Sky Fibre Optic

Soldato
I'm just looking at moving in to a property with a Sky line already. I managed to get the details to the online login as it currently has ADSL and says that Sky fibre is available but only to 40Mb, BT checker for the area indicates 80Mb should be available.

Do I need to call them to double check this or get a faster speed?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Associate
Hi all,

We just moved, Installed & activated Sky fibre max 3 days ago my package on broadband should be 75meg.
At the present moment max download is 20~25 meg.
It stated that it takes first 10 days to settle.
Is this normal or should I call wait or call sky?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
As it says the speed it 'up to' 75meg. To get 75meg you have to be very close to the street cabinet. The further you are away the slower it will be.

Did Sky tell you that you'd be getting 75meg? You can use the BT checker here https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ to see what the expected connection should be. Use your address/postcode if it doesn't recognise your Sky phone number.

If you're line really is underperforming that badly it's worth using the test socket. It's a basic error checking step.

If that doesn't help report it. There isn't a 10 day learning period on FTTC so there's no point waiting.

(Actually there is a period of training, but the connection will start high and keep dropping until it gets stable.)

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks bremen,

Sky did say I will be getting 35 to 45 after I purchase the package but I only getting 25max on a good day.

I just use the dslchecker link result are:

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

ADSL Max Up to 4 -- 2.5 to 7 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

Associate
Speedtest is crap. My line syncs at 80Mbps but only get 25-30 from speedtest.net

What is the sync speed in your sky hub page?

Is this what you looking for.

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 27817 kbps 7235 kbps
Line Attenuation 22.6 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 6.3 dB 5.5 dB

Is it good or bad?

Btw.............First time on adsl coming virgin.

Associate
FYI everything sky quotes you goes right out the window the minute you sign up. Same with BT. If you don't get anywhere near the speeds they blame your area.

Associate
Yes, ninjah. That's bad. You should double check this page

https://secure.sky.com/my-broadband

and see what it says is your download speed range. You're on about 25Mbps there.

I tried the link and its estimated 33-47 mbps but on my router statisics tested at:-

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 27817 kbps 7235 kbps
Line Attenuation 22.6 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 6.1 dB 5.5 dB

PS........I think I will call them tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom