• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SAPPHIRE RX 480 NITRO NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (WORLD FIRST) !!!

Associate
Can we per-order then cancel if we dislike the clock speeds?

I'm hoping for 1350 with decent overclock potential.

I'm coming from a GTX960 2GB so going to any 480 will be like night and day for me, but I'd love that little bit extra without heading into GTX980 territory.

wait for AIB cards then, especialy if you want to overclock, the reference cooler can barely handle any overclocking

Soldato
...eliminates coil whine...

...so, they admit it's a problem, they know how to fix it, but they choose not to for the mass market and people just have to roll the dice? :(

(Not a dig at you Gibbo. I'm just lamenting the days when manufacturing corners weren't cut to the point of making for a worse user experience.)

OcUK Staff
OP
...so, they admit it's a problem, they know how to fix it, but they choose not to for the mass market and people just have to roll the dice? :(

(Not a dig at you Gibbo. I'm just lamenting the days when manufacturing corners weren't cut to the point of making for a worse user experience.)

They know how to reduce it, but coil whine is inherent in this type of stuff, there is no exact cure, but steps can be taken to try and reduce/eliminate it.

But so many factors can cause it and sometimes its not the VGA cards, motherboards and power supplies can whine too.

Associate
Pre-ordered :)

I can't see other AIB's hitting that price and being better, and if the 6GB 1060 is faster I'm sure it'll be more than £250. Which is pretty much my limit.

Do all 8pin cards these days come with a dual 6pin to 8pin cable, or might I have to source one from elsewhere? My old OCZ StealthXstream 600W only has 2 x 6pin.

Associate
From a decent 290 i would still say it's a hard sale. I would be waiting on Vega if thinking about an upgrade. I like my upgrades to feel like an upgrade and an extra 20-30% won't really do that for me. For those on the tier below i think these will be a really nice upgrade.

100% same position

Associate
#SIGH It's new tech and we need a competitor how are you going to do that if you do not buy the opposite side? Nubs you are forgetting driver optimisation ;)

Soldato
#SIGH It's new tech and we need a competitor how are you going to do that if you do not buy the opposite side? Nubs you are forgetting driver optimisation ;)
Plenty of people will be rightfully concerned about how it'll play now and in the near future, and not just what it'll do in 6-12 months.

Soldato
I'm looking to give my PC a new lease of life by replacing my aging 7950 twin frozr boost edition, is this a good shout?

Soldato
The good thing is the 480 and 390/290's are all same GCN so it's unlikely that the 480 will pull away too much, making those purchases still strong for a few more years. Imo the 480 is a clear upgrade for people who still had HD7000 series cards from AMD (like me!), but not so much for those that have the newer ones.

Soldato
If those German benches are an indication of the true performance then a custom 480 hitting 1350 is going to be slightly better than my 290, and probably a good bit better in dx12, it's going to give Youwattman over clocking suite also. Now if that can also be pushed another 5% that puts tbe card around 1415mhz, 10% puts it to around 1485 which I think is going to be pretty nice, around Fury level performance?

And if it takes 6 months more for Vega this card won't devalue too much I think, so will be a good option til then.

Associate
I dont think you read my post properly.

One thing I do know and trust is when Sapphire make a card they do it right I have enough to buy the 1070 but as Raja said "hardware is less than half the issue" so that would lead to the coding and seeing as AMD are working with Microsoft it's a bit of a "no brainer" for me personally

Last edited:
Associate
This could surpass the 390x/nano in certain DX12 games with enough clock

I mean its beating the 980 in some scenarios at stock (Warhammer, Hitman) lets face it many more DX12 games are to come

QkiKiE6.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom