Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Associate
Really easy and quick to replace, I think when I did it the only thing I removed was this bit -

pipepzsen.png

To give me room to put my hand in there, and if I remember right my left arm under the throttle body to hold it at the connection and then pull it out. Definitely don't need the manifold off (sod that, its enough work as it is).

Associate
IMG_7913.jpg

came off no bother, just took the engine cover off, mine is leaking from the top corner. you can see where its wet off where I've used water to leak test it.

looks like ill be popping in ford tomorrow.

can anyone guesitmate me a price? ebay want £42 which is shocking!.

Last edited:
Soldato
One of my front bumper washer spray covers disappeared a while ago. I decided to look up the cost of replacing one along with the roof rack blanks (one of those disappeared too...).

£15 for one washer cover and it only comes in white >.> Same for the jacking point bit which also disappeared... Only white!

Bet some little so and so decided to help himself to mine because he lost his or something!

Soldato
My 220 is starting to sound a bit off. Engine noise tap-tap-tap in the background (it's not a diesel!) instead of smooth "vrrrrm". Know what I mean? Is it just getting old (>120k miles), or is there something that can be improved?

Soldato
OP
One of my front bumper washer spray covers disappeared a while ago. I decided to look up the cost of replacing one along with the roof rack blanks (one of those disappeared too...).

I couldn't tell you how many of these I bought for mine over the years. I bought a can of Ford Machine Silver aerosol and used most of it up just painting new washer covers!

My 220 is starting to sound a bit off. Engine noise tap-tap-tap in the background (it's not a diesel!) instead of smooth "vrrrrm". Know what I mean? Is it just getting old (>120k miles), or is there something that can be improved?

I do hope this isn't the dreaded big end bearing failure. Have you been doing oil changes on time and keeping an eye on the level?

Soldato
Oil changes have been ~ 18 monthly 8-10k miles for last couple of services. Otherwise yearly before.

What's this 'big end bearing' all about? Sounds ominous :(

And yes, I do check oil levels. A few months ago I thought I had a leak... needed to keep topping up. Actually it was the coolant that was leaking. After fixing the coolant leak the oil level stabilised.

Last edited:
Associate
Trying to determine whether mine is drinking oil or something else is going on. The dipstick barely registers anything on it but a long slither half the width of the stick on the back, but nothing on the front. No oil leaks (in fact its bone dry under the engine), and haven't seen any smoke coming out of the exhaust.

I did an oil change about 6 weeks ago, dipstick shown very clear oil up to nearly the max mark, but now its back to what its like before barely registering anything. Various suggestions online about this, like the PCV valve causing the problem (which I've replaced anyway) and 1 poster even said he bought a new dipstick and that sorted it (???).

Anybody ever had this ? Cars running sweetly, just concerned.

Soldato
guys, just bought myself a mk4 mondeo tit x 2.3 auto.

it has the blaupunkt nx radio.

im having problems trying to play any kind of music from my phone.

1st im trying to stream with bluetooth from my galaxy s7 but im pretty sure i dont have that function. i do have aux in and usb with bluetooth handsfree.

i tried usb with it but no joy. i then tried an iphone 6 via usb. i get music content displayed on the radio and converse but no sound.

RtbtYDV.jpg

ive tried google but most just have issues with the bluetooth streaming.

any thoughts before i resort to aux

Soldato
OP
guys, just bought myself a mk4 mondeo tit x 2.3 auto.

it has the blaupunkt nx radio.

im having problems trying to play any kind of music from my phone.

1st im trying to stream with bluetooth from my galaxy s7 but im pretty sure i dont have that function. i do have aux in and usb with bluetooth handsfree.

i tried usb with it but no joy. i then tried an iphone 6 via usb. i get music content displayed on the radio and converse but no sound.

RtbtYDV.jpg

ive tried google but most just have issues with the bluetooth streaming.

any thoughts before i resort to aux

You need a Bluetooth/USB module from 2010 onwards to support Bluetooth streaming. You also need to plug the aux cable in as well as USB to iPhone / iPod in order to get sound. This was fixed in the latest Bluetooth/USB module software update (google it).

Soldato
Trying to determine whether mine is drinking oil or something else is going on. The dipstick barely registers anything on it but a long slither half the width of the stick on the back, but nothing on the front. No oil leaks (in fact its bone dry under the engine), and haven't seen any smoke coming out of the exhaust.

I did an oil change about 6 weeks ago, dipstick shown very clear oil up to nearly the max mark, but now its back to what its like before barely registering anything. Various suggestions online about this, like the PCV valve causing the problem (which I've replaced anyway) and 1 poster even said he bought a new dipstick and that sorted it (???).

Anybody ever had this ? Cars running sweetly, just concerned.
How many miles do you do?
My ST220 drank oil like a fish. It was a very well looked after 1 former owner example but it had no service history but I took a chance. I do 1000 miles per month commuting and despite a full service when i purchased I had to top the oil up every month for the 12 months I owned it as it would go below minimum. It's normally said when a car starts drinking oil and has no leaks the engine is not it good shape so I sold it.
I put it down to being a big 3.0 V6 but in comparison my current Focus ST which has more power has not needed one drop of oil since its service in January despite still doing 1k a month in mileage.

Associate
Probably about 700-800 a month mileage, most of that includes heavy traffic ...... and me giving it a good toot when able to. I've started thinking for a while now about selling mine, mainly because I splooge £200 a month on fuel, plus a whole bunch of other niggly things (like morons unable to avoid dinking my car). Don't think I will ever love another cars comfy seats though :(

Soldato
U could try a new dipstick and top the oil up then just check weekly on what level it is at. As I say mine over the course of a month would go from max to below minimum which as other owners will tell you means there's no doubt a problem somewhere as it shouldn't need oil that often. Be careful not to let it drop to low!
If you decide to get rid you will no doubt find it near impossible to replace the 220's all round package and value for money. I still miss mine now it's the only car I've regretted selling. :(

Associate
mine drinks oil and I keep mine in tip top condition. but it doesn't drink like a fish.

I do about 600 miles a month and use maybe 1 Littre every 6 months which I think is pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom