• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060

Soldato
Nvidia 'the way you're meant to get played'

What a joke, i may finally jump ship if the third party 480's get good reviews. Or hold out for a good deal on a cheap 970. Maybe 180ish that would be nice.
Wipe the idea of 970 off your mind, unless all the games you play are pre-EOL releases. For new games are that released after EOL, the 970 would be lucky to retain even 75% of its peak performance comparing to when it was still in its prime.

Associate
So the RX480 has 6+1 phase power VS 3+1 on the 1060, 4GB/8GB VS 3GB/6GB, larger BUS and prices start from under £200.

I imagine the Nvidia card will give a few % more performance and people will buy it. The RX480 could well perform better than the 1060 in DX12 titles and as that's the future could still be a good option for some.

Founders edition (Gouging edition) on the 1060 makes it a bit of a joke tbh. I mean the card might be fine, but the pricing is so so bad this time around from Nvidia. Pure greed?

They still got me with the FE 1080 :p

Damn you Nvidia :p

The difference will likely be akin to that of a Fury X vs a 980 Ti. I remember how you (quite literally) hyped the Fury for an entire year, only to get rid if it within a month for the superior Nvidia alternative.

I will respect your decision when you buy the big Pascal chip as soon as it lands, which you will undoubtedly do regardless of the price. I hope you show the same respect to people who choose to buy a GTX 1060. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
480X was DOA anyhow after the powergate issue, thats probably done enough to tarnish its reputation anyhow.

Even when the AIB customs arrive you will still have people incorrectly telling others that it will blow up their PC if they bring it into the same room as the PC etc...

AMD are like bumbling drunk clowns it seems at times, they go from one mishap to another, always almost getting it right, but ultimately messing up one important thing at the end and leaving everyone wondering WTF

Almost right? In what way is the 480 almost right? the power efficiency is absolutely dire, performance is lackluster, the reference blower a disaster, it burns up, lots of people reporting stability issues, 4GB cards was just a marketing gimmick, and then there is the fact that it draws massive over the PCI-E spec through the motherboard.

The 480 is a disaster like the FX5800 and 2900XT. A monumental failure

Associate
Looking at it they (480 / 1060) will be very slimier FPS/£

RX 480 being £230

GTX 1060 looks to be between 10-15% faster at probably for about £260 (around 13% more than the above)

So looking the same in terms of what you get for your £. I guess its all down to how much companies can get out of them with better cooling :D

Soldato
Almost right? In what way is the 480 almost right? the power efficiency is absolutely dire, performance is lackluster, the reference blower a disaster, it burns up, lots of people reporting stability issues, 4GB cards was just a marketing gimmick, and then there is the fact that it draws massive over the PCI-E spec through the motherboard.

The 480 is a disaster like the FX5800 and 2900XT. A monumental failure

Sure it is :D:D:D. Gibbo's sales numbers suggest other wise. They were literally flying out of the door.

Soldato
So are those aftermarket cards starting at £230(which $250 is with VAT added on top)?? If that is the case AMD is in trouble.

They won't be. Just look at the other launches 1070/1080 to see that most of the custom cards are around the FE pricing. More so with the gtx1070. I suppose if these have better availability in comparison they may be more aggressive on price.

Last edited:
Soldato
They won't be. Just look at the other launches 1070/1080 to see that most of the custom cards are around the FE pricing. More so with the gtx1070.

Oh,OK so this is going to be the same price as the AIB RX480 cards??

Meh,that means both are a good £75 more than the RX480 4GB.

Going to have to wait longer methinks. I was OK with the RX480 4GB pricing but not so much with the £50+ tax for 4GB more RAM.

At this rate I will be probably buying either the RX485 or GTX2060 next year.

Associate
OP
AMD had a golden opportunity to corner the budget market. Yet they've failed miserably. Along comes the 1060 with a meagre 15% increase and costing £60/80 more to mop the budget sector.

Soldato
Pains me to do it but I'll be picking up the 1060FE on release for £230 which aint that bad considering it's faster than the 480 and consumes a lot less power, something I'm after. FE will only be available through Nvidia.

Back
Top Bottom