Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Associate
Anyone else had persistnt squeaking with their ST? It seems to be a rotational squeak and squeaks faster when I go faster. Sounds like it's front axle but can't be sure of what side, seems to go away when I brake. It's not a bearing as it's been going on for the best part of a year now and hasn't got any worse.

It's really hacking me off at the moment.

Associate
I had warped discs on the front so recently got new discs and pads for the fronts but havent't touched the rears at all. Haven't touched front calipers either.

Would it be likely to be a rear pad/caliper then? Had a quick look on Ebay and calipers are pricy so hesistant to start replacing them if that's not the problem!

Soldato
OP
If it's sticking ever so slightly and applying light pressure on the pads then it's possible. Pull the handbrake (not too hard!) whilst it does it and see if it changes.

The Pagid refurb/exchange calipers from ECP were about £65 each when I did mine.

Associate
So, the springs i bought from ecp were for the non st mondeo, had massive wheel arch gap and the car was creaking like mad.

After getting part numbers from ford dealer, contacted ecp and they said "yeah its wrong springs and we dont do st220 springs".... Eugh.

Jacked the car yesterday and put the old springs back on and got a refund for those other springs.

Thinking to save hassle ill just buy oem springs from ford, pfft they wanted nearly £200 trade price for 2 springs. Sod that!.

So atm i have new shocks on the back but my standard springs.

I didnt want to go this route but it looks like i'm going to stick either eibach or h&r springs on.

I'm leaning more towards h&r's as they are apparently slightly better on track and since i track my st, might as well go with them, but on the other hand, everyone who has stuck eibach on have praised them.

Also, for anyone who has went this route, did you need to put spacers on?, if so what size?.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
ECP suck. I would say at least 50% of the stuff I've bought from them over the years has either been a poor fit or just plain wrong. I just tend to buy genuine stuff for the most part nowadays. The potential extra cost isn't really a bother, it's not like I'm buying parts often.

Associate
IMG_7777.jpg

dat wheel arch gap man

Associate
dat wheel arch gap man

Looks just like mine, and I have been wondering if its been wrong for a while, this confirms it. Guess they stuck standard springs on when the previous owner had the rear end done :(

Edit - Anyone know the FINIS / part number for standard ST220 rear springs ?

Last edited:
Associate
Ford part number is 1383778 and the code is red red violet, even tho my old springs are red red orange, after a long conversation with the guy at ford, red red violet is the correct one.

Associate
hose.jpg

eugh so this bugger has split on my car. easy fix but did my head in trying to find the source of my engine running lean!.

going to order the part next week.

i'm just glad the search is finally over!.

the part number is 2S7E-6C658-BA.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really common issue if you look back through this thread, I've been there too.

Most people will say you need to take the manifold off, but if you're willing to well and truly shove your arm in, you can do it in seconds without removing anything.

Back
Top Bottom