***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Associate
Imagine you are sitting down and a little back, keeping your back and abs tight... As you do so, imagine pulling your knees up and out.

If you sit back a little, this keeps the tension in your glutes.

Post a video of you want something more specific. :)

I'll post a video if I can - cheers I may not be sitting back enough then. I'll work on it on Tuesday :D

Man of Honour
I'll post a video if I can - cheers I may not be sitting back enough then. I'll work on it on Tuesday :D

It is a bit of a challenge because people squat according to their outcomes and biomechanics... Westerners/Eurasian people tend to have to sit back, whilst Asian people can get away with very little sitting back...

Associate
It is a bit of a challenge because people squat according to their outcomes and biomechanics... Westerners/Eurasian people tend to have to sit back, whilst Asian people can get away with very little sitting back...

One of the first form issues I had was I used to half squat/half a good morning so I'm probably over-compensating for that.

Man of Honour
Can I get a form check pls. I haven't lifted seriously in a while and I'm still recovering from surgery

Don't chase depth by taking your glutes out the equation: cut your depth at just below parallel because rounding out as you do at the bottom will force you forward at heavier weights and put too much shear force on your back...

Imagine trying to force your bum back as you squat: you will notice as you sink below parallel how you can get moar depth by letting your knees come forward, but you will also notice how all of a sudden your glutes and hamstrings are not longer taking the weight.

I am not saying "fold in half" as you need to keep your chest up and keep the weight over your midfoot... :)

Associate
The free-weight area was empty so I managed to record a few sets of squats. First set I noticed I was squatting way below parallel so I tried to correct it by not going too deep.

I think this was my third set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25zNLz00cCA

Can someone give me some pointers? It seems like my weight is shifting causing me to lean forward slightly - how do I correct that?

Cheers

Man of Honour
Is this any better? It feels like my glutes and hamstrings are working more

Good - the first three reps look very nice. :)

The free-weight area was empty so I managed to record a few sets of squats. First set I noticed I was squatting way below parallel so I tried to correct it by not going too deep.

I think this was my third set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25zNLz00cCA

Can someone give me some pointers? It seems like my weight is shifting causing me to lean forward slightly - how do I correct that?

Cheers

Keep your back, glutes and legs tight. If the weight is over your mid-foot, keep pulling your knees up and out whilst pushing your bum back...

Soldato
Whats everyones exercises of choice for building mass on the triceps?

Looking for some different exercises/routines for triceps tomorrow.

Seated dumbbell extensions, cable pushdowns (+ facing away) and dumbbell kickbacks (overhand -> underhand).

Key thing is making sure you use full range of movement on each rep. Go down a weight or two if you have to in order to get FRM.

Man of Honour
Video is short, but please critique my squat form! This is just a quick warm up set.

Too deep, and you undermine your bracing (notice how your bum dumps out and you lean forward in the hole)... This then means your back will be doing the work until your glutes kick back in (which will be well past the point your femurs reach a 45o angle to the floor).

Slow your descent, brace like your are fighting a battler (which you're trying to launch at somebody at range behind and above you), and keep the weight over your midfoot.

Soldato
Noted, thanks guys.

Could I potentially be a victim of having the bar too light therefore just bouncing it up and down rather than having any real battle with it? I'll up the weight and shoot a video next squat day.

Man of Honour
Noted, thanks guys.

Could I potentially be a victim of having the bar too light therefore just bouncing it up and down rather than having any real battle with it? I'll up the weight and shoot a video next squat day.

Possibly. That depends on what your 1RM/working sets are... ;)

Also, it would suggest you are not using your warmups correctly (I.e. To get the pattern/groove right before going in for the working sets).

Back
Top Bottom