The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Associate
I don't remember the smell. What I found strange about the smell is it wasn't an electrical smell.

I don't have a way to test the power supply other than connecting it to my monitor. I will replace the caps on my current power supply first.

Associate
Caps can give off a horrible smell which isn't electrical.
Personally, I wouldn't replace the caps in a new and working board.
Without testing the 'repaired' board, there is a risk that it could damage the other parts of the monitor. I would be looking for the reason those caps failed in the first place. As a minimum you should power the PCB while not attached to the monitor, preferably armed with a multimeter.
Whatever you do, just be careful :) (and don't put the caps in the wrong way round :D )

Associate
Still got my Philips and am generally very happy with it.

What I like the most -

Ability to run 4k AND ultrawide on the same screen. Useful for productivity and games with lots of buttons lik MMOs for the 4k. The rest of games I tend to play 3840*1648. I have tried using 3dsmax in ultrawide and just find it annoying so would not enjoy a proper 21:9 screen.

What I dislike the most -

The screen can take a while to wake up from sleep where it flashes a few times and has started to flicker on the lower half for a few minutes. I guess this is PWM flicker? Its noticeable but thankfully only lasts a short time after waking up.

What I would buy next -

Same multi functionality of size vs ultrawide but with Gsync technology as I have yet to try it but hear some great things. I used to have a 120hz screen and remember how smooth it was despite a poor image quality. (Which wasn't the reason I sold it, it was very temperamental with my gpu and often took 10 mins to display anything.)

In all honesty, I haven't really played a game yet where 4k has blown me away enough to be worth the performance hit which even on SLI 980tis is obvious to see. The fact that this screen does 4k is not the reason I bought it (although it's the only res which would look decent on a screen this size) but rather for the ability to have a large work space for 3dsmax Photoshop, photos, some MMOs and then be able to run an ultrawide resolution.

Is it the best monitor around? Probably not but it does offer a jack of all trades, master of none approach which for someone like me who isn't all that fussed with image fidelity as long as it works, is a near perfect match.

Last edited:
Associate
Caps can give off a horrible smell which isn't electrical.
Personally, I wouldn't replace the caps in a new and working board.
Without testing the 'repaired' board, there is a risk that it could damage the other parts of the monitor. I would be looking for the reason those caps failed in the first place. As a minimum you should power the PCB while not attached to the monitor, preferably armed with a multimeter.
Whatever you do, just be careful :) (and don't put the caps in the wrong way round :D )
I'm going to take your advice and be a little more careful with my monitor. I'm a little familiar with replacing caps, but advice helps as I'm not trained. I do know about polarity. I replaced all the caps on my NEC TurboXpress. Remember that one? :D

I must admit the $1000 I've saved for over a year in my envelope labeled MONITOR has been staring at me for a while. I've placed $20 a week for over a year in this envelope and has now reach over $1000. This money is for my next monitor. If Philips offers Freesync with that 43 incher, I might just use my lunch money up.

You read people posting VA panels are a cheap alternative, but I find the blacks on my monitor are darker than my DELL U3014, which I paid $200 more than this monitor, uses IPS technology, bled light on black backgrounds, and was a 30 inch screen.

Last edited:
Associate
I am really close to ordering this monitor but would like to ask a quick question before purchasing.

I would like to know if the monitor is pushed right back against a wall what the distance is from the front of the screen to the wall.
The depth of my desk is 62cm and my current 27" monitor sticks out 13cm from the wall.

I am worried that the screen may stick out too much and be too close.

Associate
I am really close to ordering this monitor but would like to ask a quick question before purchasing.

I would like to know if the monitor is pushed right back against a wall what the distance is from the front of the screen to the wall.
The depth of my desk is 62cm and my current 27" monitor sticks out 13cm from the wall.

I am worried that the screen may stick out too much and be too close.
About 4-5 inches.

Associate
Sorry guys i have checked about 15 pages of the thread but couldnt find anything.

I have these issues.

1. When i wake up and turn my computer on the monitor doesent detect it turning on so i have to manually reach to the back of the monitor and move the dial to wake it up and then turn the computer on afterwards. is there anyway to fix this? (using hdmi to hdmi)

2. When watching movies there is a green line at the very bottom of the screen.

Soldato
Look what's appeared on IT-Supplier:

Looks like the monitor is already out. Hopefully Overclockers stock it or add it for pre-orders. It's definitely my next monitor, going to replace my TV and Monitor with it.

It isn't out until May - June (note out of stock on the website). It's also against the rules to post something like that, so I suggest you remove it ASAP.

And Smurfin, I assume you mean IPS, not LCD.

Last edited:
Associate
Back
Top Bottom