*************The 2016 Powerlifting Totals Thread*************

Soldato
You bench 130 and squat 90. Am I reading that right? That's a good bench right there and it seems there are plenty of gains to be made in the squat and deads :cool:

Man of Honour
You bench 130 and squat 90. Am I reading that right? That's a good bench right there and it seems there are plenty of gains to be made in the squat and deads :cool:

You are indeed :p

I only started deadlifting right at the end of last year and only started squatting properly at the start of the summer.

I now absolutely love deadlifting and squats :D

Man of Honour
Years :)

Lots of upper body days, not many leg days :p.

Working to turn that around though.

At least you're doing something about it which is good! :)

When I used to do door work, on of the guys was exactly the same, and he was so easy to take down, little tap to the knee and down he went! :D

Like a house on stilts, knock out the stilts and it topples ;)

Good luck on your journey and keep going for it!

Man of Honour
At least you're doing something about it which is good! :)

When I used to do door work, on of the guys was exactly the same, and he was so easy to take down, little tap to the knee and down he went! :D

Like a house on stilts, knock out the stilts and it topples ;)

Good luck on your journey and keep going for it!

I knew a few like that, every night was spray on tshirt night.

Permabanned
Did mine this morning out of curiosity. Started stronglifts in April as i was weak as hell, its starting to pay off now :)

NexusK --------------------137.5/82.5/155--------------------[72]----------------375

I felt like i had another +2.5KG or +5 in the bench but was too scared to try it without a spot. It was also the first time i've experience failing on squats, that moment of panic before i remembered the bars on the rack could catch the bar lol.

Soldato
A guy in my gym has massive arms and chest but he has to put 2.5kg plates under his heels to squat 80kg just to parallel. It looks quite ridiculous but then again I'm pretty sure half the clientele there don't do legs at all.

Soldato
A guy in my gym has massive arms and chest but he has to put 2.5kg plates under his heels to squat 80kg just to parallel. It looks quite ridiculous but then again I'm pretty sure half the clientele there don't do legs at all.

I have to have a 15kg under my heels on any weight to keep decent form. Sadly I have very taught Achilles tendons I would wager. I squat and I go on my toes almost. So for safety its essential.

Soldato
I have to have a 15kg under my heels on any weight to keep decent form. Sadly I have very taught Achilles tendons I would wager. I squat and I go on my toes almost. So for safety its essential.

Same for me. It's a more quad dominant version of the exercise, Arnie used to do it apparently

Soldato
OP
I'd wager some people genuinely don't have the joint rom to hit "depth" but they're a minority. Squat shoes would eliminate the need for a plate under the heels and provide a much more stable base.

The only person I've ever encountered who they didn't "fix" was a dancer who neglected her calf stretching for years! She spent so much time on her toes that it shortened to the point that she had to have surgery to lengthen it.

Soldato
I doubt even squat shoes would help me :(

My squat depth has been questioned before due to standing position/camera if showing but when I've had people watch they ALL without exception say it goes plenty below parallel and there's virtually no lower I can go save for paused sets and allowing me to sink a bit.

I am that minority.

While your here Reiyushin, just wondering as a general "rule of thumb" if I wanted hit a 250 squat (failed it 4x now) how many reps would I be looking at from a 220? I currently manage 3-4 depending on session?

Soldato
OP
My best before my 250 squat was 3x4x220 but that was coming at it with an inhuman amount of fatigue (the full 13 week smolov cycle)

If you're not squatting 3-4x per week then I'd estimate you'll need a 230x4 before you'll be on track for a 250 but everyone is different.

Man of Honour
Looking good DarkShadow!

Actually got this wrong, didn't add in the bar for my squat, so:

Captainrave ----------------- 90 / 130 / 145 -------------- [80] --------- 365

Fingers crossed for similar gains in 4 weeks :D

New totals:

Captainrave ----------------- 100 / 135 / 145 -------------- [77] --------- 380

Have managed to shed some body fat too with my new diet.

Back
Top Bottom