***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
Yes.

I have heard a theory/myth/legend the RDal was invented to support development of the hamstrings and glutes for their weightlifters... Who spent most of their time not doing deadlifts or fatman squats. As a result, they came up with something that resembled a non-explosive variant of the second pull.

So give your knees another inch or so of bend and keep your chest up hard; both will help you keep the bar back as far as possible for the improved centre of gravity gains...

Man of Honour
OP
Not bad, however:

Shoulders ending up quite far forwards
You aren't 100% solid when you reverse the movement at the bottom

Ignore trying to get deeper for now, you will just end up doing worse reps. Consider pausing slightly at the bottom, and reaching back with your hips more so your shoulders aren't so far forward.

Associate
After feeling my left hip/groin get really tight while squatting this morning, I know my form isn't correct. I'll try and post a video if I can but I have a quick question on the weight.

I've started a new program (ice cream fitness 5x5) after going to the gym for about 5-6 months and I've started the program at lowish weights. I was squatting 42.5kg this morning and if I follow the program I should increase the weight to 45kg when I go to the gym next. As the weight is still relatively low, should I increase the weight in increments as the program suggests or drop the weight back to 40kg and stay there until I correct my form?

Man of Honour
It is entirely dependent on how you feel.

If you are worried about injury (not "z0mg I could snap by adding 2.5kg o to the bar!" but "this is uncomfortable and this feels not great...") then back the weight off to something you are comfortable with. Training solo puts a lot of emphasis on how you - yourself - feel during your session, both under the bar and between sets.

If your form is ropey, then yes: better sorted sooner than later when the weights (and potential for injury) are greater. However, a tight hip/groin is not necessarily a sign of bad form, but could be just a tight/spasming muscle due to (very l) minor tearing or lack of correct agonist/antagonist balance in strength/stability.
TL;DR:

It might not be bad form, but getting checked out (whilst getting checked out, nomsayin'?) is never a bad thing. :)

Associate
It is entirely dependent on how you feel.

If you are worried about injury (not "z0mg I could snap by adding 2.5kg o to the bar!" but "this is uncomfortable and this feels not great...") then back the weight off to something you are comfortable with. Training solo puts a lot of emphasis on how you - yourself - feel during your session, both under the bar and between sets.

If your form is ropey, then yes: better sorted sooner than later when the weights (and potential for injury) are greater. However, a tight hip/groin is not necessarily a sign of bad form, but could be just a tight/spasming muscle due to (very l) minor tearing or lack of correct agonist/antagonist balance in strength/stability.
TL;DR:

It might not be bad form, but getting checked out (whilst getting checked out, nomsayin'?) is never a bad thing. :)

Cheers, that's what I was thinking. After looking at the videos of correct form, I can see there's improvements to be made. I'll post a vid if I can record one :)

Associate
A quick question if I may :) I've been working on my deadlift form however it's been difficult as my routine only includes 1 set of 5 reps every other day. Anyway my set felt really good yesterday but this morning my traps feel like they're on fire.

Is this normal?

Man of Honour
A quick question if I may :) I've been working on my deadlift form however it's been difficult as my routine only includes 1 set of 5 reps every other day. Anyway my set felt really good yesterday but this morning my traps feel like they're on fire.

Is this normal?

The King of the Deadlift (Delvis) is correct.

Also, do three sets (assuming Stronglifts?).

Finally, your traps are hurting... because you've never used them before. The lifts probably felt great because your back, core, etc. was nice and tight and doing what it was supposed to. So good work. :)

Associate
Deads will develop traps. Just make sure you aren't shrugging them.

I'm definitely not shrugging 50kg :D

The King of the Deadlift (Delvis) is correct.

Also, do three sets (assuming Stronglifts?).

Finally, your traps are hurting... because you've never used them before. The lifts probably felt great because your back, core, etc. was nice and tight and doing what it was supposed to. So good work. :)

That's the answer I was hoping to hear :D I've been working on strengthening my core and can feel it's helped.

I'll up the deadlift sets to three - thanks both.

Soldato
So I've recently invested in a set of weights, bench and bar (130kg worth of plates + 7ft Olympic bar) which set me back £350.

With the above equipment I've been following the 5x5 stronglifts routine for beginners and its incredible. Coupled with the app, its extremely simple, has clear instructions and videos (To help clean up your lifts). I've been following it for 6 weeks and i already feel stronger, bigger and more confident.

If you are a beginner i can not recommend this routine enough. I don't know how to transition on from this routine, but I'm not there yet, so I'll worry about that later.

Associate
Evening all

I'd appreciate some comments on the below vid. Noticed a nice article posted by Somnambulist (I think) in another thread about keeping balance during a squat so I gave it a try, so in the vid I'm stood on some plates trying not to let my heels/toes touch the floor. I haven't squatted in a few months due to a back injury from football so I thought this would be the perfect time to get some advice before I start adding any weight back on. It's a high bar attempt coming from only ever really low bar squatting.

Cheers!

Associate
Hi all, hopefully someone can help with the problem I've been having with squats. I've been struggling to progress with my squat. I assumed it was due to me cutting but I now know it is a form issue. There are two issues, firstly I'm pushing the weight through the middle of my feet not the heels which has resulted in me leaning forward. Secondly after reading reiyushin's log I've realised I don't engage my glutes at all.

I found a video explaining screwing your feet into the floor which keeps the knees wide and loads the hamstrings and glutes. I tried it this morning and definitely found it easier, the weight felt lighter and went up easier.

At what point of the squat do you squeeze your glutes? I found I could only squeeze when I was about half way up which helped lockout the squat. Is this correct or should I be squeezing my glutes at the bottom of the squat?

Cheers

Man of Honour
Hi all, hopefully someone can help with the problem I've been having with squats. I've been struggling to progress with my squat. I assumed it was due to me cutting but I now know it is a form issue. There are two issues, firstly I'm pushing the weight through the middle of my feet not the heels which has resulted in me leaning forward. Secondly after reading reiyushin's log I've realised I don't engage my glutes at all.

I found a video explaining screwing your feet into the floor which keeps the knees wide and loads the hamstrings and glutes. I tried it this morning and definitely found it easier, the weight felt lighter and went up easier.

At what point of the squat do you squeeze your glutes? I found I could only squeeze when I was about half way up which helped lockout the squat. Is this correct or should I be squeezing my glutes at the bottom of the squat?

Cheers

Imagine you are sitting down and a little back, keeping your back and abs tight... As you do so, imagine pulling your knees up and out.

If you sit back a little, this keeps the tension in your glutes.

Post a video of you want something more specific. :)

Back
Top Bottom