• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060

Caporegime
I am confused? I asked a question, which I am still waiting on answer for.

I answered (as best I could) but Humbug insisted you meant this and that and the goalposts got moved, so indeed you are quite correct. I can only tell you that yes, Nvidia can indeed run DX12 as far as Pascal and Maxwell goes. Not sure what else I can say really, as that is all I know.

Caporegime
Where did I mention dx11?

It is a good question and in my experience, there is actually a performance hit with DX12 in ROTTR and Hitman, I do know that causing the CPU to bottleneck (in ROTTR) DX12 starts winning over DX11 but if you have a decent CPU, it can be a worse API. I am sure when devs get to grips with it fully, it will start to show its worth. AMD do tend to show more performance because of the dx11 performance.

Associate
the fans shut are off until it gets to 50c but I manually set them in afterburner to about 50% and pretty quiet,fan speeds are around 1600rpm

Last edited:

DPB

DPB

Associate
the fans shut are off until it gets to 50c but I manually set them in afterburner to about 50% and pretty quiet,fan speeds are around 1600rpm

Thanks, that sounds like a good card then. It's nice that even the cheaper models now have the fans turned off when idle.

Associate
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/nvidia_gtx_1060_founders_edition_review/9

Here's one game where a single GTX 1080 doesn't even seem to be enough at 4K:
15103831796l.jpg

DHR

DHR

Soldato
So cancelled my preorder of the x480 to pick up the OC MSI model at £11 less, now thinking I may have backed the wrong pony if this is to last me for a couple of not a few years! I'm starting to recall why I turned my back on PC gaming now.

Soldato
So cancelled my preorder of the x480 to pick up the OC MSI model at £11 less, now thinking I may have backed the wrong pony if this is to last me for a couple of not a few years! I'm starting to recall why I turned my back on PC gaming now.

Well my experience of the GTX660 and GTX960 is that they were perfectly competent but the AMD equivalents,ie, HD7870 and R9 380 seemed to have extra longevity. I suspect the same will be with the GTX1060 maybe as time progresses(say give it a year or so). Pascal was a relatively late addition to the roadmap - it was basically Maxwell to Volta,and Pascal is more like a super-Maxwell(like Polaris is a super-GCN1.2) with most of their relative strengths and weaknesses.

OTH,you are still doing better than console gamers for now!! :p

Associate
I really like this guys videos. He really does speak some common sense when it comes to this stuff.

AdoredTV.

A gift to AMD fans everywhere. Look at the comments section of that youtube video lmao. Fanboys whining about every review site being 'biased' for daring to show the 1060 on top.

AMD fans love a good conspiracy.

Associate
AdoredTV.

A gift to AMD fans everywhere. Look at the comments section of that youtube video lmao. Fanboys whining about every review site being 'biased' for daring to show the 1060 on top.

AMD fans love a good conspiracy.

Don't have the time or care for fanboys but I think he is on to something with a lot of sites refusing to use the 480 vs the 1060 with Vulkan in Doom. Nothing wrong with shaming a reviewing suite testing an NVIDIA vs AMD card with over 50% Gameworks games either.

If the consumer gets to see a different insight to the very wide and questionable spread of results the websites show I think that's a good thing. We are spending our own money so something other than the generic conclusions they make is welcomed.

I'm glad he pointed out that while the 1060 has a slight lead now, if you're the type to keep your card for years, the 480 will edge past in the latest API's. It doesn't do me any favours pretending otherwise as NVIDIA don't give me or anyone else here jack, so this fanboy crap is completely pointless.

Last edited:
Associate
https://youtu.be/no_NBTivfgY?t=5m19s

Very helpful section in this jayztwocents video showing how cool that short EVGA Superclocked runs even with just 1 fan. It's surprising. Yes, he has pitched it against a reference 480, but 63 degrees under load on the SC card is impressive. The non SC version probably runs similarly or cooler.

After dealing with such a hot AMD card for a couple of years, heat is a big factor in my next purchase. I think I'd buy one of those short EVGA 1060s out of all the 1060s and 480s after weighing up all the options.

Associate

Don't have the time or care for fanboys but I think he is on to something with a lot of sites refusing to use the 480 vs the 1060 with Vulkan in Doom. Nothing wrong with shaming a reviewing suite testing an NVIDIA vs AMD card with over 50% Gameworks games either.

If the consumer gets to see a different insight to the very wide and questionable spread of results the websites show I think that's a good thing. We are spending our own money so something other than the generic conclusions they make is welcomed.

I'm glad he pointed out that while the 1060 has a slight lead now, if you're the type to keep your card for years, the 480 will edge past in the latest API's. It doesn't do me any favours pretending otherwise as NVIDIA don't give me or anyone else here jack, so this fanboy crap is completely pointless.

If only all those AMD conspiracy theorists in the comments section of that video would heed your words of wisdom.

But for what it's worth, I agree his review provides important insight that's missed in other reviews.

Back
Top Bottom