Poll: ** The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Thread **

Which colour iPhone 7 or 7 Plus are you going for?

• Jet Black (gloss)

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • Black

Votes: 207 31.8%
  • Silver

Votes: 30 4.6%
  • Gold

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Rose Gold

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • I wanted one, but the lack of headphone jack is a deal breaker

Votes: 76 11.7%
  • I'm not buying one

Votes: 236 36.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
Guys just to clarify a couple of things as I'm still trying to make a decision. Basically I want to buy the 7/7 Plus but will also want to buy next years phone if the rumours are true. From what people have said I will be worse off with the upgrade program, can someone explain this please?

Secondly I would also look to get Applecare whether I buy the phone outright or on upgrade. As it's two years can this be carried over to the new iphone next year? Or will I lose a years worth of cover?

Soldato
I don't get the issue, Apple want to lock you in to upgrading every year. You take the upgrade option then you can either upgrade next year (same monthly costs) but you hand back the 7. Or you don't upgrade the phone and finish the monthly payments (20 months) total to own the phone outright.

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess the issue is you're effectively writing off about £300 a year if you keep upgrading? I get that you'd have depreciation if you bought and then sold again but I don't think it would be that steep if you kept it in one piece?

Soldato
I guess the issue is you're effectively writing off about £300 a year if you keep upgrading? I get that you'd have depreciation if you bought and then sold again but I don't think it would be that steep if you kept it in one piece?

I think there is additional value with apple care thrown in for the same cost.

Soldato
I think there is additional value with apple care thrown in for the same cost.

Yeah I guess, to be honest I didn't pay too much attention to it as I hate having direct debits and credit but I'm sure it works out ok.

Either way I know there's a lot of hand wringing about the price and the best deal and all that but in the grand scheme of things it's not that much money*, you're probably talking a delta of £50-100 between buying outright and the upgrade scheme.

*full disclosure, I have a work sim so I don't pay for my line! Some of the "deals" some colleagues were doing yesterday seemed insane to me, since when was £60-70 a month a thing?! Its definitely cheaper in the long run to buy sim free and do sim only.. although convincing my GF of that last year was a struggle lol.

Soldato
No I'm pretty sure it's device specific? I've seen stuff sold with apple care.

I'm sure I remember Applecare being £60 a few years ago but now it's £120. Have they moved from 1 year to 2 year or something? If you are buying this with a view to upgrading next year then surely you are losing £60? Which makes the upgrade program look more appealing..

Associate
I'm sure I remember Applecare being £60 a few years ago but now it's £120. Have they moved from 1 year to 2 year or something? If you are buying this with a view to upgrading next year then surely you are losing £60? Which makes the upgrade program look more appealing..

I think the change is that now for broken screen you pay only 25£ (not like before full repair price 79 or something).

Associate
Great video from MKBHD. However, I am now going to cancel my Jet Black due to the micro starches you can clearly see in his review on the demo unit. They would have been pristine before the preview and within an hour they have micro starches thus, it's extra prone and will look terrible after a couple of weeks use without protection. What's the point in a case when it's so stunning! Or even a rear plastic cover.

Hopefully, cancelling my JB will free it up for someone else!

Soldato
Ordered exact same phone and plan for £149.99 up front and £52.79 a month :D

Yeah I had the option to do that with NHS discounts. Only works out £20 more expensive over 12 months. I'd rather keep the £150 in my pocket right now. :p

EDIT: Also remembered I would have to pee about setting up a new line for it with EE, as can only do it online. Then switching my number to another network, then back again etc... As can't switch from same network and keep number. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't think this has been posted, MKBHD with some decent footage as always:

I remember watching this video the other day.

It's watching this that switched me from jet black to matt black.

You can see just how much of a finger print magnet the jet black is, plus what a bugger the scratches will be.

The reviewer was not impressed! LOL

Much better in matt black, no wonder it's the one that sells out the most.

Last edited:
Associate
I've now given up on getting a 7+ until at least October, if not November. O2 are quoting 6 weeks or more now for pretty much every model, only the 256Gb silver is better at around 2 weeks.

I was set on the 128Gb black, but the more I think about it the silver would be a good change, and actually going for a 256Gb would remove any chance of running out of storage and allow me to put all kinds of stuff on the phone that I don't now (documents, videos, etc.). Hmmm.

Associate
I remember watching this video the other day.

It's watching this that switched me from jet black to matt black.

You can see just how much of a finger print magnet the jet black is, plus what a bugger the scratches will be.

The reviewer was not impressed! LOL

Much better in matt black, no wonder it's the one that sells out the most.

Exactly my logic too. I've just cancelled and will stick to my MB. You can even see a couple of scratches in the light reflection. I can live with finger prints, but not the scratches on such high end device.

Associate
Well. On iPhone 6 64GB here and, well, really REALLY disappointed in this. Was at least expecting (hoping perhaps) for an increased resolution, but still got the 326 ppi of a 6 years old Iphone 4 (June 2010). Lack of an headphone socket will(IMO) put off "mainstream" buyers for this device. Who wants to ditch their £200 Bose cans for these air pods? (I have £200 Bose cans)

This phone is perhaps what I'd expect from a 6s last year, not a new 2016 iPhone 7. Should be named iPhone 6.5S:)

Will be interesting to see how sales go, and if not well, perhaps a u-turn on the 7S next year. And a new, improved resolution. Oh, and a can socket!

Last edited:
Soldato
Well. On iPhone 6 64GB here and, well, really REALLY disappointed in this. Was at least expecting (hoping perhaps) for an increased resolution, but still got the 326 ppi of a 6 years old Iphone 4 (June 2010). Lack of an headphone socket will(IMO) put off "mainstream" buyers for this device. Who wants to ditch their £200 Bose cans for these air pods? (I have £200 Bose cans)

This phone is perhaps what I'd expect from a 6s last year, not a new 2016 iPhone 7. Should be named iPhone 6.5S:)

Will be interesting to see how sales go, and if not well, perhaps a u-turn on the 7S next year. And a new, improved resolution. Oh, and a can socket!

I think they are using this year to introduce some incremental changes before next year. If the rumors are true, next years phone could be pretty impressive :)

Back
Top Bottom