• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060

Soldato
He asked me several questions about DX12 and followed those with "Now please tell me how Nvidia haven't Dx12 drivers ready yet?"

Where does he ask about ASync in that? Or any of those questions but feel free to think for him.

I only noticed that I forgot the word "fully" in my question, but you should have known what I meant as it was the basis of my first question to you. You claimed that Pascal was new and that it's Dx12 performance would improve. I asked this.

I don't get this? Why? Microsoft announced Dx12 over 2 years ago,Nvidia claimed that they had been in development with Microsoft for four years previous to that.

Shouldn't they have had Dx12 drivers fully ready for Pascal launch?It's not as if the underlying architecture is that much different than Maxwell.

Your reply was the following rubbish statement.

Well of course you don't, as you will only see bad when it comes to Nvidia and fantastico with AMD. No point explaining to you sadly.

So explain me to why Nvidia's drivers aren't fully ready?

You are the one who made the big deal about Maxwell having full Dx12 compatibility, you even started a thread about it.

You are also the one who also showed how NVidia have their cards operating 100% from Launch unlike AMD who takes ages to get up to speed with their cards.

Pascal has been out since May 27th, and Nvidia have had 4 drivers releases for the Pascal cards. Even if they have further game specific optimisations coming, how can Nvidia with the resources that they have still be behind in games that have been used for Dx12 benchmarks for ages now. Surely it would have been a priority for them to perform in those games?

But, I would be interested to hear your explanation. The one you were going to tell me but wouldn't because of my supposed AMD fanboy status. The reasons why Nvidia's Dx12 drivers aren't FULLY ready.

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sure thats what he meant, now at least he know what to ask.

Sorry Humbug, I forgot the word Fully in my previous post to Gregster. It wasn't about async, it was about Dx12. Just wondering why the 1060 is way behind the 480. Pascal is new? Is that a reason? So is GCN 1.4.

The 1060 is a great card and like Gibbo says if you can get one for under £250 then you have great performance at a great price. At the same price point the 1060 is a much more attractive option than the 480. But Dx12, and Vulkan I suppose, just leaves a little doubt in people's heads.

Dx12 might not have mattered much last generation, but, now, it has become important as people buying now are looking at Dx12 performance. Nvidia could have hit a home run with the 1060. Is it that Pascal just can't or that Nvidia still doesn't think Dx12 is that important yet?

Or maybe it doesn't matter at all???

Soldato
Most people who buy a 480/1060 will not upgrade each year so for me the 480 looks better as more and more dx12 games come out.

Like it has been said if you upgrade each year then dx12 will not matter so much.

Associate
Bit the bullet and pre-ordered the MSI GTX 1060. Looked like the best choice of the lot given low-price (~£238), custom cooler with twin fans, and slight overclock.

Caporegime
Sorry Humbug, I forgot the word Fully in my previous post to Gregster. It wasn't about async, it was about Dx12. Just wondering why the 1060 is way behind the 480. Pascal is new? Is that a reason? So is GCN 1.4.

The 1060 is a great card and like Gibbo says if you can get one for under £250 then you have great performance at a great price. At the same price point the 1060 is a much more attractive option than the 480. But Dx12, and Vulkan I suppose, just leaves a little doubt in people's heads.

Dx12 might not have mattered much last generation, but, now, it has become important as people buying now are looking at Dx12 performance. Nvidia could have hit a home run with the 1060. Is it that Pascal just can't or that Nvidia still doesn't think Dx12 is that important yet?

Or maybe it doesn't matter at all???

Why do think there should be any performance difference between DX12 and DX11?

There seems to be a big misunderstanding about what DX12 is. Fundamentally DX12 will reduce CPU bottlenecks, if you don't have a CPU bottleneck because you have a decent CPU and decently optimized GPU drivers then you wont see a big improvement with DX12.

A large delta between DX11 and DX12 means either you have a weak CPU, the game is poorly optimized, the drivers are poorly optimized or the GPU is bottleneck and failing to reach full utilization.

To be more precise, a Big delta between DX11 and DX12 indicates the setup has a problem with DX 11. A Small delta between DX11 and 12 means that the DX11 setup is working very well and isn't being bottle-necked by the CPU.

Associate
Why do think there should be any performance difference between DX12 and DX11?

There seems to be a big misunderstanding about what DX12 is. Fundamentally DX12 will reduce CPU bottlenecks, if you don't have a CPU bottleneck because you have a decent CPU and decently optimized GPU drivers then you wont see a big improvement with DX12.

A large delta between DX11 and DX12 means either you have a weak CPU, the game is poorly optimized, the drivers are poorly optimized or the GPU is bottleneck and failing to reach full utilization.

To be more precise, a Big delta between DX11 and DX12 indicates the setup has a problem with DX 11. A Small delta between DX11 and 12 means that the DX11 setup is working very well and isn't being bottle-necked by the CPU.
Can you explain why pascal cards see a boost from async/DX12 then? We know nVidia have good DX11 drivers, so that's not it.

Back
Top Bottom