*** The 2016 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Dumbell chest press neutral grip (struggling to get above 36kg with these, but hoping the other chest exercises will help)
Barbell chest press
Decline chest press
Incline chest press
Dumbell fly

Yup, chest day. Shoulder feels good today, rotation exercises are definitely working, but have lost a lot of chest strength in the meantime.

Well this routine is working for me. Moved up to 38kg dumbells chest press today and they felt very stable too. Not having a spot is proving the most challenging aspect of chest day though at the moment. My shoulder is still holding up well too. Whilst I am keep rotation exercises light I do feel stronger doing them.

I am also finally able to push incline press again and it isn't irritating my shoulder like it used to.

Associate
Whenever I squat and get to parallel a tendon behind my knee on the outside, I think its could be the hamstring tendon, sort of pops out. It has never caused me any pain in a few years of squatting.

Do you guys think it is worth seeing a physio or should I just smash the area with foam rolling and stretches?

Been going to a physio for several weeks and it still happens, how long is it likely to take to fix? Is it even a problem if it causes me no pain?

Soldato
I do enjoy watching people squat at the gym for some laughs, has anyone ever spoke to somebody barely getting two digits degrees of depth to give them some advice?

I once came and grabbed a bar off a lad who nearly did himself serious injury (had two plates one side and one the other). Asked him what he was playing at and said his left leg was weaker than his right so was making it as strong as his right. *face palm*.

A lot of people pull me up on squat depth until I show how my ankles don't flex like that and at the bottom I actually go below parallel which is pretty much my depth.

Have seen some stupid things done on a squat rack mind and I'm not talking about using it for curling either.

Soldato
Went for week 2 of the reiyushin DL plan using new PB numbers. Needed a lot of time but got through it. 3 x 3 @ 140 was a real test for me, but by the third set it was starting to feel decent! Hamstrings are going to be burning tomorrow morning!

Man of Honour
I do enjoy watching people squat at the gym for some laughs, has anyone ever spoke to somebody barely getting two digits degrees of depth to give them some advice?

No, because everybody has their own battles to fight and the chances are you - as a casual observer - don't know about any of them. :)

You would have pulled me up six months ago for squatting like a noob because I had damage my hip socket and was keeping my legs moving by quarter-squatting. ;)

I can now squat to depth as I need because I spent six months squatting like an American powerlifter. But thanks for your offer of advice: I would have happily inserted a chalked barbell into you for not having a clue. ;) :D

Associate
Guys im after a bit of advice....

I basically work a graveyard shift, now ive been doing this for a year now the job its self is not very stressful or heavy, basically admin rubbish with a bit of running around screaming at useless people lol!

But i've noticed now recently more than before my 'gains' are very very very slow.

Now my diet is very consistent, i eat what everyone else eats, chicken, rice, sweet potato, pasta, tuna, eggs, fruits and veg, lean beef, turkey and fish. I prepare all my meals i cook for 2 days at a time as food taste like ass after being in tuppaware for 3-4 days! I have one cheat meal on a Saturday evening, i dont do fizzy drinks at all and as im allergic to nuts i stay away from chocolate sweets and all that other rubbish.

I train very hard like i never go in half hearted i do a 4 day split with a cardio day in the middle just to break up my week.

I've tried eating more and less in case my diet was off and its not made a slight bit of difference.

Im wondering if the whole graveyard shift is finally showing its effect and is holding me back, i mean i sleep 6-7 hours a day i dont feel like crap when i wake up i do feel rested and im not tired throughout the night or anything.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Man of Honour
Less cardio; more food and sleep.

A graveyard shift will keep you pumped full of cortisol which will kill your gains... So you either need a new job and/or more food and rest.

Soldato
There's no way your weight wouldn't increase if you Up'd your calories sufficiently. If you're neither gaining or losing weight, increase by 300 cals a day. If that doesn't work, bump it up by a further 200. Repeat until swole.

Soldato
No, because everybody has their own battles to fight and the chances are you - as a casual observer - don't know about any of them. :)

You would have pulled me up six months ago for squatting like a noob because I had damage my hip socket and was keeping my legs moving by quarter-squatting. ;)

I can now squat to depth as I need because I spent six months squatting like an American powerlifter. But thanks for your offer of advice: I would have happily inserted a chalked barbell into you for not having a clue. ;) :D

Yeah could be that, but it would see odd that both the guys have the same injury. :p

Associate
I'm going to give reiyushin's deadlift program a go starting from tomorrow. Week 2 looks mental! What sort of warmup are people doing before the working sets?

Associate
Less cardio; more food and sleep.

A graveyard shift will keep you pumped full of cortisol which will kill your gains... So you either need a new job and/or more food and rest.

There's no way your weight wouldn't increase if you Up'd your calories sufficiently. If you're neither gaining or losing weight, increase by 300 cals a day. If that doesn't work, bump it up by a further 200. Repeat until swole.

Noted....ill make changes, not sure its food tbh!

Associate
Mini brotein containers peeps - what do people do if you want to take a portion or two of powder with you? I don't like putting some directly into the shaker, i always seem to get a little minging crust of leftover powder in the bottom if I do and it seems like there's too much potential for spillage. Mini tupperware? I'm after something cheap but still enough to carry 3-4 scoops so ~100g

Associate
Mini brotein containers peeps - what do people do if you want to take a portion or two of powder with you? I don't like putting some directly into the shaker, i always seem to get a little minging crust of leftover powder in the bottom if I do and it seems like there's too much potential for spillage. Mini tupperware? I'm after something cheap but still enough to carry 3-4 scoops so ~100g

This was on kickstarted a few years ago and works quite well. Otherwise some shakers have a separate screw on portion on the bottom of the shaker where you can stash some additional brotein.

Soldato
It is glorious :D if it's a lifetime belt then that's a fine pricetag if it's not then it's a rip off!

The oiled leather seems super nice and I think the mechanism on the belt is one of those 'why didn't anyone do this already?' moments, but I did think the actual lever itself seemed a bit... plasticy? It's aluminium though? For £160 I'd like a titanium lever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom