***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
And also generally terrible. People end up using them purely for the endorphin rush they provide from use rather than gaining any actualy benefit from them

@SoliD: Why do you feel you need to experience pain in order to believe the roller is providing any benefit?

Yup - if you are not getting pain then this is possibly a good thing. Because where do you stop? I had to use a rolling pin a few months ago, but then reverted to a better training and mobility regime and weirdly all my problems disappeared. :)

Have a think about your training (cycling technique, and the fact that your legs are not as strong, balanced or mobile as you think), diet and recovery (rest is important!) and you may find you are served much better.

Soldato
@SoliD: Why do you feel you need to experience pain in order to believe the roller is providing any benefit?

Yup - if you are not getting pain then this is possibly a good thing. Because where do you stop? I had to use a rolling pin a few months ago, but then reverted to a better training and mobility regime and weirdly all my problems disappeared. :)

Have a think about your training (cycling technique, and the fact that your legs are not as strong, balanced or mobile as you think), diet and recovery (rest is important!) and you may find you are served much better.

I just assumed it should cause a little pain, whenever I do quads, calves even ITB, I get nothing nowadays, but if this is good then I'll continue in this manner.

Caporegime
It's more a case of, why are you performing these mobilisations/soft tissue work? Is there a specific reason? Is it actually helping you in the gym for specific movements etc or for other activities?

If you can roll your ITB without squinting mind, good work :D

Soldato
It's more a case of, why are you performing these mobilisations/soft tissue work? Is there a specific reason? Is it actually helping you in the gym for specific movements etc or for other activities?

If you can roll your ITB without squinting mind, good work :D

Just carry it out along with stretching after hard (Time Trials 1 hour at max effort) or longer rides really. I don't do Gym work, just want to ensure I'm cover myself off to ensure my muscles can recover/restore/build as well as they can.

ITB was horrible at first, I wouldn't say I don't do it without squinting, but certainly can roll them without wanting to cry anymore :D

Man of Honour
Just carry it out along with stretching after hard (Time Trials 1 hour at max effort) or longer rides really. I don't do Gym work, just want to ensure I'm cover myself off to ensure my muscles can recover/restore/build as well as they can.

ITB was horrible at first, I wouldn't say I don't do it without squinting, but certainly can roll them without wanting to cry anymore :D

A time trial cyclist that doesn't spend time in the gym? How interesting... All that aero and skin-right Lycra, and you're as strong as an Andrex puppy! :D ;) :)

Just kidding.

But seriously, getting some strength training - even stuff at home - will have great carryover into cycling...

Soldato
A time trial cyclist that doesn't spend time in the gym? How interesting... All that aero and skin-right Lycra, and you're as strong as an Andrex puppy! :D ;) :)

Just kidding.

But seriously, getting some strength training - even stuff at home - will have great carryover into cycling...

I do basic core exercise at home. Spend enough on my cycling. Couldn't afford gym on top! :p besides don't want too much excess weight :p

Man of Honour
Ah - it seems somebody is in need of a bit of re-education... ;)

No need to cost you anything at all, just do the following at home for 4 sets of five reps:

- Bulgarian split squats off a bed/chair, using any additional weight you need;
- Inverted rows off a dining room table
- Chin-ups off a loft hatch
- Push-ups at various angles...

You get as big as you want in the gym: eat lots and go for sets of 8-12 reps and you will pack on size... Keep the reps low and eat a bit more balanced food than normal and you will just get stronger.

Put it this way... I know several cyclists and runners (some pretty good ones, too) and they have all said that even a little bit of weight training has moved their sport up several notches and stopped knees, hips and lumbar hurting.

Try it. Stretch your horizons a little... There's a whole new world outside that door... ;) :)

Soldato
Ah - it seems somebody is in need of a bit of re-education... ;)

No need to cost you anything at all, just do the following at home for 4 sets of five reps:

- Bulgarian split squats off a bed/chair, using any additional weight you need;
- Inverted rows off a dining room table
- Chin-ups off a loft hatch
- Push-ups at various angles...

You get as big as you want in the gym: eat lots and go for sets of 8-12 reps and you will pack on size... Keep the reps low and eat a bit more balanced food than normal and you will just get stronger.

Put it this way... I know several cyclists and runners (some pretty good ones, too) and they have all said that even a little bit of weight training has moved their sport up several notches and stopped knees, hips and lumbar hurting.

Try it. Stretch your horizons a little... There's a whole new world outside that door... ;) :)

Thanks my post was a little tongue in cheek with the weight thing! :p will give those a go. Do the last 2 already and some kettle bell and chucking an old battery around but will look specifically at those. Tbh during the summer when I do no running I have pretty much no aches or pains only when I chuck in a bit of running that my legs start to feel anything but tired (just doms probably) but will give the first two a go to supplement the other stuff I do.

Always willing to try new things and improve year on year.

Man of Honour
As above.

It ends up being used purely for thepain factor, rather than for providing any real world benefit.

Can't say that I agree with that.

That said, I have a rumble roller too as I find it "hits the spots" better, but still use a pvc pipe for the larger muscle groups, and thoracic extension. I also use a hockey ball which funnily enough is not covered in foam, for some trigger point release too. It's got a time and place, but to say that is provides no benefits is not quite accurate.

Man of Honour
:confused:

I have read and the posts are not mutually exclusive. And it does not explain how it is "terrible" as you so put it - so I don't get your "point".

Anyway, the question has been answered. Mobility has more than 1 solution, and often requires more than 1 solution. And he's been provided with various solutions.

Soldato
In the last two weeks I've had two flare ups of incredibly tight lower back upon waking which I think I've tracked down to sitting on a chair at an angle for 2+ hours the day / night before. It feels like a sciatic pain but is completely gone an hour after I'm up and about

However I'm also squatting a lot and by the time it gets to the evening when I hit the gym I can do so with absolutely no issue.

Clearly the solution is not to sit poorly on a chair but it seems an odd issue to have

Man of Honour
Mmmm. If you are not used to a squatting regime like Smolov, you will have to start learning to take care of yourself. It isn't notorious just for the gains, but the fallout, too.

After every session, you should decompress:

- sloppy but light good mornings (just the bar)
- crucifix stretches
- back rolls (on your back, hug your knees and rock back and forth on your lumbar).

Your quadratic lumboris, erector spinae, etc. are working harder than normal at the moment are are susceptible to spasm as they go through a much more aggressive loading-healing cycle and bad posture will be especially problematic at this time. Hints to counter this?

- desk assessment (adenoids, please)
- get up and move around every twenty minutes-
- heat packs
- yoga every evening.

Good luck. The gains will be with you.

Always.

Back
Top Bottom