Sky Fibre Optic

Soldato
I thought I had to use a filter? The plug doesn't fit the socket otherwise :confused:

Just use the first part of the filter wire..so the bit that plugs from the filter to the socket. Connect the bit that fits the filter into your modem directly. Of course this does mean you won't be able to use your phone.

People say that restarting the router will eventually slow down the connection although having restarted my router at least 25 times in the last few days this does not seem to be the case.

Associate
The filter I have looks like this:

2j65wd0.jpg

So I'm not sure that's an option? I'll have a look and see if I have any others.

I don't have a home phone anyway so at least that's not a problem :)

Soldato
The filter I have looks like this:

So I'm not sure that's an option? I'll have a look and see if I have any others.

I don't have a home phone anyway so at least that's not a problem :)

What you need is one of these and plug directly into the test socket (modem to test socket).

Soldato
What do you sync at and what's your max attainable?

As above:

Sync directly at test socket without filter 49mbps - that is the max BT predicts.

Current sync with filter 41 mbps....hence switching to Infinity 1 - lets see if the smart hub is any better than the SR102.

Soldato
So decided to take sky up on the half price fibre max, £27.40 a month, so leaving BT. The process seems perfect now, gone are the days where you needed a MAC number. When did that change?

Soldato
Well was going to switch to BT but they offered me 12 months free line rental so I'll stick with Sky, service has been fine and works out cheaper than the BT offer after cashback.

Perhaps I should have asked for the new hub, might of been a bit cheeky :D

Associate
Looking for some advice/guidance.

Currently building a 7 bedroom bungalow that will be finished soon. I have Sky fibre at my current address and will be looking for broadband for the new house.

I'd like sky multiroom 3 or 4 rooms and sky fibre max. Due to the size of the house 4 access points are being fitted. What I'd like to know is would I be able to use a router of my own choosing (no budget) or would Sky insist on the Sky Q hardware and would a different router impact on how Sky multiroom works? Or can anyone tell me who I'd need to speak to at sky for clarification.

Hope that's clear, thanks in advance for any advise.

Best

Wulf

Soldato
Each time you unplug it you are risking DLM cutting in and slowing your line down even more.

As long as you cleanly switch your modem/router off - so use the power button, this shouldn't happen.
Everything supports "last gasp" so the signal sent is a "I've switched off, please don't let DLM cut in".

Associate
My connection had got even slower lately (down to 5Mbps) so I reported a fault to Sky and they sent BT Openreach to look at it. They have been 3 times this week but instead of fixing it they have left it completely broken. :mad:

I called Sky back yesterday and they said the case had been closed and the soonest they could get someone out again would be Monday. :(:(:(

Caporegime
Do Sky use the same network as BT for fibre?

I currently get nearly 58Mbps with BT and just checked Sky speeds and they said it would be around 40Mbps, seems a bit of a difference.

Broadband gets hammered with console updates/games/YouTube streaming all at the same time.

V F

V F

Soldato
Don't think so as they have their own network and gear in the exchanges? Just a shame they have to rely on Openreach.

I think Sky really ups the interleaving though.

Back
Top Bottom