****Official Doom 4 Thread****

Soldato
Yeah the spawning behind you thing in D3 was stupid.

It got the point I'd just walk into a room backwards and start shooting it was so predictable.

Soldato
Anyone above who didnt like the monster spawns shluld 100 % try the bfg edition with the immersive hd mod.

Played thru this gettig myself ready for doom 4, just onto the lost missions expansions now.

Also 120hz support and changable fov.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Cheesy monster spawns are my single biggest memory of D3 and there's no place for this sort of cheap design in a modern AAA title. The game could have been amazing if they'd had some more talented level designers.

It still amazes me they went with cutting edge tech at the time and opted for gameplay gimmicks from 1993. Suppose that lends a lot to the phrase that id are more engine developers than game developers and have been for some time. But even that started to falter with idtech 4 onwards as it only suited corridor shooters and really nothing outdoors, not many studios licensed the doom 3 engine, and afaik they don't license engines out any-more after being bought by bethesda.

Soldato
I played the original and then more recently the BFG edition and the expansion for both. My memory of the original is probably a little hazy as I played it once when it released.

I actually liked the flashlight not being attached to the gun. Made it far scarier when you have to keep switching to flashlight to see where the enemies are in certain parts. Although I can see why most people that just want to mow down rooms filled with demons wouldn't like that.

Caporegime
I actually liked the flashlight not being attached to the gun. Made it far scarier when you have to keep switching to flashlight to see where the enemies are in certain parts. Although I can see why most people that just want to mow down rooms filled with demons wouldn't like that.

Was a bit of a cheesy mechanic really, just forcing you to slow down and play the game their way. IIRC resurrection of evil was actually even darker in quite a few of its levels.

Man of Honour
It still amazes me they went with cutting edge tech at the time and opted for gameplay gimmicks from 1993. Suppose that lends a lot to the phrase that id are more engine developers than game developers and have been for some time. But even that started to falter with idtech 4 onwards as it only suited corridor shooters and really nothing outdoors, not many studios licensed the doom 3 engine, and afaik they don't license engines out any-more after being bought by bethesda.

The engine could do large landscapes fine though was under used for it and even with ETQW wasn't utilised as well as it could have been.

Soldato

I actually rank Doom 3 as one of my favourite games of all time, and have played through it once at least every year since release.

It's no Doom/Doom 2 but it has something that a lot of games lack - an atmosphere, and a dedication to doing what it does well. Especially now, too many try to spread themselves over every base and end up doing nothing extraordinary.

Soldato
CD keys were my preferred destination for this (22 quid I think).

I wont bother with the online because

a)I am usually crap at twitch shooters
b)This game will not having a following in Asia. Everyone over here plays DOTA and LoL, and I dont believe that my ping would be too great connecting to a European server. A handicap I dont need when I am already crap with it.

Always enjoyed the Doom games, and I dont believe this will be an exception.

Soldato
Gameplay gimmicks or not, they certainly worked on me. I went through quite a few pairs of underwear while playing the original Doom 3 when it released. I had the house to myself for a couple of weeks and was playing it late at night with the lights off and my new surround sound system setup while eating a pack of hobnobs and it was an amazing gaming memory. I guess this nostalgia is what is driving me to want more of the same and not some boring blastemup. Although I am a massive horror film/game fan as well which is probably another reason. Love the Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Aliens, Dead Space series.

I enjoyed playing through the BFG edition, although it seemed to lack something with the gimmicks taken out for me. It was still a lot of fun to play through though and despite its age held up very well today imo.

Back
Top Bottom