Fire risks prompt tumble dryer recall - Now washing machines as well!

Soldato
Mine is getting replaced on the 30th December.

Full replacement - brand new one. Can't complain at that. Got a call about 2 weeks ago confirming the details, then got a call last week from the delivery company - they will take the old one away and give me a brand new one.

Happy with that. It was around 5 years old anyway.

Cool - wonder if they'll replace mine too then? So far I've just had an email and a "we'll be in touch".

What factor decides repair vs replacement does anyone know?

Soldato
I hope I get a new one - The auto shut off sensors dont seem to work despite all the parts linked to that part of the system being replaced 4 weeks after I got it. I just gave up with it in the end.

I am still waiting follow up - Also just had the standard holding email so far.

Permabanned
Aye I understand that they've got a lot of work to do to fix them (apparently in some cases they're simply replacing them*), but you would have thought that at the very least when they realised they had a problem they could have done a DB look up of their registered appliances for the relevant models and automatically generated a letter.
I can't imagine it would have taken them much to do, and it would likely have streamlined the process at their end a lot saving a lot of call centre time.
Instead they seem to have left it to the customer to make contact regardless of if the customer has already registered.

*I suspect it's cheaper for them than sending an engineer out.

People don't register the warranties, on top of that people flog them on second hand it must be a nightmare trying to trace them.

Permabanned
I hope I get a new one - The auto shut off sensors dont seem to work despite all the parts linked to that part of the system being replaced 4 weeks after I got it. I just gave up with it in the end.

I am still waiting follow up - Also just had the standard holding email so far.

They will not fix any other problem than that associated with the fire risk.

Associate
Just booked the delivery of the brand new replacement (a FETV60CP) for my dryer - one year warranty and 10 years parts cover.

I was amazed when the chap on the telephone told me the serial number indicated that my machine was 11 years old :)

Permabanned
just checked mine, didn't know about this, its affected, bought in 2011 its an aqualtis one, never gone wrong, hope I get a shiny new one ;)

Soldato
OP
OldCoals is the expert, he fixes them every day.
OldCoals suggested I buy a White knight recently at the price point I was willing to pay.

I'm generally shocked to hear that as a few family members have had the White knight range over the years as a stop gap and they all tuned out to be cheaply made junk.

Soldato
Personally I don't think White Knights are built how they were and the short lifespan of the current appliances proves that.

Man of Honour
I'm generally shocked to hear that as a few family members have had the White knight range over the years as a stop gap and they all tuned out to be cheaply made junk.

Let's face it. at a £140 price point all makes will be cheaply made junk but some will have cheaper parts than others.
Talking to my mate who owns a Domestic Appliance shop and he reckons at that price point he also recommends White Knight because he doesn't want to ever see them again.

Soldato
Cool - wonder if they'll replace mine too then? So far I've just had an email and a "we'll be in touch".

What factor decides repair vs replacement does anyone know?

I wasn't even bothering with it as my dry seemed fine - wife nagged me to check if it was affected. In the end it was!

Anyway - registered online, took about a month, then I got a call to say I was getting a replacement (FETV60CP model number). They said I would then get a call from the delivery company in about a week which I did. They organised a delivery for 30th Dec - only downside of that is - they can only give a 4 hour delivery window.

Will take away the old one - and give me a new one - never any discussion about changing parts etc - I guess at £150 for a new one, it's cheaper and less hassle just to replace it.

Soldato
SexyGreyFox

What Brand would you suggest?

Thanks

When I was in the UK, I bought an AEG condensing tumble dryer and my housemates and I loved it. I got it from 365 Electrical and it came with a 7 year warranty. Other brands that I looked at were LG, Samsung and Miele.

As you can probably tell from my brand shortlist, I was prepared to pay a lot more than £140 for a decent dryer and did.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Does anyone know if they are replacing the indesit idc75 as above? The belt and pulley have gone on mine again and I am loathed to bother replacing them if it's likely to be replaced anyway!

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Looks like mine's on the list, cheers for the heads up.

Do you reckon they'll also fix my Hotpoint dishwasher which a family of mice decided to make a nest in destroying the electrics? I turned it on unbeknown and a loud pop ensued :p.

Back
Top Bottom