Sky Fibre Optic

Caporegime
I tried the link and its estimated 33-47 mbps but on my router statisics tested at:-

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 27817 kbps 7235 kbps
Line Attenuation 22.6 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 6.1 dB 5.5 dB

PS........I think I will call them tomorrow.

If your Estimated Access Line Speed (EALS) is 33-47 you really should have been talked OUT of taking Fibre max. It's clearly not a suitable product for you.

Max will be available to buy on sky.com on Tuesday, not Monday.

Associate
If your Estimated Access Line Speed (EALS) is 33-47 you really should have been talked OUT of taking Fibre max. It's clearly not a suitable product for you.

Max will be available to buy on sky.com on Tuesday, not Monday.

I've already purchase the sky max which was activate on the 21st september lets see what happen after tuesday.

Associate
The highest is 79999 so it's a bit odd you're not getting that considering how short your line is.

Checked my router again tonight... That's more like it :)

10fwcxe.png

Associate
I tried the link and its estimated 33-47 mbps but on my router statisics tested at:-

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 27817 kbps 7235 kbps
Line Attenuation 22.6 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 6.1 dB 5.5 dB

PS........I think I will call them tomorrow.

You're doing better than me:

Modem Status Connected
Traffic Type:pTM
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):1181
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):22513

Coming from a Virgin 200Mbps connection it seems sooo slow. They had only estimated 25-35Mbps to be fair but I had hoped it would be at the top end of that range.

Associate
Well I upgraded to fibre max on sunday and am waiting for activation and new router. Hopefully it'll all be activated today or tomorrow.

Currently on the fibre unlimited and down speed sync is 39998 and upload is 6326 so I'm hoping for more on both, but I think down might top out around 50-55 at best. Not bothered as package I got has saved me money each month over the fibre unlimited.

Soldato
Just called Sky to cancel my fibre unlimited and switch to BT infinity 1. After much negotiation they have dropped my TV charges, given me £40 credit and dropped my Phone charges. Also they have upgraded me to Sky Max for £15/m - overall a cost neutral move and no hassle of changing to BT.

Unfortunately my rented property seems to be quite far from the exchange with an estimated 31 Mbps - 49 Mbps. I am currently getting the full 40/10 on fibre unlimited.

How long does it take for the profile to change on the hub?

I was told my black Sky SR102 will be able to handle Max fine and no need to change modems.

The wait begins!

Soldato
SR102's handle the full package no bother at all. You would see a change in a day or two max. I'm the same as you and dropped the package for the lower speed as it wasn't worth the extra at the time, even with negotiating.

Never had a problem with Sky mind. BT on the other hand

Soldato
SR102's handle the full package no bother at all. You would see a change in a day or two max. I'm the same as you and dropped the package for the lower speed as it wasn't worth the extra at the time, even with negotiating.

Never had a problem with Sky mind. BT on the other hand

Well I have 31 days to try it out, if it doesn't work back on to the old package. Was tempted by Virgin 200 but then went into the other thread and soon realised it would be a backwards step!

EDIT- Also ordered an ADSL faceplate to get rid of the microfilter. Tried the modem directly on the master socket and Noise was significantly better!

Last edited:
Soldato
Well it's been two days...sky order tracking says they are processing it..no change to speed profile :(

Hope it doesn't take the whole 2 weeks or more!

Soldato
It won't. Mine updated within three days.

Good call, updated last night!

Unfortunately speeds - this is the best I have managed with the modem connected directly to the test socket without a filter (with filter it is a seriously poor 41Mbps):

ihChmjG.png

BT did suggest 49 Mbps was the maximum to be expected...so not sure it is worth staying on Max or switching back to 40/10!

Associate
My upstream link speed is really bad compared to others I've seen on this thread. Is it worth complaining about? I'm only getting around 1Mbps up :(

Soldato
My upstream link speed is really bad compared to others I've seen on this thread. Is it worth complaining about? I'm only getting around 1Mbps up :(

What are your line stats?

I am definitely going to call them up and move to BT on Infinity 1. With the cashback etc should be a nice tidy saving and a home hub 5 for when I come back to Sky ;)

Associate
What are your line stats?

I am definitely going to call them up and move to BT on Infinity 1. With the cashback etc should be a nice tidy saving and a home hub 5 for when I come back to Sky ;)

Stats are:

24o4w3c.png

I have been meaning to give the test port a try. I just unscrew the faceplate and there's a socket underneath, right?

Soldato
I've plugged it into the test socket and the results are worse - 19600 down and 1120 up!

That is very surprising! Are you using the filter? If so remove the filter and try again!

On another note, does anyone else have any experience in using another modem on sky? Is there an increase of speeds or just better router management of traffic?

Back
Top Bottom