Playstation Plus

Soldato
I tried Resident Evil the other day, and considering I've never played a Resident Evil game before... I had no clue what was going on with the mechanics. Slashing at Zombies doesn't seem to kill them, it takes a ton of bullets to down one, but recovery daggers one-shot them? I also don't see the point in the aim control... how can one aim with those camera angles? The puzzles are also boggling. A room with a pictured window in the back and a movable statue... nothing happens if I move the statue to the window. Another room has an item in a statue and there doesn't seem to be any way to get it. The one emblem I picked up in the first room doesn't seem to do anything...

I thought games like the original 2D Mario games were hard... but this just seems like it needs a tutorial to explain the complex mechanics, especially to newcomers. Maybe there is and I didn't get it due to choosing the middle difficulty option?

Resident Evil isn't supposed to be easy, it's quite refreshing trying to work out all of the puzzles. Rather than having hints and tutorials guiding you through the game. a lot of the combat is trial and error. Once you have the hang of it you can breeze through the game without having to kill many zombies or even using the stun gun or defensive daggers.

Be prepared for some surprises, surprises which are designed to scare you, seeing as it is a survival horror game ;).

Last edited:
Associate
Resident Evil isn't supposed to be easy, it's quite refreshing trying to work out all of the puzzles. Rather than having hints and tutorials guiding you through the game. a lot of the combat is trial and error. Once you have the hang of it you can breeze through the game without having to kill many zombies or even using the stun gun or defensive daggers.

Be prepared for some surprises, surprises which are designed to scare you, seeing as it is a survival horror game ;).

I gathered that. I'm reminded that I could just Google all the answers, but that would ruin the fun of the game. I know that some zombies can be avoided, but many need to be killed due to being in the way. Like the zombie that appears after the first defensive dagger. The puzzles are just unlike anything I've ever played though. Usually there's some sort of logical explanation or decision, but so far I've seen none of it. Maybe I'm just stuck at the beginning of the game? That sure hasn't happened in a very long time...

Soldato
first Resi will go down as one of the best games of all time for me. Played it to death on release on the playstation. Was absolutely terrifying at points......those spiders....GAHH!

Soldato
I gathered that. I'm reminded that I could just Google all the answers, but that would ruin the fun of the game. I know that some zombies can be avoided, but many need to be killed due to being in the way. Like the zombie that appears after the first defensive dagger. The puzzles are just unlike anything I've ever played though. Usually there's some sort of logical explanation or decision, but so far I've seen none of it. Maybe I'm just stuck at the beginning of the game? That sure hasn't happened in a very long time...

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

Games these days have way too much hand holding.

I find the same thing comes up when some play original point and click adventures.

Soldato

You don't have to kill any of the zombies (well there is one but its not that one :)).

Hell, you can complete the game with mostly the knife :).

Try edging towards the zombies, when they're about to lunge forward start moving back and you can run around them. Might take a few attempts to get the hang of things. Trouble starts when you run into other enemies.

The game is very unforgiving, especially with its save mechanics.

V F

V F

Soldato
I hate zombies. It was bad enough having that feeling in the first Uncharted even though they weren't zombies as such.

Associate
Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

Games these days have way too much hand holding.

I find the same thing comes up when some play original point and click adventures.

Lol, I feel like an old man, but I'm in my early 20s. Incidentally, I'm playing Bloodborne right now and that game also had a similar difficulty curve, but I've now gotten used to the game (though getting overconfident may get me killed). I did read up a little on the wiki about a few mechanics, and surpisingly, it made me even more excited to play and helped me understand the mechanics a bit. I discovered a bunch of secrets/shortcuts just by exploring too.

Thinking about it, Resident Evil probably plays like the original Metal Gear Solid games. I remember getting used to those were difficult at first, but then I got used to it, mastered the mechanics and ended up loving them. I really haven't played Resi enough to get used to the mechanics yet.

Soldato
You get used to it, was my favourite game back in around 1998 (was released two years earlier) I then got the directors cut and that was hard lol.

I actually find bloodborne much harder and gave up :p.

The old games do have chunky game mechanics compared to how fluid controls feel these days, I could see that being a big issue.

Associate
I actually find bloodborne much harder and gave up :p.

I found the first boss easy once I knew what I was doing and prepared thouroughly for it, even using that summon NPC thing. But that boss is just optional... the proper boss for the first level, I'm having real trouble with. Even with the music box which is supposed to make it a lot easier. Molotovs might have made it easier, but not when I keep dying. It's the last part that's the trickiest.

Soldato
Anyone having problems paying for stuff from the online web store. I can get my free monthly PSN games ok.

When I actually go to buy something, with both valid CC and Paypal, it says some error occurred and the transaction can't be completed ?

Soldato
Anyone having problems paying for stuff from the online web store. I can get my free monthly PSN games ok.

When I actually go to buy something, with both valid CC and Paypal, it says some error occurred and the transaction can't be completed ?

I had problems with my very first attempt to purchase after getting my PS4.
I'd put a very valid debit card in and the store response was continuously along the lines of "check all the details of the card carefully". Same happpened with a credit card.
In the end I had to link in my Paypal which in turn went and get payment from my debit card, but it was the only way I could make a purchase.

PSN support were a waste of time with at least 3 "standard script" responses from them telling me to confirm the card was valid, all details entered correctly etc.

Caporegime
Here’s the full line-up, available to download from 1st November:

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, PS4
The Deadly Tower of Monsters, PS4
DiRT 3, PS3
Costume Quest 2, PS3
Letter Quest Remasterd, PS Vita (Cross Buy with PS4)
Pumped BMX+, PS Vita (Cross Buy with PS4 and PS3)

Back
Top Bottom