• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060

Associate
You'll be lucky. More like £1.5k. They are testing the water to see how mad we, as consumers, really are. And the answer is just in: ******* googly-eyed bonkers, because we're paying their prices.

You could be right... by which I mean we don't get a 1080ti at all and instead there's just the Titan Pascal at £1.5k. I based my 1080ti estimation upon 980ti prices. They were roughly £600ish on launch. Considering the roughly 60% price increase this gen, that would put a 1080ti at £1k. Admittedly that and the Titan being at £1.5k are 'best case' scenarios.

But let's try and find something good about this launch... There's a fair few small-form factor models for this GPU. That's something positive right? Right?!?! There must be some redeeming quality?!?! Am I going mad?!?!?

You'd have to be mad to pay £300+ for 1060 when the cheapest 980ti is around £350-£370

Yeah, earlier I saw a good 380X for £150 on here, a much better buy within a price range this should have been at.

I presume that's the Gaming X? MSI are very pricey now.

There is a cheaper Gaming model available.

That time I saw a MSI Gamin 960 as the cheapest 960... must have been a dream. Heck, I must have bought my MSI Gaming 970 from imaginary-land, considering the good price I got for it.

Wish Brexit hadn't been in the way, now it only looks like another 980 with more Vram.

Even without GBP drop, price might have been about £30 less. Which isn't much better. Have you already forgotten the madness of the 1070 and 1080 launches, which occurred before the GBP went down?

It's just sad to see that 2 year old cards still deliver better perfomance and value when it used to be the other way around. Who in their right mind would buy a gtx 1060 over a fury nitro/nano/gtx 980 ti?

Good plan. After seeing this and considering the extortion that AMD Vega and the 'big' Nvidia cards might be priced at, I'm now very tempted to buy a 980ti as a temporary upgrade. Before I buy Vega/1080ti at the launch of the 1100 series, where it will inevitably get a price drop down to what it should cost.

I watched the DF review of this 1060 and they almost got it right when they mentioned that the 1060 was more of a replacement for the 970. They're damn right considering the 970 prices for these cards. Except even from a 970 it's still not worth spending the same amount of money for not that much increase. Back when I bought my 970, I asked folks on here whether I shoud go for a sub £400 980 instead. It was unanimous that the 970 was better value.

I reckon a 980ti at current prices is a better option for 970 owners who have the itch to upgrade to something.

Probably going the same way as games, vote with your wallet but there are droves who don't.

Indeed. Our fellow consumers are to blame for $60 games with micro-transactions, lazy full-priced remasters and half complete games being the norm. I've recently figured that I might get into motorbikes instead. Probably cheaper than this hobby now lol.

Ugh. I hate that I'm spouting negative crap, but unfortunately it's the cold hard truth. Though as one person mentioned, the cheapest 1060 is only a tenner above the cheapest 8GB 480. But I will remind them that the 4GB 480 is available elsewhere for the sort of price this should have been. So all hope isn't lost. Just place hopes on good custom 4GB RX 480s or 470s like one person mentioned.

Soldato
Actually console games aren't expensive, if you're prepared to swap them with other gamers.

When I had my 360 I would have about two games at any time, finish them, then swap with someone else. There are large communities doing this with console games.

Ironically, if there was no 2nd hand market, console game prices might come down. Might :p

I have an Xbone, i normally pay around £25-30 for games, I have gold membership so get a ton of discounts on games from the store, quite often some real bargains there.

Also i keep an eye on HotdealsUK app and have set up alerts, more often than not you will see some cracking deals on there for games.

Last resort is to go into CEX / Game and get trade in games etc.

Console gaming is not expensive, its only expensive if you are not prepared to shop around and just want to walk into a high street store and pickup a game.

Associate
People now also think nothing of spending electronic money, wheras back in the day you went to the shop with £300 in cash, it made you think seeing the wad of cash in your hand. Now we click a button and the spending element is almost detached from reality so it doesn't register as much as handing over a wad of cash.

Very true and a great point

Soldato
It pulls 125 watt max, expect the same overclocking potential and decent temps as the stupidly expensive 1060s.

But won't a single fan not get rid of heat slower than the dual or triple fan ones? Ergo be less overclockable than the dual and triple fans due to heat?

Correct me if I'm wrong. I know they pull the same wattage but to dissipate the heat to allow better OCing, wouldn't the single fan falter and have reduced OC ability???

Don
typical overclockers only showing Palit in stock to get rid of the less desirable brand as much as they can

Or maybe that's just what stock is actually available at the minute? Checking another supplier and they have the same manufacturers/models in stock as OcUK.

Gibbo, when will

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-32s-ms.html

Estimated to be in stock? Seems like the best 'cheap' one to

29/07/16 - estimate if you mouse over it

Caporegime
Ugh. I hate that I'm spouting negative crap, but unfortunately it's the cold hard truth. Though as one person mentioned, the cheapest 1060 is only a tenner above the cheapest 8GB 480. But I will remind them that the 4GB 480 is available elsewhere for the sort of price this should have been. So all hope isn't lost. Just place hopes on good custom 4GB RX 480s or 470s like one person mentioned.

I think it's not unrealistic that we might see prices of the 480 4GB and 8GB going up as a reaction to this launch.

Then the 470 AIB cards coming in at £200+. Perhaps the 4GB 480 starting at £230, and the 8GB 480 settling at about £260.

nVidia releasing a ~£300 1060 isn't going to make AMD lower their prices, that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom