reds - but with calibration (especially changing the gamma scale) you can improve it immensely - it'll never have the accuracy or deep saturation of an IPS panel if you are doing image editing, etc. but once calibrated its accurate and saturated enough not to stand out like a sore thumb beside a good IPS panel - unlike many TN panels which just look horrid when say beside the Dell.

Soldato
I think most of you are due a trip to specsavers.

Actually I have great eyesight, (5/6) and work in the advertising industry as a Retoucher and Graphic Designer so I like to think I have a better idea than most on colour accuracy. :D

I've owned Iyama Diamondtron CRTs at 19 and 21", NEC, Hazro and Apple IPS screens at 23-27", the Eizo Foris VA 24", a 6 bit TN Asus and now the Swift and none of them have been perfect, I could sit here all day and moan about each of them but as a gaming screen the swift is the best of the bunch. :)

Calibrate it properly and the difference is minimal. If you're doing anything colour critical professionally you'd want something better than a bog standard 8 bit IPS anyway imo as they tend to band in gradients.

Associate
Hello everyone. Does anyone know when these will be back in stock?

I've had some terrible luck with mine so far, I'm not a fussy person I swear but the first I ordered from no competitor talk please!and it arrived with dust under the screen so I sent it back for a replacement and it was out of stock by the time it got back. I got a refund from them and bought one from OCUK and this one arrived with dust again along with a nasty dead pixel, so again I rma'd only to find out the same thing has happend and that they are out of stock, so at the moment i'm down £750 and without a monitor:(

Associate
Hello everyone. Does anyone know when these will be back in stock?

I've had some terrible luck with mine so far, I'm not a fussy person I swear but the first I ordered from SCAN and it arrived with dust under the screen so I sent it back for a replacement and it was out of stock by the time it got back. I got a refund from them and bought one from OCUK and this one arrived with dust again along with a nasty dead pixel, so again I rma'd only to find out the same thing has happend and that they are out of stock, so at the moment i'm down £750 and without a monitor:(

I feel your pain, I think made mistake sent back mine today only for white dot very hard notice and tiny mark on bezel :(

Associate
Why is there so many people moaning and whinning in this thread?
It looks amazing, has excellent colour, responsive and smooth. What more do you want?
Had no issues with dead pixels etc.

Mobster
Soldato
Actually I have great eyesight, (5/6) and work in the advertising industry as a Retoucher and Graphic Designer so I like to think I have a better idea than most on colour accuracy. :D

I've owned Iyama Diamondtron CRTs at 19 and 21", NEC, Hazro and Apple IPS screens at 23-27", the Eizo Foris VA 24", a 6 bit TN Asus and now the Swift and none of them have been perfect, I could sit here all day and moan about each of them but as a gaming screen the swift is the best of the bunch. :)

Calibrate it properly and the difference is minimal. If you're doing anything colour critical professionally you'd want something better than a bog standard 8 bit IPS anyway imo as they tend to band in gradients.

This TN is an 8 bit panel yes, but its not one build for image quality its built for speed. I got a very good gaming experiencing with my Swift but it was faulty and in the end when I went back to my Dell PVA it was night and day, minus the gsync, the dell laughed at it for image quality. No amount of calibration is going to take away the horrendous colour shift from that Swift TN, you cant even look anywhere on that screen and not see it, and I mean anywhere. The vertical shift is insane, that's the just of it. As for the saturation, I'm not going to go there. If you are going to switch on this monitor and only use it for games and thats it, then yeah go for it. If you use it for any desktop work at all (which a lot of people do) then you are not going to enjoy this monitor, its a TN. Another drawback is the zero processing on this, absolutely not one iota of post processing. Awful.

Man of Honour
This TN is an 8 bit panel yes, but its not one build for image quality its built for speed. I got a very good gaming experiencing with my Swift but it was faulty and in the end when I went back to my Dell PVA it was night and day, minus the gsync, the dell laughed at it for image quality. No amount of calibration is going to take away the horrendous colour shift from that Swift TN, you cant even look anywhere on that screen and not see it, and I mean anywhere. The vertical shift is insane, that's the just of it. As for the saturation, I'm not going to go there. If you are going to switch on this monitor and only use it for games and thats it, then yeah go for it. If you use it for any desktop work at all (which a lot of people do) then you are not going to enjoy this monitor, its a TN. Another drawback is the zero processing on this, absolutely not one iota of post processing. Awful.

Sounds like you had one that was on the poorer side of average whereas mine was on the better side of average for them - seen some of the images of the vertical shift with a lot of darkening at the top and it was nothing like that on mine - could only see it at all from extreme viewing angles. Once I'd adjusted the gamma in software (sure that does affect fidelity) the colour saturation didn't look out of place side by side with an IPS - sure its never going to be in the same league as a good IPS panel but it was passable enough compared to most TNs which just look sickly and horrid side by side with the Dell.

Associate
I've been following this thread from day one and I finally took delivery of it yesterday. I was a bit skeptical because of the issues of Acer's offering, but it now sits in between my two dell 24" IPS monitors. Its amazing!

I have thoroughly checked out the monitor for dead pixels and I can't find any. The overclocking to 165Hz works, but for my needs I have it set at 144Hz.

The amount of screen space this offers over my two 1920x1200 monitors is huge. I'm not a huge gamer, but GTA5 for 20mins last night looked amazing. I have a 980ti.

I will be ordering another two of these soon purely for the 'real estate' they offer over my current monitors.

Can you recommend anything to get the colour brightness, contrast etc set up correctly, for free, preferably!

Mobster
Soldato
I've been following this thread from day one and I finally took delivery of it yesterday. I was a bit skeptical because of the issues of Acer's offering, but it now sits in between my two dell 24" IPS monitors. Its amazing!

I have thoroughly checked out the monitor for dead pixels and I can't find any. The overclocking to 165Hz works, but for my needs I have it set at 144Hz.

The amount of screen space this offers over my two 1920x1200 monitors is huge. I'm not a huge gamer, but GTA5 for 20mins last night looked amazing. I have a 980ti.

I will be ordering another two of these soon purely for the 'real estate' they offer over my current monitors.

Can you recommend anything to get the colour brightness, contrast etc set up correctly, for free, preferably!

badass is going to upload an icc profile this weekend, it should help you a little.

Soldato
Are there any hints that Asus (or anyone) will step up to the plate and deliver this kind of panel/resolution in a 32" 16:9 form factor?

27" at 16:9 isn't really an improvement over my 24" at 16:10...

Back
Top Bottom