Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (April Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 452 45.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 553 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-warns-Tory-minister.html?ito=social-facebook

you've gotta wonder - if something like that did happen, would we not end up leaving a few years down the line anyway?

There is also the 5 presidents report to consider, which outlines plans to replace all member state representation on international bodies with EU ones, as well as a raft of other consolidations and power changes. Will have to be ratified by treaty change, but we shouldn't assume that we would veto any such change.

Suspended
I sincerely hope we stay in. All the leave arguments I've heard so far seem rather short-sighted.

All the remain arguments seem hysterical and nonsensical. I am still waiting for someone to create a genuinely neutral list of pros and cons for each which are based upon fact or the very best forecasting.

Because we still haven't got this I do not accept that anyone is able to make a fully informed decision.

And for the record I thought Obama was completely out of order interfering; I am disappointed with Cameron for inviting him to comment.

Soldato
It works on a simple majority; in theory a single vote could take us out.

Thankyou.

Expanding on that, is there a required minimum turnout for the vote?

Again in massively simple terms, if only 1000 people voted, everyone else sat at home, would these votes carry for the nation?

I know these are obvious questions but you'd be surprised how many people don't know and how hard it is to find clear information. Working in an office of 20 people, varying levels of education from high school to graduates, age 27-60 and no one is really sure.

Last edited:
Associate
http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/380

National Insurance Numbers and Immigration figures for Eastern Europeans
Miscellaneous: MW 380
Summary

1. Official figures for Eastern European net migration could have been underestimated by more than 50,000 a year in each of the last five years. If so, this would mean that net migration from the EU is actually running at about 220,000 year and that the EU is now the largest source of foreign migration to the UK. It would also mean that total net migration to the UK is currently running at about 375,000 a year.

Suspended
Thankyou.

Again in massively simple terms, if only 1000 people voted, everyone else sat at home, would these votes carry for the nation?

If the votes were cast and collected in accordance with the rules then why not?

That won't be the case though; I expect voter turn out to be extremely high.

Soldato
If the votes were cast and collected in accordance with the rules then why not?

That won't be the case though; I expect voter turn out to be extremely high.

That question came about as a polish girl in the office stated when they had a referendum, 50% of the voting eligible population had to vote for the decision to carry.

Don
Imthinking 60% turn out of eligable voters

I would love to agree with you but I really think that it will be in the mid 30s when it actually comes down to it.
This is what might swing it for the 'leave' camp as voter apathy I'm thinking is more prevalent in the 'remain' camp.
I have no data to back any of this up though so it's entirely opinion and of no real value.

Caporegime

No. But, in practice, it's kind of irrelevant because turnout will not be low.

I know these are obvious questions but you'd be surprised how many people don't know and how hard it is to find clear information. Working in an office of 20 people, varying levels of education from high school to graduates, age 27-60 and no one is really sure.

Here's the legislation so you can read exactly what it says :)

You might also want to read the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000 which sets out the rules for referenda.

Last edited:
Associate
Still a no vote. I'm not keen on what's happening to the Nordic states with immigration issues or Germany's level of influx. I'm honestly not sure infrasture is there and if we don't really gain control back, which I don't see us doing inside the EU, that it could potentially be a huge problem in the next couple of years.

Note - I am not anti immigration at all. In fact I think we should be relatively open where we can support it.

Man of Honour
OP
Still a no vote. I'm not keen on what's happening to the Nordic states with immigration issues or Germany's level of influx. I'm honestly not sure infrasture is there and if we don't really gain control back, which I don't see us doing inside the EU, that it could potentially be a huge problem in the next couple of years.

Note - I am not anti immigration at all. In fact I think we should be relatively open where we can support it.

What's happening in the Nordic states and Germany isn't affecting us here, now, in the EU. What control have we lost?

Soldato
Well there is a lot of little things we lost control of. Rules that the EU keep bringing in which don't really work in the UK. We have no say in them.

E.g. Rules on mortgages being capped at 4 or 5x your wages was an EU ruling. That's fine in Europe where houses are generally a lot cheaper. But it means most in the UK can't afford a place any more unless they saved up a gigantic deposit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well there is a lot of little things we lost control of. Rules that the EU keep bringing in which don't really work in the UK. We have no say in them.

E.g. Rules on mortgages being capped at 4 or 5x your wages was an EU ruling. That's fine in Europe where houses are generally a lot cheaper. But it means most in the UK can't afford a place any more unless they saved up a gigantic deposit.

To be fair, that's not a terrible policy. Instead of people being mortgaged to the hilt, something should be done to address the prices in the first place. Do we really want to be in a position where handing a mortgage down to your kids is the norm?

I agree with the sentiment of it being a mixed bag and one size doesn't fit all, though.

Soldato
Yea but we now have people paying e.g. £800 for rent, but being denied a £600 per month mortgage because of these rules. Which is a bit silly.

Caporegime

The European Mortgage Credit Directive does not specify any such thing. It does require lenders to be prudent in their lending decisions and, in any case, this was something agreed and voted for by the UK government.

When I used to do mortgage applications 3.5x limits were the norm in the UK (although that was a long time ago now). A 4x or 5x multiple is still a pretty extreme example so I don't think it was ever the case that lenders would have generally been willing to lend at such rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom